Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cleaning electrical contacts

Hi all

I have a couple of issues which require me to clean those fragile looking ribbon cables like these

https://images.app.goo.gl/swy7yKKWHqjZ8mND6

They are the type that look more like a strip of plastic that fits into a slot like connector with a tiny plastic strip that seems to hold them in place.

Question is what to use to clean the connection and how best to do it. They seem so fragile and fiddley.

Thanks

Lee.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Lee
Nowell wrote:
Hi all

I have a couple of issues which require me to clean those fragile looking
ribbon cables like these

https://images.app.goo.gl/swy7yKKWHqjZ8mND6

They are the type that look more like a strip of plastic that fits into a
slot like connector with a tiny plastic strip that seems to hold them in
place.

Question is what to use to clean the connection and how best to do it.
They seem so fragile and fiddley.

Cotton buds with contact cleaner or IPA (not the beer type)

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/06/2020 12:19, charles wrote:
In article , Lee
Nowell wrote:
Hi all

I have a couple of issues which require me to clean those fragile looking
ribbon cables like these

https://images.app.goo.gl/swy7yKKWHqjZ8mND6

They are the type that look more like a strip of plastic that fits into a
slot like connector with a tiny plastic strip that seems to hold them in
place.

Question is what to use to clean the connection and how best to do it.
They seem so fragile and fiddley.

Cotton buds with contact cleaner or IPA (not the beer type)

Many moons go, when working in computers, when we got contact problems
we were advised to use Pepsodent toothpaste to clean them. The contacts
were gold, after a while the gold disappeared, we were then told to stop
using it. Now you know where the advert "You will know where the yellow
went" originated!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/06/2020 13:12, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 06/06/2020 11:42, Lee Nowell wrote:
Hi all

I have a couple of issues which require me to clean those fragile
looking ribbon cables like these

https://images.app.goo.gl/swy7yKKWHqjZ8mND6

They are the type that look more like a strip of plastic that fits
into a slot like connector with a tiny plastic strip that seems to
hold them in place.

Question is what to use to clean the connection and how best to do it.
They seem so fragile and fiddley.

Thanks

Lee.

super 10

Methylated spirits if IsoPropyl Alchohol isn't to hand.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
jkn jkn is offline

On Saturday, June 6, 2020 at 11:42:34 AM UTC+1, Lee Nowell wrote:
Hi all

I have a couple of issues which require me to clean those fragile looking ribbon cables like these

https://images.app.goo.gl/swy7yKKWHqjZ8mND6

They are the type that look more like a strip of plastic that fits into a slot like connector with a tiny plastic strip that seems to hold them in place.

Question is what to use to clean the connection and how best to do it. They seem so fragile and fiddley.

Thanks

Lee.

I'd also suggest IPA, but perhaps on a small scrap of suede leather. Make sure
you pull the leather in the right direction.

Another idea might be to use a pencil eraser - one of the soft plastic ones.

You used to be able to get speshul erasors for cleaning contacts; I have one but
haven't seen them for years.

Go slow and gentle whatever you do; a couple of strokes max (!)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/06/2020 11:42, Lee Nowell wrote:
Hi all

I have a couple of issues which require me to clean those fragile looking ribbon cables like these

https://images.app.goo.gl/swy7yKKWHqjZ8mND6

They are the type that look more like a strip of plastic that fits into a slot like connector with a tiny plastic strip that seems to hold them in place.

Question is what to use to clean the connection and how best to do it. They seem so fragile and fiddley.

You can use cleaners like "deoxit", but also a circuit board cleaning
"rubber"[1] is often an easy way to clean those.

[1] A rubber block impregnated with a very fine abrasive - designed for
cleaning copper clad circuit boards prior to layout and etching.

e.g.

https://www.rapidonline.com/Catalogu...0Scrub%20Block

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 6 June 2020 15:20:58 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
[...]

Thanks all. Do I need to clean inside the socket as well as the cable? If so how do you do that?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
jkn jkn is offline

On Saturday, June 6, 2020 at 3:35:51 PM UTC+1, Lee Nowell wrote:
[...]

I hope not! I have no particular tips to offer if you have to do that ;-/

Thanks to John Rumm for reminding me of the 'Seno Rubber' name
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/06/2020 15:35, Lee Nowell wrote:
[...]

No, just the cable typically. Inserting and removing the flexi from the
socket will tend to "wipe" its contacts anyway.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/06/2020 13:02, Broadback wrote:
Many moons go, when working in computers, when we got contact problems
we were advised to use Pepsodent toothpaste to clean them. The contacts
were gold, after a while the gold disappeared, we were then told to stop
using it. Now you know whereÂ* the advert "You will know where the yellow
went" originated!

Gold contacts seldom need cleaning and never with abrasive

Silver is another matter

--
€œThe fundamental cause of the trouble in the modern world today is that
the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt."

- Bertrand Russell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/06/2020 16:23, John Rumm wrote:
No, just the cable typically. Inserting and removing the flexi from the
socket will tend to "wipe" its contacts anyway.

doing that a few times is a better bet than one of those rubbers. Like
the toothpaste it's an abrasive; it'll strip the gold off (if there is any!)

We were warned off them for that reason... sometime in the last millenium.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/06/2020 20:41, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 06/06/2020 16:23, John Rumm wrote:
No, just the cable typically. Inserting and removing the flexi from
the socket will tend to "wipe" its contacts anyway.

doing that a few times is a better bet than one of those rubbers. Like
the toothpaste it's an abrasive; it'll strip the gold off (if there is
any!)

There is not usually gold on that type of flexi.

We were warned off them for that reason... sometime in the last millenium.

Use very gently certainly, but handy in cases of visible corrosion.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Are you sure the tracks just close to the stiffener strip are not fractured?
This is the normal failure mode. Anyone who has had a true Sinclair ZX
computer can tell you all about that particular design issue.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Lee Nowell" wrote in message
Hi all

I have a couple of issues which require me to clean those fragile looking
ribbon cables like these

https://images.app.goo.gl/swy7yKKWHqjZ8mND6

They are the type that look more like a strip of plastic that fits into a
slot like connector with a tiny plastic strip that seems to hold them in
place.

Question is what to use to clean the connection and how best to do it.
They seem so fragile and fiddley.

Thanks

Lee.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Also make sure the sockets are not full of debris from the cable. A give
away that the cable is knackered, or almost.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"charles" wrote in message
In article , Lee
Nowell wrote:
Hi all

I have a couple of issues which require me to clean those fragile looking
ribbon cables like these

https://images.app.goo.gl/swy7yKKWHqjZ8mND6

They are the type that look more like a strip of plastic that fits into a
slot like connector with a tiny plastic strip that seems to hold them in
place.

Question is what to use to clean the connection and how best to do it.
They seem so fragile and fiddley.

Cotton buds with contact cleaner or IPA (not the beer type)

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Lee Nowell wrote:
Hi all

I have a couple of issues which require me to clean those fragile
looking ribbon cables like these

https://images.app.goo.gl/swy7yKKWHqjZ8mND6

They are the type that look more like a strip of plastic that fits into
a slot like connector with a tiny plastic strip that seems to hold them
in place.

Question is what to use to clean the connection and how best to do it.
They seem so fragile and fiddley.

Thanks

Normally, simply removing and replacing will make a decent contact again.
Unless obvious signs of corrosion like green gunge.

--
*Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 06 Jun 2020 13:02:23 +0100, Broadback wrote:

Many moons go, when working in computers, when we got contact problems
we were advised to use Pepsodent toothpaste to clean them. The contacts
were gold, after a while the gold disappeared, we were then told to stop
using it. Now you know where the advert "You will know where the yellow
went" originated!

I think it was: "You'll wonder where the yellow went". I remember because
it was the first TV advert I ever saw.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nowell wrote:
[...]

I would guess there are not many who recall the ad... I only know the
theme tune because I used to here people sing it when I was a kid, and
at the time had no idea what it was about or where it come from!

--
Cheers,

John.