Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default I have broken the Peugeot

On 25/04/2020 08:40, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 25/04/2020 08:39, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 25/04/2020 08:32, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
Don't mention Fiat.
* I am not a driver but the two times I've ever been in one, things
inexplicable go south.
* 1, on holiday with a friend in Guernsey. Hire a Fiat Tipo... should
Have
known from the name it was a tip. First, driver cuts chin on a large
burr on
the drivers door corner. Then 200 yards don't the road, the control
stalk on
the steering column comes off, the moulding has a thin section where the
plastic is missing. Had to go back and get a ford..
* In Malta. One of those little Fiat minibuses with the rear lift up
door for
luggage? Off to airport, climbing a hill and the lock on the rear door
spontaneously unlocks tipping all the luggage of the passengers into the
middle of the road.
* One of the people in the vehicle lost a china plate in that one.
The lock
was buggered so ten minutes were wasted* procuring some rope and
tying it
closed again.
* Bah Humbug.
* Brian

total junk had two Cinquecento's...was enough for me...engine mount
went and seat adjustment lever broke etc etc ...nice wee chain cam
engine though ..

went to London in it once.....

And probably used as much fuel as a car with a 4-pot engine twice the
capacity.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/04/2020 12:03, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
In article ,
*** Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
total junk had two Cinquecento's

It takes a real fool to buy a second car they consider junk.

but the second one was from a guy who died .....

... waiting for AA recovery in the Scottish highlands ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
charles wrote:
the Anglia 105E used the same dynamo (a Lucas part) as the Mini.
It was cheaper from a Ford Dealer.

Even cheaper from Lucas if you could blag trade from them. ;-)

They used to have a depot not far from TV Centre.

The mini used to have an engine common with a peugeot 208
but if you try and get parts from a pug agent they will
refuse to sell.

Volvo V50 uses parts like rear wheel hubs that have
FoMoCo stamped on them.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/04/2020 12:22, charles wrote:
In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
charles wrote:
the Anglia 105E used the same dynamo (a Lucas part) as the Mini.
It was cheaper from a Ford Dealer.

Even cheaper from Lucas if you could blag trade from them. ;-)

They used to have a depot not far from TV Centre.

I remember a motor factor in Hammersmith Grove and a Ford dealer in Percy
Road.

Oil drum lane ?.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/04/2020 12:24, Andrew wrote:
[...]

probably but I didn't go over 60 ....

https://www.avg.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

*** Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
total junk had two Cinquecento's

It takes a real fool to buy a second car they consider junk.

but the second one was from a guy who died .....

.. waiting for AA recovery in the Scottish highlands ?

two hours it took for me at Edinburgh Royal...RAC

https://www.avg.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/04/2020 12:29, Andrew wrote:
On 25/04/2020 12:22, charles wrote:
In article ,
*** Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
*** charles wrote:
the Anglia 105E used the same dynamo (a Lucas part) as the Mini.
It was cheaper from a Ford Dealer.

Even cheaper from Lucas if you could blag trade from them. ;-)

They used to have a depot not far from TV Centre.

I remember a motor factor in Hammersmith Grove and a Ford dealer in Percy
Road.

Oil drum lane ?.

fictional

https://www.avg.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andrew
writes
Volvo V50 uses parts like rear wheel hubs that have
FoMoCo stamped on them.

Ford used to own Volvo, so that comes as no surprise. I think the V50
was based on the Focus.

Adrian
--
To Reply :
replace "diy" with "news" and reverse the domain

If you are reading this from a web interface eg DIY Banter,
DIY Forum or Google Groups, please be aware this is NOT a forum, and
you are merely using a web portal to a USENET group. Many people block
posters coming from web portals due to perceieved SPAM or inaneness.
For a better method of access, please see:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
charles wrote:
the Anglia 105E used the same dynamo (a Lucas part) as the Mini.
It was cheaper from a Ford Dealer.

I remember when BMC brought out the 5 main bearing version of the B series
engine for the Austin 1800. The same then fitted to the MGB.

If you had an older MGB with the 3 bearing crank and it had broken, easy
fix was a new short engine.

And an MG short engine cost a lot more than the Austin one. Only
difference was the block colour. Look up the parts fiche, and all the
component parts identical.

--
*This message has been ROT-13 encrypted twice for extra security *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

In article ,
ARW wrote:
Not much effort really.

I cannot open the fuel cap as the key will not fit in it (it used to do).

30 miles to home with 44 miles showing on the range.

Had to drive like a girl and limp it home.

Pal had a near new Peugeot camper van stolen. Oddly, no audible alarm, as
it was parked outside his house. But did have a (extra) tracker fitted.

So quickly recovered. Insurance company took over a month to repair
things. And changed all the locks. But forgot the filler cap. And kept all
the old keys.

AA got the cap off in seconds.

I could but preferred not to try damaging anything (the cordless angle
grinder was ready to go)

I wonder if they changed the glovebox lock and (if it has it) the
passenger airbag on/off lock?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 25/04/2020 11:40, John wrote:
Richard wrote in news:r80vjr$14pa$1
@gioia.aioe.org:

On 25/04/2020 08:40, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 25/04/2020 08:39, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

total junk had two Cinquecento's...was enough for me...engine mount
went and seat adjustment lever broke etc etc ...nice wee chain cam
engine though ..
went to London in it once.....

And walked back?

Most problems give some sort of warning. I bet the petrol cap lock had been
a bit stiff for a while. Ignoring warning signs is pretty common now.

Maybe, but it's the first time I have filled up that van as I only got
it on Tuesday.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/04/2020 12:28, Andrew wrote:
The mini used to have an engine common with a peugeot 208

What?

--
People believe certain stories because everyone important tells them,
and people tell those stories because everyone important believes them.

Paul Krugman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Andrew wrote:

The mini used to have an engine common with a peugeot 208

What?

BMW not BMC

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_engine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew wrote:

The mini used to have an engine common with a peugeot 208

What?

BMW not BMC

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_engine

That was the 207 not the 208

My jaguar has a Peugeot diesel in it then!
Same as goes in a Ford transit, sort of
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_AJD-V6/PSA_DT17

No one builds all their own cars these days.

Mark Twain
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
ARW wrote:
AA got the cap off in seconds.

I could but preferred not to try damaging anything (the cordless angle
grinder was ready to go)

I was told he basically just forced a screwdriver into the key slot.

I wonder if they changed the glovebox lock and (if it has it) the
passenger airbag on/off lock?

Dunno. It seems odd to me that Fiat couldn't supply a new steering lock to
match the original keys. Rather than change them all.

--
*If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

In article ,
ARW wrote:
AA got the cap off in seconds.

I could but preferred not to try damaging anything (the cordless angle
grinder was ready to go)

I was told he basically just forced a screwdriver into the key slot.

I wonder if they changed the glovebox lock and (if it has it) the
passenger airbag on/off lock?

Dunno. It seems odd to me that Fiat couldn't supply a new steering lock to
match the original keys. Rather than change them all.

Ahhh.

I was assuming that the keys had been stolen and used as the method of
theft.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote on 25/04/2020 :
Maybe, but it's the first time I have filled up that van as I only got it on
Tuesday.

Did I mention the time I filled up a company vehicle and the hose
nozzle of the pump, became jammed in the filler? I had to call out the
AA to release it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew wrote:

The mini used to have an engine common with a peugeot 208

What?

BMW not BMC

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_engine

That was the 207 not the 208

My jaguar has a Peugeot diesel in it then!
Same as goes in a Ford transit, sort of
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_AJD-V6/PSA_DT17

No one builds all their own cars these days.

Hyundai and some of the Japs do.

Mark Twain

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 25/04/2020 04:47, Rod Speed wrote:

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
On 24/04/2020 21:05, Rod Speed wrote:
ARW wrote
Not much effort really.

I cannot open the fuel cap as the key will not fit in it (it used to
do).

30 miles to home with 44 miles showing on the range.

Had to drive like a girl and limp it home.

Why does everything you drive turn to dog **** ?

some people just don't have the grasp ...

He claims its because he does a hell of
a lot more miles than anyone else does.

40000 miles a year is above average.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 26 Apr 2020 04:28:34 +1000, Joshua Snow, better known as
cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rodent Speed, wrote:

Website (from 2007) dedicated to the 86-year-old trolling senile
cretin from Oz:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW Wrote in message:
In article ,
ARW wrote:
AA got the cap off in seconds.

I could but preferred not to try damaging anything (the cordless angle
grinder was ready to go)

I was told he basically just forced a screwdriver into the key slot.

I wonder if they changed the glovebox lock and (if it has it) the
passenger airbag on/off lock?

Dunno. It seems odd to me that Fiat couldn't supply a new steering lock to
match the original keys. Rather than change them all.

Ahhh.

I was assuming that the keys had been stolen and used as the method of
theft.

;-)
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
ARW wrote:
In article ,
ARW wrote:
AA got the cap off in seconds.

I could but preferred not to try damaging anything (the cordless angle
grinder was ready to go)

I was told he basically just forced a screwdriver into the key slot.

I wonder if they changed the glovebox lock and (if it has it) the
passenger airbag on/off lock?

Dunno. It seems odd to me that Fiat couldn't supply a new steering lock to
match the original keys. Rather than change them all.

Ahhh.

I was assuming that the keys had been stolen and used as the method of
theft.

No - they simply smashed the steering lock. And it seems a easily obtained
device plugged into the diagnostic socket bypassed the immobiliser, and
allowed it to be driven away. Got into the vehicle by smashing the
quarterlight.

Seemed very odd to me a 40 grand vehicle didn't have an audible alarm
when broken into. Nor did the aftermarket tracker system inform it had
been broken into. But did allow it to be found very quickly.

--
*If at first you do succeed, try not to look too astonished.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman wrote:

Seemed very odd to me a £40 grand vehicle didn't have an audible alarm
when broken into.

The factory alarm on mine is ridiculously quiet, you'd assume it was
from a car streets away, though it can send alerts to a mobile app.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Dave Plowman wrote:

Seemed very odd to me a 40 grand vehicle didn't have an audible alarm
when broken into.

The factory alarm on mine is ridiculously quiet, you'd assume it was
from a car streets away, though it can send alerts to a mobile app.

This one was parked outside the owner's place, and in a pretty quiet
street. It was also stolen within about a 1 hour window. There when
walking the dog last thing, but noticed it gone from the bedroom window
when going to bed.

--
*In "Casablanca", Humphrey Bogart never said "Play it again, Sam" *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Plywood lining in a Peugeot Van Adrian Brentnall UK diy 4 September 11th 09 11:56 AM
win a New peugeot 207 [email protected] UK diy 0 September 17th 07 04:44 PM
Peugeot test!! Anton11 Home Repair 0 January 20th 07 01:22 AM
Peugeot 306 TD fuel gauge and speedo problem Holly, in France UK diy 0 August 7th 06 10:57 AM
Fitting Tow bar electrics to a Peugeot 106 TS UK diy 2 May 22nd 06 09:52 AM