Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 17 Jun 2020 05:27:34 +1000, Joshua Snow, better known as
cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rodent Speed, wrote:

Richard about senile Rodent:
"Rod Speed, a bare faced pig and ignorant ****."
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 17 Jun 2020 05:42:35 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

cretin's pathological trolling:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default I made something...

wrote in message
On Sunday, 14 June 2020 22:58:02 UTC+1, alan_m wrote:
On 14/06/2020 11:53, T i m wrote:

(Stereo?)Typical 'English food' is often considered as being bland,
meat, potatoes and veg, maybe some gravy or a bit of mint sauce /
mustard etc but at least you can then differentiate easily between the
different tastes, however mild they may be?

Most food seems to taste of too much salt which masks the true taste of
many ingredients.

Before the lockdown, staff at my local fish and chip shop thought it
strange that I never wanted salt or vinegar on my take away. In common
with a lot of similar establishment the amount of salt sprinkled on a
single portion of chips possibly exceeds the WHO annual consumption
recommendations.

Because of health reasons my mother never cooked with salt and never put
any on her food. I was brought up under this regime and 60 years later I
still do not add salt to any food. Obviously a lot of processed food is
smothered in the stuff and unfortunately I often find that the
overriding taste is this salt. It's a lot worse in many restaurants
where the cooks seem to think a unit of a pinch is a handful, and as can
be seen with many celebrity cooks on TV shows.

The problem is that too many people are addicted to the taste of salt
and any food without it tastes strange to them. I find that I can enjoy
the true taste of many ingredients without salt but when its added in
"common quantities" during cooking or afterwards it all starts to taste
the same. Could this be why a lot of people think things are bland
because there is no variation in the taste of the salt in what is on
their plates?

I do occasionally enjoy a very spicy meal but not necessarily being
stupidly chilli hot.

The problem is the notion that eating low salt is healthy. It's not.

Easy to claim.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"alan_m" wrote in message
On 14/06/2020 11:53, T i m wrote:

(Stereo?)Typical 'English food' is often considered as being bland,
meat, potatoes and veg, maybe some gravy or a bit of mint sauce /
mustard etc but at least you can then differentiate easily between the
different tastes, however mild they may be?

Most food seems to taste of too much salt which masks the true taste of
many ingredients.

Before the lockdown, staff at my local fish and chip shop thought it
strange that I never wanted salt or vinegar on my take away. In common
with a lot of similar establishment the amount of salt sprinkled on a
single portion of chips possibly exceeds the WHO annual consumption
recommendations.

Because of health reasons my mother never cooked with salt and never put
any on her food. I was brought up under this regime

I never had anything like that.

and 60 years later I still do not add salt to any food.

I dont anymore, but I used to, even to coffee
as a flavour enhancer and to steaks etc.

Obviously a lot of processed food is smothered in the stuff and
unfortunately I often find that the overriding taste is this salt.

I dont get that effect even tho I dont add salt myself anymore.

It's a lot worse in many restaurants where the cooks seem to think a unit
of a pinch is a handful,

I dont get that effect either.

and as can be seen with many celebrity cooks on TV shows.

The problem is that too many people are addicted to the taste of salt

Yeah, my dad was like that, used to use lots of it.

and any food without it tastes strange to them.

Or just less desirable, anyway.

I find that I can enjoy the true taste of many ingredients without salt

Yeah, I can too.

but when its added in "common quantities" during cooking or afterwards it
all starts to taste the same.

I dont get that effect, particularly when I used to add it to steaks etc.

Could this be why a lot of people think things are bland because there is
no variation in the taste of the salt in what is on their plates?

I do find most commercial beer too bland now
that I brew my own, but thats likely a different
effect given that no salt is involved.

I do occasionally enjoy a very spicy meal

but not necessarily being stupidly chilli hot.

I do like stupidly chilli hot and my own tomato
and chilli relish is deliberately very hot and I dont
like the commercial relish, too bland for me even
now I dont add any salt at all.

I do get quite a bit of salt, particularly in the multigrain
breadmix that I noticed the other day has quite a bit of
salt in it, by looking at the ingredients breakdown, not
by taste. And quite a bit of what I eat is stuff you just
roast in a digital air fryer and add potatoes and veg
too which presumably has salt added.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 17 Jun 2020 14:58:06 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH the trolling senile pest's latest troll**** unread

--
"Anonymous" to trolling senile Rodent Speed:
little ignorant ****."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 17 Jun 2020 15:19:52 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent