Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Effect of aluminium hangers on galvanised iron/steel balustrade?

I'm planning to hang a balcony wide board for use as a table or plant
stand. I'd probably find it easiest to cut and shape the hangers from
aluminium. These would hang on the inside of the balcony's balustrade
which is made from galvanised iron or steel.
Would these dissimilar metals suffer any adverse reaction when in long
term contact with each other?
--

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 26 January 2020 11:45:56 UTC, Mike Halmarack wrote:
I'm planning to hang a balcony wide board for use as a table or plant
stand. I'd probably find it easiest to cut and shape the hangers from
aluminium. These would hang on the inside of the balcony's balustrade
which is made from galvanised iron or steel.
Would these dissimilar metals suffer any adverse reaction when in long
term contact with each other?
--

Mike

The activity series. The further they are apart, the faster any reaction.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reacti... de_potentials
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 26 Jan 2020 03:52:27 -0800 (PST), harry
wrote:

On Sunday, 26 January 2020 11:45:56 UTC, Mike Halmarack wrote:
I'm planning to hang a balcony wide board for use as a table or plant
stand. I'd probably find it easiest to cut and shape the hangers from
aluminium. These would hang on the inside of the balcony's balustrade
which is made from galvanised iron or steel.
Would these dissimilar metals suffer any adverse reaction when in long
term contact with each other?
--

Mike

The activity series. The further they are apart, the faster any reaction.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reacti... de_potentials

So, if the Al is Aluminium and the Zn is Zinc this means they are
quite close and less reactive?

....Al H( water) Mn Zn ...
--

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/01/2020 11:52, harry wrote:
On Sunday, 26 January 2020 11:45:56 UTC, Mike Halmarack wrote:
I'm planning to hang a balcony wide board for use as a table or plant
stand. I'd probably find it easiest to cut and shape the hangers from
aluminium. These would hang on the inside of the balcony's balustrade
which is made from galvanised iron or steel.
Would these dissimilar metals suffer any adverse reaction when in long
term contact with each other?
--

Mike

The activity series. The further they are apart, the faster any reaction.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reacti... de_potentials

But not if they are insulated. The simplest solution might be to use
something like heat shrink, PVC tube, or even a tight wrapping of PVC
tape over the potential contact points.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 26 Jan 2020 12:03:01 +0000, newshound
wrote:

On 26/01/2020 11:52, harry wrote:
On Sunday, 26 January 2020 11:45:56 UTC, Mike Halmarack wrote:
I'm planning to hang a balcony wide board for use as a table or plant
stand. I'd probably find it easiest to cut and shape the hangers from
aluminium. These would hang on the inside of the balcony's balustrade
which is made from galvanised iron or steel.
Would these dissimilar metals suffer any adverse reaction when in long
term contact with each other?
--

Mike

The activity series. The further they are apart, the faster any reaction.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reacti... de_potentials

But not if they are insulated. The simplest solution might be to use
something like heat shrink, PVC tube, or even a tight wrapping of PVC
tape over the potential contact points.

Inspiring, thanks.
--

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Sunday, 26 January 2020 11:45:56 UTC, Mike Halmarack wrote:
I'm planning to hang a balcony wide board for use as a table or plant
stand. I'd probably find it easiest to cut and shape the hangers from
aluminium. These would hang on the inside of the balcony's balustrade
which is made from galvanised iron or steel.
Would these dissimilar metals suffer any adverse reaction when in long
term contact with each other?
--

Mike

The activity series. The further they are apart, the faster any reaction.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reacti... de_potentials

So, if the Al is Aluminium and the Zn is Zinc this means they are
quite close and less reactive?

...Al H( water) Mn Zn ...

IIRC aluminium and zinc are not too bad, helped by the fact that the
oxide on aluminium can be a fairly effective insulator.

Thinking about it, TV aerials often have zinc plated clamps on aluminium
tubes. I was going to suggest that soft spacers are good if there is any
small amplitude motion (because the rubbing can remove oxides and
promote electrical contact) but the evidence of TV aerials, exposed to
wind, suggests you might not need to worry.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Why not look in the Builders Metalwork section of Screwfix plenty of galvanised brackets, gallows brackets and restraint straps that might do. They may not be particularly aesthetic but if out of sight will certainly do the job for you.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 26 Jan 2020 04:26:40 -0800 (PST), Tricky Dicky
wrote:

Why not look in the Builders Metalwork section of Screwfix plenty of galvanised brackets, gallows brackets and restraint straps that might do. They may not be particularly aesthetic but if out of sight will certainly do the job for you.

Richard

Good idea. I'll have a look.
--

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'd not say so, it really depends on the construction. I have seen this done
in outside shop displays with no apparent issues other than the usual
oxidisation of each material due to being unprotected.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Mike Halmarack" wrote in message
I'm planning to hang a balcony wide board for use as a table or plant
stand. I'd probably find it easiest to cut and shape the hangers from
aluminium. These would hang on the inside of the balcony's balustrade
which is made from galvanised iron or steel.
Would these dissimilar metals suffer any adverse reaction when in long
term contact with each other?
--

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Very good points, though as you suggested earlier pvc or shrink wrap
at the contact point would also reduce rubbing damage.
--

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Sunday, 26 January 2020 11:45:56 UTC, Mike Halmarack wrote:
I'm planning to hang a balcony wide board for use as a table or plant
stand. I'd probably find it easiest to cut and shape the hangers from
aluminium. These would hang on the inside of the balcony's balustrade
which is made from galvanised iron or steel.
Would these dissimilar metals suffer any adverse reaction when in long
term contact with each other?
--

Mike

The activity series. The further they are apart, the faster any reaction.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reacti... de_potentials

From school chemistry of sixty years ago: Kate Now Can Make All Zebras
File Slowly Past Her Clucking Hens After All

Potassium, Sodium (Na), Calcium, Magnesium, Aluminium, Zinc, Iron
(Fe), Tin (Sn), Lead (Pb), Hydrogen, Copper (Cu), Mercury (Hg), Silver
(Ag), gold (Au).

The earlier ones in the sequence dissolve before the later ones.

It's extraordinary how these meaningless phrases stick in the mind,
even after all this time.

See also
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galvan...alvanic_series

Education is a wonderful thing.
--

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Another thought, how robust is the balustrade if the force is inwards toward
the balcony? Also, plants can be very heavy and lets hope you hang the
fixings on the structural part of the balustrade, since I've seen the
vertical wrght iron parts of railings come adrift when small children swing
on them due, no doubt to poor top fixing strength.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"newshound" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 26/01/2020 11:52, harry wrote:
On Sunday, 26 January 2020 11:45:56 UTC, Mike Halmarack wrote:
I'm planning to hang a balcony wide board for use as a table or plant
stand. I'd probably find it easiest to cut and shape the hangers from
aluminium. These would hang on the inside of the balcony's balustrade
which is made from galvanised iron or steel.
Would these dissimilar metals suffer any adverse reaction when in long
term contact with each other?
--

Mike

The activity series. The further they are apart, the faster any reaction.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reacti... de_potentials

But not if they are insulated. The simplest solution might be to use
something like heat shrink, PVC tube, or even a tight wrapping of PVC tape
over the potential contact points.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 26 Jan 2020 12:34:49 -0000, "Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)"
wrote:

I wonder what his table or shelf is going to be made out of though?

Brian

I was thinking wood to match my head, though a chunky plastic plank
would be even better, except perhaps for the cost.
--

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 26 Jan 2020 12:31:29 -0000, "Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)"
wrote:

I'd not say so, it really depends on the construction. I have seen this done
in outside shop displays with no apparent issues other than the usual
oxidisation of each material due to being unprotected.
Brian

Yes oxidisation will be an issue over time. I'd prefer to use
stainless steel but it's costlt and harder to work.
--

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 26 Jan 2020 12:38:26 -0000, "Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)"
wrote:

Another thought, how robust is the balustrade if the force is inwards toward
the balcony? Also, plants can be very heavy and lets hope you hang the
fixings on the structural part of the balustrade, since I've seen the
vertical wrght iron parts of railings come adrift when small children swing
on them due, no doubt to poor top fixing strength.
Brian

It's pretty robust in itself thought the mooring points may benefit
from some extra help.
--

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Sunday, 26 January 2020 11:45:56 UTC, Mike Halmarack wrote:
I'm planning to hang a balcony wide board for use as a table or plant
stand. I'd probably find it easiest to cut and shape the hangers from
aluminium. These would hang on the inside of the balcony's balustrade
which is made from galvanised iron or steel.
Would these dissimilar metals suffer any adverse reaction when in long
term contact with each other?
--

Mike

The activity series. The further they are apart, the faster any reaction.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reacti... de_potentials

From school chemistry of sixty years ago: Kate Now Can Make All Zebras
File Slowly Past Her Clucking Hens After All

Potassium, Sodium (Na), Calcium, Magnesium, Aluminium, Zinc, Iron
(Fe), Tin (Sn), Lead (Pb), Hydrogen, Copper (Cu), Mercury (Hg), Silver
(Ag), gold (Au).

The earlier ones in the sequence dissolve before the later ones.

It's extraordinary how these meaningless phrases stick in the mind,
even after all this time.

See also
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galvan...alvanic_series

Please Send Charlie McLean A Zebra If The Lean Hen Can't Munch Pure
Sweet Grass. (Includes Platinum).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Sunday, 26 January 2020 11:45:56 UTC, Mike Halmarack wrote:
I'm planning to hang a balcony wide board for use as a table or plant
stand. I'd probably find it easiest to cut and shape the hangers from
aluminium. These would hang on the inside of the balcony's balustrade
which is made from galvanised iron or steel.
Would these dissimilar metals suffer any adverse reaction when in long
term contact with each other?
--

Mike

The activity series. The further they are apart, the faster any reaction.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reacti... de_potentials

So, if the Al is Aluminium and the Zn is Zinc this means they are
quite close and less reactive?

...Al H( water) Mn Zn ...

Aluminium is actually quite strange stuff. It would be insanely reactive
if it were not protected by a self healing thin aluminium oxide surface
layer. It used to be a trick to put a spec of mercury on a sheet of
aluminium and watch it crumble to white dust overnight.

Powder coating, shrink wrap or some other plastic inserts to keep the
two metals from direct contact would be one way out.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mike Halmarack" wrote in message
I'm planning to hang a balcony wide board for use as a table or plant
stand. I'd probably find it easiest to cut and shape the hangers from
aluminium. These would hang on the inside of the balcony's balustrade
which is made from galvanised iron or steel.
Would these dissimilar metals suffer any adverse reaction when in long
term contact with each other?

I do have that situation with all my patio door as there is
a steel RHS vertical on each side of each door and another
at the top. Works fine for coming up to 50 years now, but
the aluminium is anodised and the steel is painted.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 27 Jan 2020 01:39:21 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

"Mike Halmarack" wrote in message
.. .
I'm planning to hang a balcony wide board for use as a table or plant
stand. I'd probably find it easiest to cut and shape the hangers from
aluminium. These would hang on the inside of the balcony's balustrade
which is made from galvanised iron or steel.
Would these dissimilar metals suffer any adverse reaction when in long
term contact with each other?

I do have that situation with all my patio door as there is
a steel RHS vertical on each side of each door and another
at the top. Works fine for coming up to 50 years now, but
the aluminium is anodised and the steel is painted.

No harm in providing some kind of buffer, even if the reactivity is
quite low, though the longevity of your doors are quite reassuring.
--

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Mike Halmarack
writes
I'm planning to hang a balcony wide board for use as a table or plant
stand. I'd probably find it easiest to cut and shape the hangers from
aluminium. These would hang on the inside of the balcony's balustrade
which is made from galvanised iron or steel.
Would these dissimilar metals suffer any adverse reaction when in long
term contact with each other?

Speaking from Land Rover Defender experience then if they are galvanised
then no and if not galvanised then yes. If you want to be doubly sure
then you can get a paste to smear on the contacting surfaces as used in
the aircraft industry. I have a tube somewhere in one of my many tins of
useful stuff in the garage.
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default UNBELIEVABLE: It's 01:39 am in Australia and the Senile Ozzietard is out of Bed and TROLLING, already!!!! LOL

On Mon, 27 Jan 2020 01:39:21 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH senile asshole's troll****

01:39??? And you are up and trolling ALREADY??? Yet AGAIN??? Like EVERY
NIGHT, you miserable lonesome sleepless senile pest? LOL

--
about senile Rot Speed:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 26 Jan 2020 15:04:42 +0000, bert wrote:

In article , Mike Halmarack
writes
I'm planning to hang a balcony wide board for use as a table or plant
stand. I'd probably find it easiest to cut and shape the hangers from
aluminium. These would hang on the inside of the balcony's balustrade
which is made from galvanised iron or steel.
Would these dissimilar metals suffer any adverse reaction when in long
term contact with each other?

Speaking from Land Rover Defender experience then if they are galvanised
then no and if not galvanised then yes. If you want to be doubly sure
then you can get a paste to smear on the contacting surfaces as used in
the aircraft industry. I have a tube somewhere in one of my many tins of
useful stuff in the garage.

It's possible that it could be both yes and no if the hanger starts to
rub away the galvanising. I'll check out the paste. Thanks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/01/2020 13:09, Martin Brown wrote:

Powder coating, shrink wrap or some other plastic inserts to keep the
two metals from direct contact would be one way out.

What about the fixings?

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

====snip====

The activity series. The further they are apart, the faster any
reaction.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/

Reactivity_series#Comparison_with_standard_electro de_potentials

From school chemistry of sixty years ago: Kate Now Can Make All Zebras
File Slowly Past Her Clucking Hens After All

Potassium, Sodium (Na), Calcium, Magnesium, Aluminium, Zinc, Iron (Fe),
Tin (Sn), Lead (Pb), Hydrogen, Copper (Cu), Mercury (Hg), Silver (Ag),
gold (Au).

The earlier ones in the sequence dissolve before the later ones.

It's extraordinary how these meaningless phrases stick in the mind, even
after all this time.

That's the whole point - they're meant to be easier to remember
mnemonics.

I taught myself the resistor colour code during my very early teens
(perhaps just before - it WAS a long time ago now) by simply using the
actual colour sequence of "Black, brown, red, orange, yellow, green,
blue, violet, grey, white." for the 0 to 9 digit sequence. It was only a
decade or so later that I was taught the (NOW!) non PC mnemonic[1] of:

"Black boys rape our young girls but virgins go without." which I was
only able to recall with the aid of the (by then) well ingrained colour
sequence I'd taught myself years earlier - I was using actual knowledge
of the colour code as an aid to remembering a mnemonic intended as an
aide mémoire for recalling the colour code sequence!

These days, after over half a century, I'm glad I bothered to learn that
non PC mnemonic since it provided a sanity check for my recollection of
the colour code sequence when I resumed my interest in DIY electronics
projects nearly two years ago after a quarter of a century break - "Use
it or lose it!" is ever so applicable in this case.

Another phrase I can't forget (I don't think this is a mnemonic so much
as a reminder to be careful) is the "Electrician's Litany" of:

"Ashes to ashes, dust to dust, positive to negative, **** or bust!"

that I heard one of our EL&P engineers utter. I'd heard it perhaps just
two or three times but an amusing enough 'ditty' for me to take the
trouble to remember it - I was more easily amused back then.

[1] I'd heard or read of other less non PC colour code mnemonics since
then but one mnemonic was all I needed or ever wanted. Any others would
have just confused things and be counterproductive to their intended
purpose.

I've room in my head for only so many 'handy mnemonics'. It seems the
phrase, "Less is More" does after all, contain a universal truth beyond
that of its general perception as being just an artsy fartsy type's
platitude so oft abused by the advertising industry. :-)

--
Johnny B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

====snip====

The activity series. The further they are apart, the faster any
reaction.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/

Reactivity_series#Comparison_with_standard_electro de_potentials

From school chemistry of sixty years ago: Kate Now Can Make All Zebras
[...]

Resistor colours.
Richard Of York Gave Battle In Vain
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 26 Jan 2020 12:08:54 +0000, Mike Halmarack wrote:

But not if they are insulated. The simplest solution might be to

use
something like heat shrink, PVC tube, or even a tight wrapping of

PVC
tape over the potential contact points.

Inspiring, thanks.

That's what I would do with something non-conductive and relatively
soft, if only to protect the balustrade from damage.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/01/2020 16:24, williamwright wrote:
On 26/01/2020 13:09, Martin Brown wrote:

Powder coating, shrink wrap or some other plastic inserts to keep the
two metals from direct contact would be one way out.

What about the fixings?

Bill

What fixings? You would use a clamp, rather than risk weakening the rail
by drilling it for a bolt.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/01/2020 15:04, newshound wrote:
On 26/01/2020 16:24, williamwright wrote:
On 26/01/2020 13:09, Martin Brown wrote:

Powder coating, shrink wrap or some other plastic inserts to keep the
two metals from direct contact would be one way out.

What about the fixings?

Bill

What fixings? You would use a clamp, rather than risk weakening the rail
by drilling it for a bolt.

What about the bolt in the clamp?

Bill