Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Prep for garden walls to be rendered

Hi All.

I have recently had a lot of building work completed which includes the some
garden walls.
We potentially want to render most of the walls (pics attached note the back
wall is solid and we're probably no going to render that one) but we've been a
bit handicapped because unfortunately our builders have back filled them with
rubble without any thought for waterproofing in prep for render.

Though rubble means drainage is good away from the back face I'm now thinking
I'll have to pull all the backfill out?!

You can get wide rolls of DPC membrane up to 900mm. Would this do? Ny only
concern is the rubble ripping it when it goes back in.

A paint DPC in this case wouldn't work as the back of the wall is too rough so
couldn't garauntee coverage.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Caddy.

https://www.homeownershub.com/img/mg
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/mh
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/mi

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/04/2020 21:44, Caddy wrote:
[...]

So these are retaining walls? Do you know if there is a drain behind
them? If not, the usual thing would be to put some weep holes near the
bottom (or take out some of the vertical mortar every few bricks along
the bottom course). Then you can safely paint the exposed surface
because it will (or should) drain to your paved area.