Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Name of a particular paper folder or binder?

Going back 50 years, I used to use a large loose leaf book, the outer
being two thick black boards, the two joined by a pair of thick straps.
One outer had a key hole, the key being cranked, and operation of the
key caused the straps to be drawn into the cover. Pages had a special T
shaped cut out, which was arranged around the straps, the key operated
which tightened the straps, securing the book. Unwinding the key
released the straps, enabling new pages to be added or old ones
replaced.

What I can't remember is how the cut outs were formed in each sheet of
paper. Presumably something like a standard hole punch, but larger.

My Google-fu is having a day off. Any idea what that type of binder was
called?
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/05/2020 08:03, Graeme wrote:

Going back 50 years, I used to use a large loose leaf book, the outer
being two thick black boards, the two joined by a pair of thick straps.
One outer had a key hole, the key being cranked, and operation of the
key caused the straps to be drawn into the cover.Â* Pages had a special T
shaped cut out, which was arranged around the straps, the key operated
which tightened the straps, securing the book.Â* Unwinding the key
released the straps, enabling new pages to be added or old ones replaced.

What I can't remember is how the cut outs were formed in each sheet of
paper.Â* Presumably something like a standard hole punch, but larger.

My Google-fu is having a day off.Â* Any idea what that type of binder was
called?

I vaguely remember something like that. They were very fiddly to
reassemble as I recall. The boards/covers were in two pieces, one was
narrow (may be 1cm ) and the rest a little under A4 (or may be foolscap
in those days!). The holes for the binding part were in the narrow bit
and the two parts were held together by a cover made of a cloth like
material to form a hinge.

There was another, simpler, system, which used a spring link thing which
went through the holes in the paper and covers (just normal round holes)
and then there was a metal part which the ends tucked under.

From memory, they were used in part of a Company worked in as a Vac
student in the mid/late 70s. Possibly another part of the same (overall)
Company I joined on graduating in '79.

As for the name/make- no idea, they were just a stock item in the
stationary cupboard and you asked the Stationary Overlord for one,
pledged the blood of your first born etc ...at least unless they needed
a radio fixing ;-)

--

https://www.unitedway.org/our-impact...an-trafficking

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Jim GM4DHJ ...
writes
On 06/05/2020 08:03, Graeme wrote:
My Google-fu is having a day off.* Any idea what that type of binder
was called?

Crown binder? ...

Certainly looks similar. The paper, though, had two cut outs down one
long edge, each T shaped like this :

!
!
! ___
! ! !
----! !
! paper formed around strap
----! !
! ! !
! ---
!

I have six crank keys here, four brass and two plated. I'm sure the
plated ones were for the binder.
--
Graeme