Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cutting up old spring mattress

On 01/06/2020 22:27, PeterC wrote:
Neighbour's clearing part of her garden and discovered the spig part of a
double matress. It's too big to go into the bin or the car.
I've had a go at cutting it but it'd damned hard work and only a junior
hacksaw will do it. The metal is too hard for any ordinary cutters, of
course; I do have cutters for Bowden cables but they're quite expensive and
might be damaged.
I briefly considerd a small AG but holding the springs is pretty well
impossible, there's danger ping-****it and kick-back - and a hell of a lot
of bits to cut.
Any ideas, please? All I can think of is trying to roll it up but it would
take at least 3 people and even then it might win!

BTW, also found 2-off 2.7m lintels (Catnic I suspect but haven't got to the
stage of finding the label). They're new - ie have some packaging left - and
I'm wondering if they're worth anything. That length I assume is for a
garage.

The other thing no-one has mentioned, not particularly practicable for a
mattress perhaps but valid if you need to sever a smaller number of
springs. Heat the spring at one point to red heat with a propane torch
and allow to cool slowly. This annealed region will then cut easily with
hacksaw, side cutter, or bolt cropper.