Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Ants eating through brick mortar!

Oh no they don't just walk in thru holes. Have you not seen the amount of powder/dry mortar they drill out 7n order to claim their home with a queen. !!!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Oh no they don't

They're behind you!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes I got some in through the corner of a window where hthe slight void had
been made from cement but not any longer. Maybe they use formic acid to do
it.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
wrote in message
Oh no they don't just walk in thru holes. Have you not seen the amount of
powder/dry mortar they drill out 7n order to claim their home with a
queen. !!!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/06/2020 19:22, Andrew wrote:

the flying variety took up residence inside my cavity wall
insulation once. One hot day, my bedroom was full of flying ants that
had squeezed through the gap between reveal and window cill.

The flying variety are called wasps. Or bees.

What you had is a regular ant colony. Usually once a year when the
weather is just right they produce a brood of winged male and females.
This is how the colony reproduces.

The males have a day or so, a quick one or two with the females, and
then they are dead.

The females break their wings off and found a new colony. The workers
are all sterile females.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuptial_flight

Andy