Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default water by-law question

If you are fitting a freestanding shower, should you fit isolation valve
to H&C feed valves?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jethro_uk wrote in news:r04ba7$ua7$60@dont-
email.me:

On Mon, 20 Jan 2020 13:01:45 +0000, rick wrote:

If you are fitting a freestanding shower, should you fit isolation valve
to H&C feed valves?

No idea about by-laws, but it makes sense surely ?

Get "Full Bore"

My plumbing used to have "Double Check Valves" to prevent syphoning. I
noticed the new shower bar has check valve built in - so I have removed the
plumbed in ones (they looked a bit crusty)_
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/01/2020 13:01, rick wrote:
If you are fitting a freestanding shower, should you fit isolation valve
to H&C feed valves?

AIUI:

/isolation/ (or "service") valves are optional - but IMHO /should/ be
fitted as they let you service the shower without turning off the water
to other places. Of course this assumes the valve works - without
leaking - when you come to want to use it. That ain't always true for
the valves in cheap flexible tap connectors. And as already mentioned,
full bore valves offer maximum flow rates.

/check/ valves to stop backflow into the water supply are required by
the regs in some cases and then /must/ be fitted. With a shower that's
mainly where the shower head could be submerged or where there's a mixer
tap with unbalanced supplies. But note that some mixer taps have them
built in.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/01/2020 16:09, Robin wrote:
On 20/01/2020 13:01, rick wrote:
If you are fitting a freestanding shower, should you fit isolation
valve to H&C feed valves?

AIUI:

Plumber did not fit them - even though asked specifically to do so.
His response was introduces failure point.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , rick rick_hughes@_remove_btco
nnect.com scribeth thus
On 20/01/2020 13:01, rick wrote:
If you are fitting a freestanding shower, should you fit isolation
valve to H&C feed valves?

AIUI:

Plumber did not fit them - even though asked specifically to do so.
His response was introduces failure point.

Bollix!..
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 20 January 2020 13:01:47 UTC, rick wrote:
If you are fitting a freestanding shower, should you fit isolation valve
to H&C feed valves?

AIUI isolation valves should be fitted to all points of use, but I could be wrong.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On Monday, 20 January 2020 13:01:47 UTC, rick wrote:
If you are fitting a freestanding shower, should you fit isolation valve
to H&C feed valves?

AIUI isolation valves should be fitted to all points of use, but I could be wrong.

Owain

In large buildings or anywhere where temporarily shutting off all the H & C
could be a problem, then I think its a good idea.

In most domestic situations though its not that hard/inconvenient to shut
off all supplies for repairs.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4 Feb 2020 18:40:49 GMT, Tim+ wrote:

AIUI isolation valves should be fitted to all points of use, but I

could be wrong.

In large buildings or anywhere where temporarily shutting off all the H
& C could be a problem, then I think it s a good idea.

In most domestic situations though it s not that hard/inconvenient to
shut off all supplies for repairs.

Domestically every point of use is a bit OTT, every room is better.
Allows the rest of the house to function normally (downstairs loo,
coffee...) whilst you battle the snags that are turning a hours job
into taking the whole day and the day after...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 20 January 2020 13:01:47 UTC, rick wrote:
If you are fitting a freestanding shower, should you fit isolation valve
to H&C feed valves?

The ones that are screwdriver operated are a waste of space. They are invariably seized up when you want them. (The screwdriver slot just mangles up)
The lever operated one are a bit better but often leak when operated a few years later.

They are really ****.

On the flexible connections.
The braid on the flexible bits usually rusts. (I thought it was SS, but it isn't).