Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Further to the gate

Me and the dog felt like a walk, so off we toddled. We went through the
back gate, around a field, and back the way wed come. When I got home I
put the kettle on and as I did so it occurred to me that Id twice used
the gate that Id so laboriously repaired only a couple of days before,
with neer a thought. So it is with so many jobs. A job needing doing
reminds you of itself all the time; a done job maintains a low profile;
so low that you forget about it altogether. Washed pots, darned socks,
emulsioned walls, completed paperwork, laid bricks, vacuumed carpets,
no-one celebrates the toiler who produced them, including himself. When
I was working I often did jobs that were not visible unless you looked
hard or had special access, or both, and anyway who looks at cables and
suchlike? I used to think, €œI made a good job of that, but no-one
including me will know Ive even done it by this time tomorrow (and ever
after) because Ill have forgotten all about it and no-one else will
ever think to look at it.€ Which is a bit sad really: all those hours of
work going unrecorded and unremembered. Maybe in a hundred years time
when the building is demolished someone will get a glimpse of a bit of
cable or something and say, €œI wonder what became of the cove who
installed that?€ Or, more likely, no they wont. Only the great artists
can immortalise themselves in their work; it isnt a possibility for the
common man.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hmm, well I created a very special door closer out of left over meccano from
my youth some years back and apart from the cord needing to be replaced and
the plastic bottle of water turning green, and needing cleaning its still
there. Not as efficient as a shop bought solution but its a talking point
for visitors who all cannot work out how a blind person can do such a thing
and for that matter put screws into walls, replace kitchen cabinet hinges
etc. I look on it as my bit toward educating people that there is life after
blindness, and also that functional things do not need to look pretty,
indeed, I used, when I could see make RF amplifiers made on what I used to
call the birdcage method. Worked fine at VHF!

For many years my porch light was controlled by a simple Schmidt trigger
with two transistors, an ORP 12 photocell and a relay. I had to make a small
psu of course but it lasted many many years, but its been replaced by a
thing the size of my thumb, simply wired into the mains circuit of the
light. Even if I could see to do it, I'd not be able to beat such a neat
device.
So are artisans being replaced by technology?
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"williamwright" wrote in message
Me and the dog felt like a walk, so off we toddled. We went through the
back gate, around a field, and back the way we'd come. When I got home I
put the kettle on and as I did so it occurred to me that I'd twice used
the gate that I'd so laboriously repaired only a couple of days before,
with ne'er a thought. So it is with so many jobs. A job needing doing
reminds you of itself all the time; a done job maintains a low profile; so
low that you forget about it altogether. Washed pots, darned socks,
emulsioned walls, completed paperwork, laid bricks, vacuumed carpets,
no-one celebrates the toiler who produced them, including himself. When I
was working I often did jobs that were not visible unless you looked hard
or had special access, or both, and anyway who looks at cables and
suchlike? I used to think, "I made a good job of that, but no-one
including me will know I've even done it by this time tomorrow (and ever
after) because I'll have forgotten all about it and no-one else will ever
think to look at it." Which is a bit sad really: all those hours of work
going unrecorded and unremembered. Maybe in a hundred years' time when the
building is demolished someone will get a glimpse of a bit of cable or
something and say, "I wonder what became of the cove who installed that?"
Or, more likely, no they won't. Only the great artists can immortalise
themselves in their work; it isn't a possibility for the common man.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/02/2020 15:44, williamwright wrote:
Me and the dog felt like a walk,

Only the great artists
can immortalise themselves in their work; it isnt a possibility for the
common man.

Bill

Nonsense. Plenty of good stonework and carpentry left behind by
artisans, and obvious to anyone with half a brain.

Not so easy for many professionals. I'd argue that 60 years without a
significant nuclear power station accident in the UK is down to a few
thousand engineers and scientists.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/02/2020 17:15, newshound wrote:
On 19/02/2020 15:44, williamwright wrote:
Me and the dog felt like a walk,

Only the great artists can immortalise themselves in their work; it
isnt a possibility for the common man.

Bill

Nonsense. Plenty of good stonework and carpentry left behind by
artisans, and obvious to anyone with half a brain.

Few people look at it. Pearls before swine.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 19 Feb 2020 15:44:48 +0000, williamwright
wrote:

snip

Maybe in a hundred years’ time
when the building is demolished

More like visited by people on diving holidays. ;-(

someone will get a glimpse of a bit of
cable or something and say, “I wonder what became of the cove who
installed that?” Or, more likely, no they won’t.

The latter I reckon.

I have suffered with the 'Whatever you do do do do well' issue since a
kid and so most jobs take longer than with most people but they are
generally 'right' (especially where it matters ITRW, rather than
*just* looking good) and don't need doing again, well not for a long
long time.

The problem with this approach is that everything takes that bit
longer, the extra time to measure and space things evenly, or pr-drill
a hole to stop stuff splitting, or making sure it's fully protected
before putting it outdoors, or using the right materials, rather than
what might be cheap or easily to hand.

Only the great artists
can immortalise themselves in their work; it isn’t a possibility for the
common man.

Well, it can happen, with the likes of Fred Dibner or Brunel (and many
others who did great things but may not have lived to see the results
or were not recognised as 'great' at the time).

But yes, most 'everyday good work goes unnoticed, other than maybe to
those of us who can appreciate such.

The flipside is that we also see (and are disappointed by) bad work. I
taught our daughter how to paint a room including fine cutting in and
now she sees bad examples of that wherever she goes. ;-(

I generally DGAF if someone / anyone is ever likely to see my work, it
matters not, what matters is that I do it to the best of my ability
and with some level of (fore)thought, where (hopefully) even those who
do it for a living are impressed with the work (because they often
don't have the luxury of time to attend to all the little details).

But as you say, I'm not sure most appreciate such levels of skill /
effort and why in this country, many trades aren't as respected as
they are in other countries.

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

[...]
installed that?€ Or, more likely, no they wont.Β* Only the great artists
can immortalise themselves in their work; it isnt a possibility for the
common man.

Do you will think anyone will notice this blokes work?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXy-qJqhmVk&t=17s

Waterdale in Doncaster next to the new cinema they are building.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)" wrote in message
[...]

Not with some things like jewellery and those glass things
made with solid glass. Still better than 3D printers.

Same with the best single malt scotch too.

[...]
or something and say, "I wonder what became of the cove who installed
that?" Or, more likely, no they won't. Only the great artists can
immortalise themselves in their work; it isn't a possibility for the
common man.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/02/2020 18:36, ARW wrote:

Do you will think anyone will notice this blokes work?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXy-qJqhmVk&t=17s

Waterdale in Doncaster next to the new cinema they are building.

I spent a good few years in a lab / office constructed very much like
that. I watched it being built, with steel erectors putting up the frame
in a freezing January; and watched it being torn down with one of them.
My colleagues who were between 50 and 55 got ten extra years on their
pension if they "volunteered" for redundancy.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"williamwright" wrote in message
On 19/02/2020 17:15, newshound wrote:
On 19/02/2020 15:44, williamwright wrote:
Me and the dog felt like a walk,

Only the great artists can immortalise themselves in their work; it isnt
a possibility for the common man.

Bill

Nonsense. Plenty of good stonework and carpentry left behind by artisans,
and obvious to anyone with half a brain.

Few people look at it. Pearls before swine.

You arent allowed to call them swine anymore, that speciesist.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"T i m" wrote in message
On Wed, 19 Feb 2020 15:44:48 +0000, williamwright
wrote:

snip

[...]

Yeah, I get the same result with brick work. Far too few bother
to mix the bricks so you get patches of the same bricks usually
by height. And no one taught me that, it just stands out like
dog balls now after I first noticed it.

I generally DGAF if someone / anyone is ever likely to see my work, it
matters not, what matters is that I do it to the best of my ability
and with some level of (fore)thought, where (hopefully) even those who
do it for a living are impressed with the work (because they often
don't have the luxury of time to attend to all the little details).

But as you say, I'm not sure most appreciate such levels of skill /
effort and why in this country, many trades aren't as respected as
they are in other countries.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Sleepless Auto-contradicting Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Thu, 20 Feb 2020 10:22:52 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

So are artisans being replaced by technology?

Not with some things like jewellery and those glass things
made with solid glass. Still better than 3D printers.

Same with the best single malt scotch too.

Do you get some sort of senile mini-orgasm, every time you manage to
auto-contradict, you abnormal trolling senile pest?

--
FredXX to Rot Speed:
"You are still an idiot and an embarrassment to your country. No wonder
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 20 Feb 2020 10:51:12 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Few people look at it. Pearls before swine.

You arent allowed to call them swine anymore, that speciesist.

Spare everyone your idiotic attempts at sociopathic humour, senile
sociopath!

cretin from Oz:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 20 Feb 2020 11:02:40 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Yeah, I get the same result with brick work.

Obviously nobody gives a ****, you sleepless, endlessly blathering, senile
pest.

"That’s because so much **** and ****e emanates from your gob that there is
and the end of prick is only clear because you are such a ******."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/02/2020 15:44, williamwright wrote:
Maybe in a hundred years time
when the building is demolished someone will get a glimpse of a bit of
cable or something and say, €œI wonder what became of the cove who
installed that?€ Or, more likely, no they wont.Β* Only the great artists
can immortalise themselves in their work; it isnt a possibility for the
common man.

Well not formally immortalised but certainly not forgotten. I grew up on
a farm in the early 60s, with buildings dating back to early Victorian
era. When looking at a particularly old piece of a building my dad
would often comment "I wonder what happened to the chap who "banged that
nail in/fitted that hinge/made that lock" etc etc.

A habit I have found myself also doing.

--
Chris B (News)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/02/2020 15:44, williamwright wrote:
snip

Only the great artists
can immortalise themselves in their work; it isnt a possibility for the
common man.

Where possible I always leave a date and initials on the wall,floor or
whatever that will be covered up. A bit like finding newspaper of the
day when you lift old carpets.

On the wall above the suspended ceiling in our shop I have a name, date
and a "lucky horseshoe" drawn.
Behind stud walls, under floorboards, under the eggbox tray in which UFH
is screeded, everywhere.

For the jobs that are still waiting to be completed to which the date is
still on display is serves as a timely reminder that the job dated 2013
is really in need of completion!

--
Pete

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/02/2020 15:44, williamwright wrote:

cable or something and say, €œI wonder what became of the cove who
installed that?€ Or, more likely, no they wont.Β* Only the great artists
can immortalise themselves in their work; it isnt a possibility for the
common man.

Are you sure?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FY1XB0rrYes

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 19/02/2020 23:46, newshound wrote:
On 19/02/2020 18:36, ARW wrote:

Do you will think anyone will notice this blokes work?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXy-qJqhmVk&t=17s

Waterdale in Doncaster next to the new cinema they are building.

I spent a good few years in a lab / office constructed very much like
that. I watched it being built, with steel erectors putting up the frame
in a freezing January; and watched it being torn down with one of them.
My colleagues who were between 50 and 55 got ten extra years on their
pension if they "volunteered" for redundancy.

Bill fitted the TV distribution system in the flats at Waterdale. AFAIK
it's still in use to this day.

The LED floodlights I fitted for this sculpture on the band stand at
Waterdale in 2016 are still working. That's not bad going for 2016 LED
floodlights:-)

https://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk...me-ever-457549

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/02/2020 17:15, newshound wrote:
On 19/02/2020 15:44, williamwright wrote:
Me and the dog felt like a walk,

Only the great artists can immortalise themselves in their work; it
isnt a possibility for the common man.

Bill

Nonsense. Plenty of good stonework and carpentry left behind by
artisans, and obvious to anyone with half a brain.

Not so easy for many professionals. I'd argue that 60 years without a
significant nuclear power station accident in the UK is down to a few
thousand engineers and scientists.

Well there was one very near miss at Windscale, but luckily the
foresight of ONE man saved the whole area :-

https://www.khl.com/news/final-cockc...103263.article
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/02/2020 20:07, Andrew wrote:
On 19/02/2020 17:15, newshound wrote:
On 19/02/2020 15:44, williamwright wrote:
Me and the dog felt like a walk,

Only the great artists can immortalise themselves in their work; it
isnt a possibility for the common man.

Bill

Nonsense. Plenty of good stonework and carpentry left behind by
artisans, and obvious to anyone with half a brain.

Not so easy for many professionals. I'd argue that 60 years without a
significant nuclear power station accident in the UK is down to a few
thousand engineers and scientists.

Well there was one very near miss at Windscale, but luckily the
foresight of ONE man saved the whole area :-

https://www.khl.com/news/final-cockc...103263.article

1) it wasn't a power station reactor. It was a plutonium breeder
2) it was being run way above limits to get more bomb material in the
arms race.
3) No one was hurt or died later. The total radioactive release was very
marginal.

...I'd spend it on drink.

Sir Henry (at Rawlinson's End)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/02/2020 18:36, ARW wrote:

Do you will think anyone will notice this blokes work?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXy-qJqhmVk&t=17s

Waterdale in Doncaster next to the new cinema they are building.

Doesn't it look Soviet?

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/02/2020 03:15:37, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 21/02/2020 20:07, Andrew wrote:

snip

3) No one was hurt or died later. The total radioactive release was very
marginal.

Which could have been very different if the filters weren't fitted, as
originally planned.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/02/2020 11:26, Fredxx wrote:
On 22/02/2020 03:15:37, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 21/02/2020 20:07, Andrew wrote:

snip

3) No one was hurt or died later. The total radioactive release was
very marginal.

Which could have been very different if the filters weren't fitted, as
originally planned.

Of course it had nothing to do with civil nuclear power plants either.
They were built to feed the early nuclear weapons programme.

SteveW