Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Carpets, underlay, and fitting

Hi All
So I'm getting the hall/stairs/landing carpets replaced and have had a
quote from a major company.
I've fitted carpets myself in the past (grippers, underlay etc. not just
rubber backed stuff), but it takes me too long and I couldn't be arsed
this time round.
Now this large shop has suggested, of course, their own 6mm rubber
underlay. If I get the underlay online I'll save half the cost, but that
is partly offset with the shop offering free fitting.
So, the questions a
1) Is CarpetRight (oops, let that slip) underlay any good?
2) Is 6mm recommended for high traffic areas?
Ta.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 26 January 2020 09:40:44 UTC, Grumps wrote:
Hi All
So I'm getting the hall/stairs/landing carpets replaced and have had a
quote from a major company.
I've fitted carpets myself in the past (grippers, underlay etc. not just
rubber backed stuff), but it takes me too long and I couldn't be arsed
this time round.
Now this large shop has suggested, of course, their own 6mm rubber
underlay. If I get the underlay online I'll save half the cost, but that
is partly offset with the shop offering free fitting.
So, the questions a
1) Is CarpetRight (oops, let that slip) underlay any good?
2) Is 6mm recommended for high traffic areas?
Ta.

6mm is thin. Cheapest underlay is PE rather than a longer lasting plastic.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Grumps wrote:
Hi All
So I'm getting the hall/stairs/landing carpets replaced and have had a
quote from a major company.
I've fitted carpets myself in the past (grippers, underlay etc. not just
rubber backed stuff), but it takes me too long and I couldn't be arsed
this time round.
Now this large shop has suggested, of course, their own 6mm rubber
underlay. If I get the underlay online I'll save half the cost, but that
is partly offset with the shop offering free fitting.
So, the questions a
1) Is CarpetRight (oops, let that slip) underlay any good?
2) Is 6mm recommended for high traffic areas?
Ta.

It is going to depend on the quality of carpet fitted. If a cheap one
which is going to have a short life, cheap (free) underlay might last as
long. But it won't last the life of a decent carpet. If a decent carpet,
you want something like Cloud 9.

--
*If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Grumps wrote:
[...]

Well, it's not the cheapest carpet, but is pretty much low end.
I've used Cloud 9 before. They do a 6mm thick version.

Is there a maximum thickness underlay that a carpet will take?

I know CarpetRight will rip you off with the price of the underlay, but
then throw in free fitting. In this case, I think the price difference
is only about £50 (vs. me buying the underlay and paying for fitting).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/01/2020 12:17, Grumps wrote:
In article ,
Â*Â*Â* Grumps wrote:
[...]

Dunno but generally speaking with stairs the thicker the underlay the
harder it is to shape around the nosings - which may or may not matter
to you.

--
Robin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/01/2020 13:34, Robin wrote:

Dunno but generally speaking with stairs the thicker the underlay the
harder it is to shape around the nosings - which may or may not matter
to you.

On flat surfaces (rooms/halls) I've always gone for Cloud 9 either 9 or
11mm thick. I agree a thick underlay may be more difficult on stairs and
maybe a thinner underlay could be used in this one position.

I note that the thinnest Cloud 9 underlay (7mm) is described as "Fitter
Friendly Underlay" probably because it takes less time to fit a carpet
over a thinner material.

https://www.tradepriced.co.uk/cloud_..._underlay.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
alan_m wrote:
Dunno but generally speaking with stairs the thicker the underlay the
harder it is to shape around the nosings - which may or may not matter
to you.

On flat surfaces (rooms/halls) I've always gone for Cloud 9 either 9 or
11mm thick. I agree a thick underlay may be more difficult on stairs and
maybe a thinner underlay could be used in this one position.

Except, of course, the edge of a step is where a carpet gets the most wear.

--
*Support bacteria - they're the only culture some people have *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
alan_m wrote:
Dunno but generally speaking with stairs the thicker the underlay the
harder it is to shape around the nosings - which may or may not matter
to you.

On flat surfaces (rooms/halls) I've always gone for Cloud 9 either 9 or
11mm thick. I agree a thick underlay may be more difficult on stairs and
maybe a thinner underlay could be used in this one position.

Except, of course, the edge of a step is where a carpet gets the most wear.

But on the third hand most people don't stand around on stairs so a
thinner but higher density underlay (eg 9mm) may give the same
protection as a thicker but softer one (eg 12mm) more suitable for other
areas.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 27 January 2020 13:59:07 UTC, Robin wrote:
In article ,
alan_m wrote:
Dunno but generally speaking with stairs the thicker the underlay the
harder it is to shape around the nosings - which may or may not matter
to you.

On flat surfaces (rooms/halls) I've always gone for Cloud 9 either 9 or
11mm thick. I agree a thick underlay may be more difficult on stairs and
maybe a thinner underlay could be used in this one position.

Except, of course, the edge of a step is where a carpet gets the most wear.

But on the third hand most people don't stand around on stairs so a
thinner but higher density underlay (eg 9mm) may give the same
protection as a thicker but softer one (eg 12mm) more suitable for other
areas.

On the 4th hand neither will offer the carpet much protection against wear.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
But on the third hand most people don't stand around on stairs so a
thinner but higher density underlay (eg 9mm) may give the same
protection as a thicker but softer one (eg 12mm) more suitable for
other areas.

On the 4th hand neither will offer the carpet much protection against
wear.

Problem I've found is the standard 'free' underlay pretty soon loses any
effectiveness where it is heavily loaded - like the edge of the stairs. So
doesn't make much difference how thick it was to start with. It's often
just a pile of dust after a few years. Unlike Cloud 9. Of course if you
change the carpet anyway every few years this is unlikely to matter.

--
*Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.