Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Car battery

Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

On 26/03/2020 17:13, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

On 23/03/2020 08:26, ss wrote:

would that have been a same sex marriage Ophelia ? ....bona

No, you missed the attributions; Ophelia was just lolling - a one
liner.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

On 23/03/2020 08:26, ss wrote:

would that have been a same sex marriage Ophelia ? ....bona

No, you missed the attributions; Ophelia was just lolling - a one
liner.

Roger Hayter

=====

I don't understand what he means.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

--

On 23/03/2020 08:26, ss wrote:

would that have been a same sex marriage Ophelia ? ....bona

No, you missed the attributions; Ophelia was just lolling - a one
liner.

Roger Hayter

=====

I don't understand what he means.

Neither do I, but it is clear that he was replying to bert's post under
the mistaken impression that you had written it.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

--

--

On 23/03/2020 08:26, ss wrote:

would that have been a same sex marriage Ophelia ? ....bona

No, you missed the attributions; Ophelia was just lolling - a one
liner.

Roger Hayter

=====

I don't understand what he means.

Neither do I, but it is clear that he was replying to bert's post under
the mistaken impression that you had written it.

Roger Hayter

====

Ahh ok, thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/03/2020 08:26, ss wrote:

would that have been a same sex marriage Ophelia ? ....bona

No, you missed the attributions; Ophelia was just lolling - a one
liner.

I see that now...bloody computers...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

--

--

On 23/03/2020 08:26, ss wrote:
would that have been a same sex marriage Ophelia ? ....bona

No, you missed the attributions;** Ophelia was just lolling - a one
liner.

Roger Hayter

=====

**** I don't understand what he means.

Neither do I, but it is clear that he was replying to bert's post under
the mistaken impression that you had written it.

Roger Hayter

====

* Ahh ok, thanks

that is what showed here on thunderbird...missed the Bert bit...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 23 Mar 2020 19:36:35 +0000, Andy Burns wrote:

harry wrote:

It strikes me that these cars must have one hell of a starter motor!

They use the normal pinion starter when the engine is cold, and use the
alternator to start it via the belt once it's warmed up (oil less
viscous)

Mine did have to have a new belt tensioner at under 2 years old.

Do they generate a high current AC source to drive the alternator...?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:

harry wrote:

It strikes me that these cars must have one hell of a starter motor!

They use the normal pinion starter when the engine is cold, and use the
alternator to start it via the belt once it's warmed up (oil less viscous)

Mine did have to have a new belt tensioner at under 2 years old.

And now they've issued a recall to replace the starternator itself,
apparently water gets in and can cause overheating or fire ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/03/2020 18:17, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
In article ,
Â*Â*Â* harry wrote:
On Monday, 23 March 2020 19:08:04 UTC, Â* wrote:
On 23/03/2020 15:39, Andy Bennet wrote:
... snipped

Plus when the engine is stopped, the ECU ensures it stops in an ideal
position to require minimalÂ* rotation to restart.

... snipped

Is that true? I'm doubtful that it's possible for the ECU to stop the
engine in a specific position WRT the cycle - happy to have my doubt
corrected ...

If you looked at the teeth on the flywheel on old cars, you could see
that the engine stopped at certain places anyway.

(Wear pattern on teeth.)

Depending on the number of cylinders and firing order. It will usually
come to rest where a compression stroke stops it.

With a pre-engage starter, the wear pattern is much less pronounced.

one of the few improvements made to the modern car...

Heated rear screens !. Better fuel consumption (apart from
Yank Tanks), Better brakes (apart from Yank tanks) ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/03/2020 09:33, Chris Green wrote:
charles wrote:
In article ,
ss wrote:
Changed my car a couple of weeks back and it has the push button
start/stop rather than ignition key. It also cuts out if stopped at
traffic lights and restarts when accelerator pedal is pressed.

All very well for saving fuel and I am sure the answer will be yes, but
how much does this impact on the battery life with all the `extra`stop
starts, or has the technology improved so that this has no adverse
effect on battery life.

Most of our driving is around town.

The brochure for my car, which does the same, says the energy for
restarting comes from braking stored in a supercapacitor. Battery not
involved.

There's also a new 'breed' of batteries becoming available
specifically designed to handle this, I think they're actually called
'stop/start' batteries. Yes, a quick search for 'stop start battery'
brings up loads of hits.

IIRC it was Porsche who had this system first. We had a Polo nearly 30
years ago that had this system, just an ordinary battery, no issue with
battery life. We sold it to a friend's mum when we needed something
bigger, and bought it back ten or more years later as a second car when
they had to give up driving.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
newshound wrote:
There's also a new 'breed' of batteries becoming available
specifically designed to handle this, I think they're actually called
'stop/start' batteries. Yes, a quick search for 'stop start battery'
brings up loads of hits.

IIRC it was Porsche who had this system first. We had a Polo nearly 30
years ago that had this system, just an ordinary battery, no issue with
battery life. We sold it to a friend's mum when we needed something
bigger, and bought it back ten or more years later as a second car when
they had to give up driving.

Be interesting to know about this 'new breed' of lead acid batteries. Or
is it just ad speak for a larger unit?

--
*England has no kidney bank, but it does have a Liverpool.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
newshound wrote:
There's also a new 'breed' of batteries becoming available
specifically designed to handle this, I think they're actually called
'stop/start' batteries. Yes, a quick search for 'stop start battery'
brings up loads of hits.

IIRC it was Porsche who had this system first. We had a Polo nearly 30
years ago that had this system, just an ordinary battery, no issue with
battery life. We sold it to a friend's mum when we needed something
bigger, and bought it back ten or more years later as a second car when
they had to give up driving.

Be interesting to know about this 'new breed' of lead acid batteries. Or
is it just ad speak for a larger unit?

AGM seems to be more than a matter of branding, albeit not just for
stop/start: also allow batteries to be fitted where spills would be a risk.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Robin wrote:
In article ,
newshound wrote:
There's also a new 'breed' of batteries becoming available
specifically designed to handle this, I think they're actually called
'stop/start' batteries. Yes, a quick search for 'stop start battery'
brings up loads of hits.

IIRC it was Porsche who had this system first. We had a Polo nearly 30
years ago that had this system, just an ordinary battery, no issue with
battery life. We sold it to a friend's mum when we needed something
bigger, and bought it back ten or more years later as a second car when
they had to give up driving.

Be interesting to know about this 'new breed' of lead acid batteries. Or
is it just ad speak for a larger unit?

AGM seems to be more than a matter of branding, albeit not just for
stop/start: also allow batteries to be fitted where spills would be a risk.

Advanced gas matt batteries pre-date start stop by a considerable time.
And it's not usual to worry about the battery spilling on a car.

Most 'fully wet' batteries are reasonably spill proof anyway these days -
they are sealed and have a vent tube to the outside, rather than vents on
each cell filler as on older batteries.

--
*Stable Relationships Are For Horses. *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Be interesting to know about this 'new breed' of lead acid batteries. Or
is it just ad speak for a larger unit?

Do you mean much like stop/start oil rather than 5W/30?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/06/2020 10:16, alan_m wrote:

Be interesting to know about this 'new breed' of lead acid batteries. Or
is it just ad speak for a larger unit?

Do you mean much like stop/start oil rather than 5W/30?

5W/20

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/06/2020 10:19, alan_m wrote:
On 25/06/2020 10:16, alan_m wrote:

Be interesting to know about this 'new breed' of lead acid batteries. Or
is it just ad speak for a larger unit?

Do you mean much like stop/start oil rather than 5W/30?

Â*5W/20

costs a bloody fortune I sold a car because of that requirement.....