Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default It pays to fix things quickly.

On 24/03/2020 13:18, PeterC wrote:
Back door catch was staying in after opening the door; putting the handle up
forced it out (5-point locking).
Stripped and cleaned it, operated it on the bench whilst looking all over it
and spotted a grub screw by the latch part of the mechanism. It was just
getatable in one position, tried it and it was a couple of turns undone and
rubbing against the mech. Free after tightening.
Those mechs. are complex and all rivetted together, so if the screw had
dropped out...! £50-odd quid down.

Sorry - should have put OT.

Seems pretty on topic to me. I'd probably have added some loctite too.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 24 Mar 2020 21:20:02 +0000, newshound wrote:

On 24/03/2020 13:18, PeterC wrote:
Back door catch was staying in after opening the door; putting the handle up
forced it out (5-point locking).
Stripped and cleaned it, operated it on the bench whilst looking all over it
and spotted a grub screw by the latch part of the mechanism. It was just
getatable in one position, tried it and it was a couple of turns undone and
rubbing against the mech. Free after tightening.
Those mechs. are complex and all rivetted together, so if the screw had
dropped out...! £50-odd quid down.

Sorry - should have put OT.

Seems pretty on topic to me. I'd probably have added some loctite too.

Too oily/greasy and impossible to clean out. It would have been marginal for
clearance to get out and probably not possible to align it to put in.
Still, it's lasted 29 years-time when it first worked loose, so should
outlast me be days/weeks/years (depending on another factor).
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/03/2020 21:20, newshound wrote:

Seems pretty on topic to me. I'd probably have added some loctite too.

It's off topic this is a Brexit Coronavirus group!