Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Windows 10 Version 2004 'New Features'

On Sun, 14 Jun 2020 14:32:18 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

On 14/06/2020 13:11, AnthonyL wrote:
On Sun, 14 Jun 2020 11:34:22 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

I have the weirdest of situations with Windows networking (though
reflecting back to the 1980s they couldn't get it right then either).

I have 3 machines, Linux (Ubuntu), XP and Win10 (home)

Linux can see both others and in fact I mount XP shares into Linux
using Cifs.

XP can see Linux.

Win10 can see Linux.

XP can't see Win10 (well it can't access the shares)

I suspect it's all to do with the Master Browser.

The big gottcha with windows hosted shares comes when moving from XP to
later versions.

With XP, it was usually just a case of sharing a folder, and telling it
whether users had read only or read / write access (there was no real
granularity beyond that), and away you go.

On later versions it *appears* to not work as easily.

The reality is simply that most XP systems were using FAT or FAT32 file
systems, which have no concept of user permissions. Hence it was only
the CIFS permissions that you needed to worry about.

Once you are on a later version of windows youa re also likely sharing
stuff on an NTFS file system, which has its own (vastly richer) security
model. The CIFS permissions no longer matter (just set them to
read/write regardless of what you actually want), because its the NTFS
permissions that will do all the heavy lifting.

So to replicate the XP style public share, you need to share the folder
in the same way as on XP, but then right click on the folder and choose
properties. Then on the security tab, select the "Everyone" group, and
click Edit. Now click "Allow" on the Full Control entry. Ok out.

Oh that it were that easy. Depending on the time of day a net view
from XP will, or will not work. I just haven't worked out which times
of day, I think it depends on the direction and strength of the wind.

It all worked quite happily when the other (now Win10) machines were
Win7. It all worked quite happily when the then Win7 machines were
first updated (wrong word really) to Win10.

net view

Server Name Remark

\\HPLINUX hplinux server (Samba, Ubuntu)
\\LENOVO-2729B174 Lenovo
\\NSA310 ZyXEL
\\PAVILION
The command completed successfully.

net view \\pavilion

System error 64 has occurred.
The specified network name is no longer available.

Note win 10 has a process that auto disables its SMBv1 client after a
couple of week. That can result in shares where you can ping the server,
and yet not mount or access them - almost like the machine is not on the
network.

You need to go into the add/remove windows components in the Programs
and Features bit of control panel, and find the CIFS/SMB options. Turn
on the client, and turn off the pesky thing that knobbles it.

I was really hopeful there for a minute.

Turn Windows features on or off:
SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support - all ticked ON
Unclicked Automatic Removal
No difference so rebooted.

C:\Documents and Settings\xxxnet view
Server Name Remark

\\HPLINUX hplinux server (Samba, Ubuntu)
\\LENOVO-2729B174 Lenovo
\\PAVILION
\\SAMSUNG-NETBOOK Netbook
The command completed successfully.

C:\Documents and Settings\xxxnet view \\samsung-netbook
System error 5 has occurred.
Access is denied.

C:\Documents and Settings\xxxnet view \\pavilion
System error 64 has occurred.

The specified network name is no longer available.

C:\Documents and Settings\xxxnet view \\hplinux
Shared resources at \\hplinux

hplinux server (Samba, Ubuntu)

C:\Documents and Settings\xxxnet view \\hplinux
Shared resources at \\hplinux

hplinux server (Samba, Ubuntu)

Share name Type Used as Comment

home Disk al_home
sharedocs Disk Docs in shared_partition
sharepart Disk Shared_partition
sharetest Disk
The command completed successfully.

If I run SMBTREE from the Linux box all the shares on this (XP) are
shown but only the name of the other machines, in line with the above.

--
AnthonyL

Why do scientists need to BELIEVE in anything?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

That's a different error from the others...

I would check the NTFS permissions on the Samsung's shared folders.

If I run SMBTREE from the Linux box all the shares on this (XP) are
shown but only the name of the other machines, in line with the above.

Have you turned off password protected sharing? (otherwise you will need
an account on the target machine that matches the credentials of the
user trying to connect to the share).

You can do Control Panel-Advanced sharing settings, Password protected
sharing in the relevant sections (Private, guest, and All)

--
Cheers,

John.