Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Changing a bath tap washer

I haven't had a need to change a conventional tap washer for maybe 30
years, but when the cold-water bath tap needed to be turned off hard to
stop the flow I reckoned it was time to replace the washer, or at least
check it. The tap/shower combo is very similar to one of these:
https://www.victorianplumbing.co.uk/victoria-traditional-bath-shower-mixer-tap

The tap came apart without any problem, but although I had spare 3/4"
washers handy, surprisingly found that they were far too big. It looked
like the washer was about 1/2". I say "about" because a 1/2" washer
seems about a mm (sorry about the mix of units!) too wide to fit the
headgear. But there is a more awkward issue to get round - although it
was easy to remove the domed nut holding the old washer, it seems
impossible to get the old washer off. It has become very hard, and looks
like it might be recessed in a shallow brass shroud. If it isn't it
appears too thick for the thread the domed nut screws onto. See photos:

Headgear showing old washer in position with 1/2" and 3/8" washers for
comparison:
https://ibb.co/0rLKCVX

Side photo showing old washer on headgear with thread available, domed
nut, and new 1/2" washer.
https://ibb.co/ZgDdnmt

What am I missing? All the internet info pages I have read simply state
"remove the old washer and fit the new one". It doesn't seem that
simple; do I have to cut the old washer off? Should I immerse the new
washer in hot water to soften it before trying to screw on the domed nut?

--

Jeff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 17 June 2020 13:14:21 UTC+1, Jeff Layman wrote:
[...]

Hopefully you can cut it apart. A bit of ali should scrape off any remnants you can't get off otherwise. Normally they come off but I did have a rubber washer years ago turn as hard as stone. I was never able to remove it due its hardness plus restricted access.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

https://www.victorianplumbing.co.uk/...l-bath-shower-

[...]

They used to sit in a cup with a stem that slid into the main housing.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jeff Layman wrote:
[...]

I seem to remember when I've done it in the past that digging the old
washer out of the 'cup' is a bit of a pain. Just be prepared to
destroy it using a small sharpish bladed screwdriver.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lots are in a shroud - it stops them spreading. Go to a decent merchants
and thake the shroud - you will get one to fit. Different tap manufaturers
have had their own standards. Peglar, etc

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/06/20 13:40, Chris Green wrote:
Jeff Layman wrote:
[...]

I decided to do just that - made quite a few cuts with a Stanley knife
and gouged the rest out with a small screwdriver blade. The shroud/cup
was about 2mm deep, and on the circumference of the washer remains was
white stuff. Some sort of adhesive, maybe?

It was just not possible to fit the 1/2" washer, but the 3/8" one did
fit. It was a little bit loose until I screwed down the domed nut, which
compressed it and squeezed it out a fraction. I greased all the threads
and replaced everything. The tap seems to work ok, but time will tell...

Maybe this sort of thing would have done the job:
https://www.wickes.co.uk/Tap-Top-Headwork-3-8-x-1-2in-Xt/p/425091#

None of this seems to be mentioned anywhere on the internet for changing
washers. It's not a simple "remove" and "replace" job at all, and trying
to cut the old washer out can do more than a little damage to your fingers!

--

Jeff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jeff Layman wrote:
[...]

What am I missing?Â* All the internet info pages I have read simply state
"remove the old washer and fit the new one". It doesn't seem that
simple; do I have to cut the old washer off? Should I immerse the new
washer in hot water to soften it before trying to screw on the domed
nut?

I seem to remember when I've done it in the past that digging the old
washer out of the 'cup' is a bit of a pain.Â* Just be prepared to
[...]

Yup, the "standard" sizes seem to come in a range of subtly different
ones... hence those kits of tap washers you can get with 15 variations
of size!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jeff Layman wrote:
[...]

It's not just the washers! I found what I thought might be a complete
replacement in the Oracstar range:
https://www.oracstar.co.uk/plumbing-heating/essential-plumbing-parts/oracstar-tap-gland-8mm-spline-brass-2-pk

Then I found this very similar product:
https://www.oracstar.co.uk/plumbing-heating/essential-plumbing-parts/oracstar-threaded-tap-gland-8mm-spline-brass-2-pk

Although they look similar at first glance, the latter has the threaded
collar required for the tap bell cover to screw onto.

--

Jeff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Old bath taps were intended for use on low pressure (header tank) systems.
New ones are often intended for mains pressure systems and are hence half inch.