Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default angle grinders .

neighbour who is an engineer told me nine inch angle grinders are
banned...is he right ? ...

https://www.avg.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Plenty of people still selling them Screwfix being one!

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/06/2020 15:05, Tricky Dicky wrote:
Plenty of people still selling them Screwfix being one!

Richard

Think He meant banned for use by engieering companies ...I have two nine
inch ones myself ....

https://www.avg.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 14 Jun 2020 07:05:59 -0700, Tricky Dicky wrote:

Plenty of people still selling them Screwfix being one!

Richard

Have they become illegal then ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 14 June 2020 14:33:17 UTC+1, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
neighbour who is an engineer told me nine inch angle grinders are
banned...is he right ? ...

I have one.
They are dangerous if using it to cut and the wheel gets nipped. Had a couple of near misses.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/06/2020 18:20, harry wrote:
On Sunday, 14 June 2020 14:33:17 UTC+1, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
neighbour who is an engineer told me nine inch angle grinders are
banned...is he right ? ...

I have one.
They are dangerous if using it to cut and the wheel gets nipped. Had a couple of near misses.

was there not a case where father and son both got killed killed when a
wheel came off and sliced through them both ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/06/2020 18:20, harry wrote:
On Sunday, 14 June 2020 14:33:17 UTC+1, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
neighbour who is an engineer told me nine inch angle grinders are
banned...is he right ? ...

I have one.
They are dangerous if using it to cut and the wheel gets nipped. Had a couple of near misses.

Can't see them being banned, nothing else like them for cutting slabs,
concrete, etc. While they have a lot of "oomph" they are normally quite
heavy and the inertia makes them manageable.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
newshound writes
On 14/06/2020 18:20, harry wrote:
On Sunday, 14 June 2020 14:33:17 UTC+1, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
neighbour who is an engineer told me nine inch angle grinders are
banned...is he right ? ...

I have one.
They are dangerous if using it to cut and the wheel gets nipped. Had
a couple of near misses.

Can't see them being banned, nothing else like them for cutting slabs,
concrete, etc. While they have a lot of "oomph" they are normally quite
heavy and the inertia makes them manageable.

I'd consider banning battery powered ones. Or improving padlock
security!

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

And your point is?
Judging by the racket on a nice day around here most people have an angle
grinder and a hammer drill and that is all.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Tricky Dicky" wrote in message
Plenty of people still selling them Screwfix being one!

Richard

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I think all power tools capable of making hot dust should come with eye
protection and a face mask of some kind.
People are stupid it is clear. A person I know has suffered for years with
getting tiny metal bits in his eye. The medics have done all they can but
its irritating and now they say they cannot do an mri of his shoulder in
case the bits of metal are affected by the magnetic field.
Health and safety.
Brian

--
----- --

"Smolley" wrote in message ...
On Sun, 14 Jun 2020 07:05:59 -0700, Tricky Dicky wrote:

Plenty of people still selling them Screwfix being one!

Richard

Have they become illegal then ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
newshound wrote:
On 14/06/2020 18:20, harry wrote:
On Sunday, 14 June 2020 14:33:17 UTC+1, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
neighbour who is an engineer told me nine inch angle grinders are
banned...is he right ? ...

I have one.
They are dangerous if using it to cut and the wheel gets nipped. Had a couple of near misses.

Can't see them being banned, nothing else like them for cutting slabs,
concrete, etc. While they have a lot of "oomph" they are normally quite
heavy and the inertia makes them manageable.

I bought mine for trimming bricks round an enlarged window opening. A 4"
one ain't deep enough to cut through a brick.

I'd say they're no more dangerous than a 4" one. Both need treating with
respect.

--
*This message has been ROT-13 encrypted twice for extra security *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 14 Jun 2020 10:20:57 -0700, harry wrote:

On Sunday, 14 June 2020 14:33:17 UTC+1, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
neighbour who is an engineer told me nine inch angle grinders are
banned...is he right ? ...

I have one.
They are dangerous if using it to cut and the wheel gets nipped. Had a
couple of near misses.

Why are they called angle grinders ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/06/2020 16:42, Smolley wrote:
On Sun, 14 Jun 2020 10:20:57 -0700, harry wrote:

On Sunday, 14 June 2020 14:33:17 UTC+1, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
neighbour who is an engineer told me nine inch angle grinders are
banned...is he right ? ...

I have one.
They are dangerous if using it to cut and the wheel gets nipped. Had a
couple of near misses.

Why are they called angle grinders ?

you cut at any angle ? ....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/06/2020 16:42, Smolley wrote:
On Sun, 14 Jun 2020 10:20:57 -0700, harry wrote:

On Sunday, 14 June 2020 14:33:17 UTC+1, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
neighbour who is an engineer told me nine inch angle grinders are
banned...is he right ? ...

I have one.
They are dangerous if using it to cut and the wheel gets nipped. Had a
couple of near misses.

Why are they called angle grinders ?

It's an obsolete spelling of angel. It originates because if you aren't
careful you'll end up with the angels.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 15 June 2020 16:42:44 UTC+1, Smolley wrote:
On Sun, 14 Jun 2020 10:20:57 -0700, harry wrote:

On Sunday, 14 June 2020 14:33:17 UTC+1, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
neighbour who is an engineer told me nine inch angle grinders are
banned...is he right ? ...

I have one.
They are dangerous if using it to cut and the wheel gets nipped. Had a
couple of near misses.

Why are they called angle grinders ?

To differentiate them from straight grinders.
http://www.hmdoyal.com/kpt-power-too...t-grinders.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 15 June 2020 18:38:07 UTC+1, harry wrote:
On Monday, 15 June 2020 16:42:44 UTC+1, Smolley wrote:
On Sun, 14 Jun 2020 10:20:57 -0700, harry wrote:

On Sunday, 14 June 2020 14:33:17 UTC+1, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
neighbour who is an engineer told me nine inch angle grinders are
banned...is he right ? ...

I have one.
They are dangerous if using it to cut and the wheel gets nipped. Had a
couple of near misses.

Why are they called angle grinders ?

To differentiate them from straight grinders.
http://www.hmdoyal.com/kpt-power-too...t-grinders.htm

angle grinders are a relatively modern power tool. Drills OTOH go back millennia.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
newshound wrote:
On 14/06/2020 18:20, harry wrote:
On Sunday, 14 June 2020 14:33:17 UTC+1, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
neighbour who is an engineer told me nine inch angle grinders are
banned...is he right ? ...

I have one.
They are dangerous if using it to cut and the wheel gets nipped. Had a
couple of near misses.

Can't see them being banned, nothing else like them for cutting slabs,
concrete, etc. While they have a lot of "oomph" they are normally quite
heavy and the inertia makes them manageable.

I bought mine for trimming bricks round an enlarged window opening. A 4"
one ain't deep enough to cut through a brick.

I'd say they're no more dangerous than a 4" one.

They are actually, lot more torque and a much bigger
spinning disk if it come apart when the disk jams in
what you are cutting. Much safer to use that disk in
a hand held circular saw if the disk come apart in use.

Both need treating with
respect.

--
*This message has been ROT-13 encrypted twice for extra security *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 16 Jun 2020 16:56:20 +1000, Jake56, better known as cantankerous

"Anonymous" to trolling senile Rodent Speed:
little ignorant ****."
MID:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/06/2020 21:40, wrote:
On Monday, 15 June 2020 18:38:07 UTC+1, harry wrote:
On Monday, 15 June 2020 16:42:44 UTC+1, Smolley wrote:
On Sun, 14 Jun 2020 10:20:57 -0700, harry wrote:

On Sunday, 14 June 2020 14:33:17 UTC+1, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
neighbour who is an engineer told me nine inch angle grinders are
banned...is he right ? ...

I have one.
They are dangerous if using it to cut and the wheel gets nipped. Had a
couple of near misses.

Why are they called angle grinders ?

To differentiate them from straight grinders.
http://www.hmdoyal.com/kpt-power-too...t-grinders.htm

angle grinders are a relatively modern power tool. Drills OTOH go back millennia.

NT

Bought my first one in the early 70's; black and decker, it has done a
lot of work and is still fine. Might have had a couple of sets of
brushes. Still on its original power lead, with only one sticky
hot-shrink splice.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/06/2020 08:12, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
I think all power tools capable of making hot dust should come with eye
protection and a face mask of some kind.
People are stupid it is clear. A person I know has suffered for years with
getting tiny metal bits in his eye. The medics have done all they can but
its irritating and now they say they cannot do an mri of his shoulder in
case the bits of metal are affected by the magnetic field.
Health and safety.
Brian

Even is face masks and eye protection are supplied the stupid will not
wear the PPE. Even if it's used the first time the tool is used the PPE
is unlikely to be stored with the tool and forgotten about the second
time it's used.

At some time in life people have got to take responsibility for their
own safety. The safety information is always included in the manual but
I guess most people don't RTFM. Possibly the problem is sometimes in
dumbed down safety advice in the manuals - part of an Amazon review I
wrote for a Dewalt Mitre saw "Truly awful instruction book. At the back
of the book is some safety related text but most of the manual is
pictures. The first page indicates you should be wearing a wet-suit, be
blindfolded and you should never plug the equipment into the mains nor
operate it if carrying a teddy bear."

Sometimes important safety information is lost in the pages of legal
arse covering...
Do not operate under the influence of alcohol or drugs
Do not operate this power tool in rain
etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 16 June 2020 16:13:17 UTC+1, alan_m wrote:
[...]

Yup, this excess of advice for the retarded actually results in most people NOT reading even basic safety advice. It may be an improvement on the old days of zero safety information, but it's a mostly missed opportunity in safety terms.

Stupid advice is needed for legal reasons. Perhaps it could work a lot better if they put the stupid stuff & the sensible stuff in separate places.

Mind you I did see a deficiency in safety advice with one angle grinder. The instructions failed to point out that the machine should not be used for surgery.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
Sometimes important safety information is lost in the pages of legal
arse covering...
Do not operate under the influence of alcohol or drugs
Do not operate this power tool in rain
etc.

Sounds like Lidl power tool instructions. Pages and pages of legalese, and
all the bits you want crammed into one.

--
*Make it idiot-proof and someone will make a better idiot.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
Sometimes important safety information is lost in the pages of legal
arse covering...
Do not operate under the influence of alcohol or drugs
Do not operate this power tool in rain
etc.

Sounds like Lidl power tool instructions. Pages and pages of legalese, and
all the bits you want crammed into one.

The last bit was from a Makita tools I purchased recently. Some of the
arse covering instructions are generic and do not even apply to the
equipment thus making the list even longer.

Instead of just recommending safety glasses they must comply with ANSI
Z78.1, En 166 or AS/NZS 1336

It appears that in Australia that it's a legal requirement to wear such
PPE when using this tool.

As the TV advert asks "do you locks conform to bs3621 - no-one knows"!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/06/2020 08:14, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
I think the battery powered ones ar used mainly by crooks to get catalytic
converters these days.
Brian

I would guess that the majority are used by law abiding householders and
tradesmen.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

In article ,
wrote:
Sometimes important safety information is lost in the pages of legal
arse covering...
Do not operate under the influence of alcohol or drugs
Do not operate this power tool in rain
etc.

Sounds like Lidl power tool instructions. Pages and pages of legalese, and
all the bits you want crammed into one.

They are all much the same, my Metabo angle grider:

121 pages
pages 2€“3 picture with The Numbering of Parts
pages 4€“5 large table of specifications for every model variant
page 6 pictures with the reference Nrs of accessories

pages 15€“25 English instructions, of which
3 pages of safety instructions
2 pages how to use
the rest being blank space and yet more warnings

the rest of the big fat booklet being in every other language including
a set of pink pages with yet another page of safety instruction in English

--
djc

(–€Ì¿Ä¹Ì¯–€Ì¿ Ì¿)
No low-hanging fruit, just a lot of small berries up a tall tree.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/06/2020 20:39, alan_m wrote:
In article ,
Â*Â*Â* wrote:
Sometimes important safety information is lost in the pages of legal
arse covering...
Do not operate under the influence of alcohol or drugs
Do not operate this power tool in rain
etc.

Sounds like Lidl power tool instructions. Pages and pages of legalese,
and
all the bits you want crammed into one.

The last bit was from a Makita tools I purchased recently. Some of the
arse covering instructions are generic and do not even apply to the
equipment thus making the list even longer.

Instead of just recommending safety glasses they must comply with ANSI
Z78.1, En 166 or AS/NZS 1336

It appears that in Australia that it's a legal requirement to wear such
PPE when using this tool.

I think the key is that the manufacturers do this to ensure they are not
prosecuted for 'dangerous equipment' and failing to inform its
purchasers how to use it.

Viz the apocryphal 'pet in a microwave' case where it was held that the
manufacturer was responsible for failing to inform users that it was not
suitable for drying out wet pets.

So it is less that these things are legal requirements on the *owners*
than that they are legal requirements on the *manufacturers*

There is no legal requirement for me as a private individual to wear
safety gear when chainsawing, and I don't.

But I could not employ someone else and make them perform without it.I
would be personally liable for any ****wittery they might indulge in and
no insurance would cover me.

As the TV advert asks "do you locks conform to bs3621 - no-one knows"!

So change them.

Mine oddly, all do.

Not that my insurance company has ever asked.

Josef Stalin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"newshound" wrote in message
On 14/06/2020 18:20, harry wrote:
On Sunday, 14 June 2020 14:33:17 UTC+1, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
neighbour who is an engineer told me nine inch angle grinders are
banned...is he right ? ...

I have one.
They are dangerous if using it to cut and the wheel gets nipped. Had a
couple of near misses.

Can't see them being banned,

I cant either. They are the only thing to use for some stuff.

nothing else like them for cutting slabs, concrete, etc.

A proper concrete saw is much safer and much easier to use.

While they have a lot of "oomph" they are normally quite heavy and the
inertia makes them manageable.

But that doesnt help if the disk gets jammed and come apart
at high speed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Â*Â*Â* wrote:
[...]

CHUBB VERSION IS A PAIN IN THE ARSE...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 17 Jun 2020 15:34:33 +1000,cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Senile Rot about himself:
"I was involved in the design of a computer OS"
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Not that my insurance company has ever asked.

They used to ask but the difference in premiums for answering yes or no
was a £1 at most.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 17 June 2020 12:00:53 UTC+1, alan_m wrote:

Not that my insurance company has ever asked.

They used to ask but the difference in premiums for answering yes or no
was a £1 at most.

but it gave them the opportunity to not pay out sometimes.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/06/2020 08:14, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
I think the battery powered ones ar used mainly by crooks to get catalytic
converters these days.
Brian

until you mentioned this Brian, I never considered them being used for
pinching cat converters.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
critcher wrote:
On 15/06/2020 08:14, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
I think the battery powered ones ar used mainly by crooks to get
catalytic converters these days.
Brian

until you mentioned this Brian, I never considered them being used for
pinching cat converters.

On some cars they are pretty accessible from underneath. Quicker than a
hacksaw.

--
*Real men don't waste their hormones growing hair

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 14 June 2020 14:33:17 UTC+1, Jim GM4DHJ ...Â* wrote:
neighbour who is an engineer told me nine inch angle grinders are
banned...is he right ? ...

I have one.
They are dangerous if using it to cut and the wheel gets nipped. Had
a couple of near misses.

Can't see them being banned,

I cant either. They are the only thing to use for some stuff.

nothing else like them for cutting slabs, concrete, etc.

A proper concrete saw is much safer and much easier to use.

While they have a lot of "oomph" they are normally quite heavy and the
inertia makes them manageable.

But that doesnt help if the disk gets jammed and come apart
at high speed.

I have never had an angle grinder disk of any size disintegrate. (OK, I
have had the unreinforced Dremel abrasive slitting disks fail). And for
that matter I can't recall an instance of a grindstone failure in my
50-odd years in industry where every production site has quite a decent
mechanical workshop.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"newshound" wrote in message
On 14/06/2020 18:20, harry wrote:
On Sunday, 14 June 2020 14:33:17 UTC+1, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
neighbour who is an engineer told me nine inch angle grinders are
banned...is he right ? ...

I have one.
They are dangerous if using it to cut and the wheel gets nipped. Had a
couple of near misses.

Can't see them being banned,

I cant either. They are the only thing to use for some stuff.

nothing else like them for cutting slabs, concrete, etc.

A proper concrete saw is much safer and much easier to use.

While they have a lot of "oomph" they are normally quite heavy and the
inertia makes them manageable.

But that doesnt help if the disk gets jammed and come apart
at high speed.

I have never had an angle grinder disk of any size disintegrate.

Others have.

(OK, I have had the unreinforced Dremel abrasive slitting disks fail).

And for that matter I can't recall an instance of a grindstone failure in
my 50-odd years in industry where every production site has quite a decent
mechanical workshop.

Those are much more solid than angle grinder cutting disks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default UNBELIEVABLE: It's 06:35 am in Australia and the Senile Ozzietard has been out of Bed and TROLLING for OVER FIVE HOURS already!!!! LOL

On Thu, 18 Jun 2020 06:35:51 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

06:35??? LOL So your first FIVE HOURS of trolling are over already! Still
some miserable 15 hours ahead of you! Right? LMAO

--
Keema Nam addressing nym-shifting senile Rodent:
"You are now exposed as a liar, as well as an ignorant troll."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 17 Jun 2020 19:56:42 +0100, newshound
wrote:

I have never had an angle grinder disk of any size disintegrate. (OK, I
have had the unreinforced Dremel abrasive slitting disks fail). And for
that matter I can't recall an instance of a grindstone failure in my
50-odd years in industry where every production site has quite a decent
mechanical workshop.

I have the (relatively) new 1 mm sheet-metal-cutting disks. They are specced for
sheet metal of a mm or two, for cutting with less heat and less distortion than
the more usual cutting disks -- 5 mm thick or so? I am less inclined to trust
these, particularly if used in cutting thicker stock, as will inevitably happen.
(This lack of trust means I think more about where the bits would fly if it
should shatter, than when using a thick cutting disk. One should be checking if
the sparks are flying somewhere safe anyway, i.e. excluding tile, glass,
glasses, porcelain, ceramic, mirrors, etc from the landing zone. Most who have
used angle grinders have that particular t-shirt, is my guess.)

Any thoughts on the thin slitting disks?

Thomas Prufer