Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Windows 10 Version 2004 'New Features'

On Sun, 14 Jun 2020 14:32:18 +0100, John Rumm

Note win 10 has a process that auto disables its SMBv1 client after a
couple of week. That can result in shares where you can ping the server,
and yet not mount or access them - almost like the machine is not on the
network.

You need to go into the add/remove windows components in the Programs
and Features bit of control panel, and find the CIFS/SMB options. Turn
on the client, and turn off the pesky thing that knobbles it.

Ah, thanks very much, with a bit more persistence I've got there.

With the Samsung, net view wouldn't work until after I had logged in
via the Network Browser.

With the Pavilion, SMB1 was not enable and now is.

I can get to both

--
AnthonyL

Why do scientists need to BELIEVE in anything?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/06/2020 18:26, AnthonyL wrote:
On Sun, 14 Jun 2020 14:32:18 +0100, John Rumm

Note win 10 has a process that auto disables its SMBv1 client after a
couple of week. That can result in shares where you can ping the server,
and yet not mount or access them - almost like the machine is not on the
network.

You need to go into the add/remove windows components in the Programs
and Features bit of control panel, and find the CIFS/SMB options. Turn
on the client, and turn off the pesky thing that knobbles it.

Ah, thanks very much, with a bit more persistence I've got there.

With the Samsung, net view wouldn't work until after I had logged in
via the Network Browser.

With the Pavilion, SMB1 was not enable and now is.

I can get to both

Sorted, well done!

(I have been caught out by the poxy auto disable SMB1 thing on a number
of occasions. Trying to access a share, then thinking, "has some muppet
turned off the NAS", before realising I can still ping it!)

--
Cheers,

John.