Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Carpets, underlay, and fitting

Hi All
So I'm getting the hall/stairs/landing carpets replaced and have had a
quote from a major company.
I've fitted carpets myself in the past (grippers, underlay etc. not just
rubber backed stuff), but it takes me too long and I couldn't be arsed
this time round.
Now this large shop has suggested, of course, their own 6mm rubber
underlay. If I get the underlay online I'll save half the cost, but that
is partly offset with the shop offering free fitting.
So, the questions a
1) Is CarpetRight (oops, let that slip) underlay any good?
2) Is 6mm recommended for high traffic areas?
Ta.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 26 January 2020 09:40:44 UTC, Grumps wrote:
Hi All
So I'm getting the hall/stairs/landing carpets replaced and have had a
quote from a major company.
I've fitted carpets myself in the past (grippers, underlay etc. not just
rubber backed stuff), but it takes me too long and I couldn't be arsed
this time round.
Now this large shop has suggested, of course, their own 6mm rubber
underlay. If I get the underlay online I'll save half the cost, but that
is partly offset with the shop offering free fitting.
So, the questions a
1) Is CarpetRight (oops, let that slip) underlay any good?
2) Is 6mm recommended for high traffic areas?
Ta.

6mm is thin. Cheapest underlay is PE rather than a longer lasting plastic.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Grumps wrote:
Hi All
So I'm getting the hall/stairs/landing carpets replaced and have had a
quote from a major company.
I've fitted carpets myself in the past (grippers, underlay etc. not just
rubber backed stuff), but it takes me too long and I couldn't be arsed
this time round.
Now this large shop has suggested, of course, their own 6mm rubber
underlay. If I get the underlay online I'll save half the cost, but that
is partly offset with the shop offering free fitting.
So, the questions a
1) Is CarpetRight (oops, let that slip) underlay any good?
2) Is 6mm recommended for high traffic areas?
Ta.

It is going to depend on the quality of carpet fitted. If a cheap one
which is going to have a short life, cheap (free) underlay might last as
long. But it won't last the life of a decent carpet. If a decent carpet,
you want something like Cloud 9.

--
*If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Grumps wrote:
[...]

Well, it's not the cheapest carpet, but is pretty much low end.
I've used Cloud 9 before. They do a 6mm thick version.

Is there a maximum thickness underlay that a carpet will take?

I know CarpetRight will rip you off with the price of the underlay, but
then throw in free fitting. In this case, I think the price difference
is only about £50 (vs. me buying the underlay and paying for fitting).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/01/2020 12:17, Grumps wrote:
In article ,
Â*Â*Â* Grumps wrote:
[...]

Dunno but generally speaking with stairs the thicker the underlay the
harder it is to shape around the nosings - which may or may not matter
to you.

--
Robin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/01/2020 13:34, Robin wrote:

Dunno but generally speaking with stairs the thicker the underlay the
harder it is to shape around the nosings - which may or may not matter
to you.

On flat surfaces (rooms/halls) I've always gone for Cloud 9 either 9 or
11mm thick. I agree a thick underlay may be more difficult on stairs and
maybe a thinner underlay could be used in this one position.

I note that the thinnest Cloud 9 underlay (7mm) is described as "Fitter
Friendly Underlay" probably because it takes less time to fit a carpet
over a thinner material.

https://www.tradepriced.co.uk/cloud_..._underlay.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
alan_m wrote:
Dunno but generally speaking with stairs the thicker the underlay the
harder it is to shape around the nosings - which may or may not matter
to you.

On flat surfaces (rooms/halls) I've always gone for Cloud 9 either 9 or
11mm thick. I agree a thick underlay may be more difficult on stairs and
maybe a thinner underlay could be used in this one position.

Except, of course, the edge of a step is where a carpet gets the most wear.

--
*Support bacteria - they're the only culture some people have *