Posted to uk.d-i-y
Alex Coleman

Default Drill bit to drill paper for ring binder

I sometimes have a document which is bound and which I want to file in a
ring binder.

Where can I get a drill bit for paper (I think it needs to have a hollow
tip) which I can use at home with an ordinary hand-held power drill?

Needs to be cheap: not £15 plus!

So none of this fancy stuff http://www.clc-online.co.uk/finish.htm
Posted to uk.d-i-y
jkn

Hi Alex

Alex Coleman wrote:
I sometimes have a document which is bound and which I want to file in a
ring binder.

Where can I get a drill bit for paper (I think it needs to have a hollow
tip) which I can use at home with an ordinary hand-held power drill?

Needs to be cheap: not £15 plus!

So none of this fancy stuff http://www.clc-online.co.uk/finish.htm

I asked about this sort of thing a few months ago on uk.d-i-y, and also
did a bit of research elsewhere. You can buy spare bits for the sort of
machine you list - eBay has them from time to time. I would anticipate
that for your needs one of these bits in a pillar drill might work, but
I have no idea of the necessary speed or other precautions - you're on
your own!

eBay also has the complete 'paper drills' for auction as well from time
to time. If there's a 'local pickup only' one going near you you might
get it for a reasonable price.

You can also get manual version of this sort of thing. They are sold
(again, I know of them via eBay) as 'punches' for card and leather. The
ones I have seen sell for more than your cost though. I actually bought
something like this on eBay for a fiver or so which works very well.
It's made by 'Zenith' (Italian though, I think) and was designed for
salesmen etc., similar to your purpose. This was a one-off buy though,
it's an old unit.

Colin Bignell of this parish kindly send me a length of stainless steel
hollow tubing of the appropriate outside diameter. The idea was to
sharpen it on the inside, and again mount it again in a pillar drill. I
never got around to this, due my purchases above and below ... I also
think, by comparison with what I ended up with, that the wall thickness
would have been too large.

At the same time as all of this (it was a fortuitous fortnight!) I came
across an 'Extra Heavy Duty' hole punch - £4 in a charity shop ;-).
You might look for these again on eBay. 'Velos Perforex' is the style,
but make sure it's an extra heavy duty one. This has two hollow punches
and a 'throat' of half an inch or so, & is built to match. They are
forty quid or so if you can find them new.

Have a look for my previous thread on this forum - search for 'paper
drill' for a bit more info.

HTH
Jon N

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Walker

jkn wrote:
Hi Alex

Alex Coleman wrote:
I sometimes have a document which is bound and which I want to
file in a ring binder.

Where can I get a drill bit for paper (I think it needs to have
a hollow tip) which I can use at home with an ordinary hand-held
power drill?

Needs to be cheap: not £15 plus!

Clamp it in plywood and drill with a thin auger bit (eg the 6 or 8mm from
Screwfix item 18144)?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Dingley

On Mon, 05 Jun 2006 21:04:43 +0100, Alex Coleman
wrote:

I sometimes have a document which is bound and which I want to file in a
ring binder.

Where can I get a drill bit for paper (I think it needs to have a hollow
tip) which I can use at home with an ordinary hand-held power drill?

IMHE it needs to be used in a drill press, and a rigid one at that -
certainly not a hand-held drill. As it's a tube, not a central point,
there's almost no centring action and it "walks" everywhere.

You can easily make your own from a pice of steel tube (car brake pipe),
sharpened on the inside with a countersink bit. Case-harden it, or else
turn it from a hardenable steel, if you need good wear out of it.

Needs to be cheap: not £15 plus!

Here you go - a penny under 8-)
http://www.morplan.co.uk/ProductDisp...50/16251/62278

This is actually a good source of drill bits and a wooden / plastic
handle wouldn't take long to make.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
dennis@home

wrote:

I sometimes have a document which is bound and which I want to file
in a ring binder.

Where can I get a drill bit for paper (I think it needs to have a
hollow tip) which I can use at home with an ordinary hand-held power
drill?

IMHE it needs to be used in a drill press, and a rigid one at that -
certainly not a hand-held drill. As it's a tube, not a central point,
there's almost no centring action and it "walks" everywhere.

You can easily make your own from a pice of steel tube (car brake
pipe), sharpened on the inside with a countersink bit. Case-harden
it, or else turn it from a hardenable steel, if you need good wear
out of it.

Needs to be cheap: not £15 plus!

Here you go - a penny under 8-)
http://www.morplan.co.uk/ProductDisp...50/16251/62278

He won't drill through many pages of a bound document with that.
I think clamping the document between two wooden batterns and using a plain
ordinary HSS drill would be better.
Obviously easier and safer with a drill press.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
jkn

Andy Dingley wrote:
[...]

Here you go - a penny under 8-)
http://www.morplan.co.uk/ProductDisp...50/16251/62278

This is actually a good source of drill bits and a wooden / plastic
handle wouldn't take long to make.

Thanks for the link Andy - this 'pattern drill' is very similar to the
Zenit tool I mentioned above - in fact I'd hazard that the Zenit is a
'consumer' modification. The bits look identical. So I can vouch for
the practicality. You could fairly quickly cut a couple of holes in a
thick magazine - say 6-7mm - with this.

Jon N

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Alex Coleman wrote:
I sometimes have a document which is bound and which I want to file in a
ring binder.

Where can I get a drill bit for paper (I think it needs to have a hollow
tip) which I can use at home with an ordinary hand-held power drill?

Needs to be cheap: not £15 plus!

So none of this fancy stuff http://www.clc-online.co.uk/finish.htm

Build your own power lasers are quite doable now.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John

Alex Coleman wrote:
I sometimes have a document which is bound and which I want to file in a
ring binder.

Where can I get a drill bit for paper (I think it needs to have a hollow
tip) which I can use at home with an ordinary hand-held power drill?

Needs to be cheap: not £15 plus!

So none of this fancy stuff http://www.clc-online.co.uk/finish.htm

It's a hand operated version and a bit more than £15 but they
certainly work.
http://www.euroffice.co.uk/itm_show....255=&AFF=DTIME

PSA Sand Paper Leon Woodworking 18 May 29th 05 03:48 PM
Drill help barry martin Home Repair 0 November 2nd 04 11:27 PM
Measuring, lining up & drilling holes Daven Thrice Metalworking 23 September 14th 04 08:33 PM
deep hole question Bill Chernoff Metalworking 14 June 18th 04 05:36 PM
how to drill post holes in solid rock klim Home Repair 13 March 9th 04 02:41 AM