Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cine film cement

Ive just picked up an old Eumig 8mm projector along with family films from
my mothers flat. Amazingly the projector works just fine. I assumed all
the belts would have rotted away but it seems to use chains.

Anyhow, some of the old acetate films could do with a bit of repair work
and I have a splicer but no acetate cement. What is acetate cement? Could
I just try acetone or is there more to it than that? There are some small
bottles available on eBay but theyre pretty pricey.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ wrote:
Ive just picked up an old Eumig 8mm projector along with family films from
my mothers flat. Amazingly the projector works just fine. I assumed all
the belts would have rotted away but it seems to use chains.

Anyhow, some of the old acetate films could do with a bit of repair work
and I have a splicer but no acetate cement. What is acetate cement? Could
I just try acetone or is there more to it than that? There are some small
bottles available on eBay but theyre pretty pricey.

If it really is acetate film and needs 'repair work' then you need
experienced professional help, it will disintegrate almost as you look
at it. However I *suspect* it's not really acetate film.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Green Wrote in message:
Tim+ wrote:
I?ve just picked up an old Eumig 8mm projector along with family films from
my mother?s flat. Amazingly the projector works just fine. I assumed all
the belts would have rotted away but it seems to use chains.

Anyhow, some of the old acetate films could do with a bit of repair work
and I have a splicer but no acetate cement. What is acetate cement? Could
I just try acetone or is there more to it than that? There are some small
bottles available on eBay but they?re pretty pricey.

If it really is acetate film and needs 'repair work' then you need
experienced professional help, it will disintegrate almost as you look
at it. However I *suspect* it's not really acetate film

it's ...........

You big tease...
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ wrote:
Ive just picked up an old Eumig 8mm projector along with family films
from
my mothers flat. Amazingly the projector works just fine. I assumed
all
the belts would have rotted away but it seems to use chains.

Anyhow, some of the old acetate films could do with a bit of repair work
and I have a splicer but no acetate cement. What is acetate cement?
Could
I just try acetone or is there more to it than that? There are some
small
bottles available on eBay but theyre pretty pricey.

If it really is acetate film and needs 'repair work' then you need
experienced professional help, it will disintegrate almost as you look
at it. However I *suspect* it's not really acetate film.

How old are the films, roughly. My dad's Super 8 films from late 60s to late
70s were shot on either Kodachrome or Fujichrome. The Kodachrome ones can be
spliced with acetate cement (which did not smell of acetone - it was a very
characteristic smell, but not acetone) whereas the base of the Fujichrome
ones isn't dissolved at all by the solvent, and can only be spliced with
perforated tape.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ wrote:
[...]

Theyre from the 70s. They dont feel or look like theyre in danger of
disintegrating imminently. I think theyre mostly Kodachrome.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ wrote:
[...]

Super glue. Seriously, it works fine.
Do you have a film splicer?
--

%Profound_observation%

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graham. wrote:
Tim+ wrote:
[...]

Yep. In was in the box of bits with the projector.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/05/2020 20:34, Tim+ wrote:
Ive just picked up an old Eumig 8mm projector along with family films from
my mothers flat. Amazingly the projector works just fine. I assumed all
the belts would have rotted away but it seems to use chains.

Anyhow, some of the old acetate films could do with a bit of repair work
and I have a splicer but no acetate cement. What is acetate cement? Could
I just try acetone or is there more to it than that? There are some small
bottles available on eBay but theyre pretty pricey.

Tim

balsa cement is the same thing
#

--
Of what good are dead warriors? €¦ Warriors are those who desire battle
more than peace. Those who seek battle despite peace. Those who thump
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/05/2020 20:34, Tim+ wrote:
Ive just picked up an old Eumig 8mm projector along with family films from
my mothers flat. Amazingly the projector works just fine. I assumed all
the belts would have rotted away but it seems to use chains.

Anyhow, some of the old acetate films could do with a bit of repair work
and I have a splicer but no acetate cement. What is acetate cement? Could
I just try acetone or is there more to it than that? ...

It is film base dissolved in either acetone or methyl ethyl ketone.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"nightjar" wrote in message
On 24/05/2020 20:34, Tim+ wrote:
Ive just picked up an old Eumig 8mm projector along with family films
from
my mothers flat. Amazingly the projector works just fine. I assumed
all
the belts would have rotted away but it seems to use chains.

Anyhow, some of the old acetate films could do with a bit of repair work
and I have a splicer but no acetate cement. What is acetate cement?
Could
I just try acetone or is there more to it than that? ...

It is film base dissolved in either acetone or methyl ethyl ketone.

Ah! MEK - that's what the sweetish smell is. I should have thought of a
ketone, given that I remembered the sweet smell.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ wrote:
Ive just picked up an old Eumig 8mm projector along with family films from
my mothers flat. Amazingly the projector works just fine. I assumed all
the belts would have rotted away but it seems to use chains.

Anyhow, some of the old acetate films could do with a bit of repair work
and I have a splicer but no acetate cement. What is acetate cement? Could
I just try acetone or is there more to it than that? There are some small
bottles available on eBay but theyre pretty pricey.

Tim

I thought they used special tape- a bit like sellotape- which you placed in
the spicer and it squeezed it down, trimmed it, etc. I half remember
seeing it done once or twice.

--
https://www.unitedway.org/our-impact...an-trafficking
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Reay wrote:
Tim+ wrote:
Ive just picked up an old Eumig 8mm projector along with family films from
my mothers flat. Amazingly the projector works just fine. I assumed all
the belts would have rotted away but it seems to use chains.

Anyhow, some of the old acetate films could do with a bit of repair work
and I have a splicer but no acetate cement. What is acetate cement? Could
I just try acetone or is there more to it than that? There are some small
bottles available on eBay but theyre pretty pricey.

Tim

I thought they used special tape- a bit like sellotape- which you placed in
the spicer and it squeezed it down, trimmed it, etc. I half remember
seeing it done once or twice.

Oddly enough that was my memory too but I think I was confusing it with
magnetic tape splicing. Taping a film splice is going to mess with the
sprocket holes so I dont think it would work.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim+" wrote in message
Brian Reay wrote:
Tim+ wrote:
[...]

Professional film splicing does use tape because it is stronger than
solvent-welding of the film base. The tape is designed to be as near
invisible as possible and has sprocket holes punched in it (or else maybe
the splicing tool punches them).

To get completely invisible splices, cinema films and high-quality TV drama
use a technique called A/B roll editing, in which the shots are divided into
two alternate groups and assembled with black film in between. See
https://www.mvrop.org/cms/lib03/CA01...ST-Editing.pdf
"A/B Rolling".