Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Which cable outdoors?

Which cable types are now required for:

a) nonburied run to shed, some attached to brickwork, some laid on ground under plants
b) surface clipped run to lighting, some lengths under plants some not.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 25 January 2020 08:34:59 UTC, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 25/01/20 03:12, ARW wrote:
On 25/01/2020 00:25, tabbypurr wrote:

Which cable types are now required for:

a) nonburied run to shed, some attached to brickwork, some laid on ground under plants
b) surface clipped run to lighting, some lengths under plants some not.

If there is a risk of damage due to strimmers/ cutters etc then you need
a cable with an outer earth sheath. So that's SWA or SY.

If not then use NYY-J cable.

If it's buried under plants, doesn't it have to be in conduit or
trunking to avoid damage from spades and forks?

Seems to me that "some laid on ground under plants" is a little unclear.
Does it mean only on the surface under the top growth of a plant?
Trouble is, it wouldn't take long to get hidden by fallen leaves and
other stuff, perhaps making it vulnerable to a spade.

I thought SWA was specifically for that. I just wondered if anything was also acceptable but of course it's not.

I see a fair bit of controversy over SY. This job has to be 100% to all standards, so looks like the non-plant on-wall areas will be NYY-J, and the under bushes one SWA.

Thanks folks

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Heavy micc with pvc oversheath (provided you have the skill to correctly terminate it)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Depending on the length of cable run it might not be worth using two types, eg the difference in price according to CEF between 3 core 2.5mm2 SWA and the equivalent Tufsheath is 12p per metre if you have to use additional glands then you may not save much plus one less joint box and a potential point of water ingress.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well my armoured cable to the shed and when the garage greenouse and shed
were there is still in good nick, but was attached to the fence, most of it
still is. I'd not want to bury any kind of cable under a garden myself. The
old overhead links were ordinary pvc double insulated for a time but we soon
discovered that the sun and the cold did not make it last very long. The
plastic shroud of the armoured cable seemms to be a completely different
type of plastic that feels a bit like Teflon to the touch, and has lasted
well over 15 years. I think, was I doing it again, I'd use a bigger capacity
one though, since you could see lights dim when you put on a3kw fan heater.
grin.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Jeff Layman" wrote in message
On 25/01/20 03:12, ARW wrote:
On 25/01/2020 00:25,
wrote:
Which cable types are now required for:

a) nonburied run to shed, some attached to brickwork, some laid on
ground under plants
b) surface clipped run to lighting, some lengths under plants some not.

If there is a risk of damage due to strimmers/ cutters etc then you need
a cable with an outer earth sheath. So that's SWA or SY.

If not then use NYY-J cable.

If it's buried under plants, doesn't it have to be in conduit or trunking
to avoid damage from spades and forks?

Seems to me that "some laid on ground under plants" is a little unclear.
Does it mean only on the surface under the top growth of a plant? Trouble
is, it wouldn't take long to get hidden by fallen leaves and other stuff,
perhaps making it vulnerable to a spade.

--

Jeff

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 25/01/2020 10:42, Tricky Dicky wrote:
Depending on the length of cable run it might not be worth using two types, eg the difference in price according to CEF between 3 core 2.5mm2 SWA and the equivalent Tufsheath is 12p per metre if you have to use additional glands then you may not save much plus one less joint box and a potential point of water ingress.

And the time to make the joints.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff (Sofa 2) wrote

Well my armoured cable to the shed and when the garage greenouse and shed
were there is still in good nick, but was attached to the fence, most of
it still is. I'd not want to bury any kind of cable under a garden myself.

You don’t have any choice here, its all underground supply now.

The old overhead links were ordinary pvc double insulated for a time but
we soon discovered that the sun and the cold did not make it last very
long. The plastic shroud of the armoured cable seemms to be a completely
different type of plastic that feels a bit like Teflon to the touch, and
has lasted well over 15 years.

My overhead link to power lines down the street have
done fine for 45 years, single insulated twisted cable.

On 25/01/20 03:12, ARW wrote:
On 25/01/2020 00:25, wrote:
Which cable types are now required for:

a) nonburied run to shed, some attached to brickwork, some laid on
ground under plants
b) surface clipped run to lighting, some lengths under plants some not.

If there is a risk of damage due to strimmers/ cutters etc then you need
a cable with an outer earth sheath. So that's SWA or SY.

If not then use NYY-J cable.

If it's buried under plants, doesn't it have to be in conduit or trunking
to avoid damage from spades and forks?

Seems to me that "some laid on ground under plants" is a little unclear.
Does it mean only on the surface under the top growth of a plant? Trouble
is, it wouldn't take long to get hidden by fallen leaves and other stuff,
perhaps making it vulnerable to a spade.

--

Jeff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default UNBELIEVABLE: It's 03:19 am in Australia and the Senile Ozzietard has been out of Bed and TROLLING for OVER HALF AN HOUR already!!!! LOL

On Sun, 26 Jan 2020 03:19:18 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH senile troll's troll****

03:19? So, when's bedtime for you this night? Or rather day, you abnormal
sleepless senile pest?

cretin from Oz:
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 2020-01-25, ARW wrote:

On 25/01/2020 09:37, wrote:
On 25/01/2020 03:12, ARW wrote:
On 25/01/2020 00:25,
wrote:
Which cable types are now required for:

a) nonburied run to shed, some attached to brickwork, some laid on
ground under plants
b) surface clipped run to lighting, some lengths under plants some not.

If there is a risk of damage due to strimmers/ cutters etc then you
need a cable with an outer earth sheath. So that's SWA or SY.

If not then use NYY-J cable.

I hadn't heard of NYY-J until now, why would you use it rather than SWA?

NYY-J used to be sold under the name Hi-Tuff. It's cheaper than SWA,
does not need glanding off and is ideal for outdoor surface mount jobs.
It is not suitable for direct burial in the ground unlike SWA.

The description I found on-line says:

Indoor use where mechanical damages are not to be expected.

Outdoors, Underground, in Brickwork, Concrete with the exception of
cabling in shaken, vibrated or compressed concrete. and in Water.

The UV-resistance allows for outdoor use.

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Cable_Index/NYY/index.html

Doesn't using it where garden tools might hit it count as risk of
mechanical damage? (That's why I used SWA clipped to a garden fence
to my shed.)

Strictly speaking SWA should be protected from damage:-)

Assuming you are talking about a plastic strimmer wire then I doubt it
would damage either cable unless it was a sustained and violent attack
of the strimmer. A spade will damage both. I did like Tim Lambs idea of
running the cable through galv conduit. You cannot get a spade through that.

It's down to the installer to decide which they are going to fit. I just
gave an option to SWA.

I probably should have called it Hi-tuff but ISTR the trade name went
out of business.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2020-01-25, ARW wrote:

On 25/01/2020 09:37, wrote:
On 25/01/2020 03:12, ARW wrote:
On 25/01/2020 00:25,
wrote:
[...]

Hmm!

Assuming you are talking about a plastic strimmer wire then I doubt it
would damage either cable unless it was a sustained and violent attack
of the strimmer. A spade will damage both. I did like Tim Lambs idea of
running the cable through galv conduit. You cannot get a spade through that.

It's down to the installer to decide which they are going to fit. I just
gave an option to SWA.

I probably should have called it Hi-tuff but ISTR the trade name went
out of business.

Teak Oil outdoors Chaprock Woodworking 19 May 5th 05 01:54 AM
Which laser level works outdoors? [email protected] Woodworking 20 February 16th 05 12:08 PM
laminate outdoors Scott Woodworking 2 December 21st 04 07:18 PM
Joining co-axial cable outdoors Peter Crosland UK diy 45 September 17th 03 04:50 PM
Why is AC running in the morning when it's cooler outdoors? LuckyDucky Home Repair 18 July 17th 03 02:24 PM