Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default The end of Windows 7

OK so we listened to the news, read the discussion on 10 upgrade but how
to explain this mornings 250mB update?

More seriously, is W7 32 bit going to sensibly change to W10?
--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/01/2020 10:20, Tim Lamb wrote:
OK so we listened to the news, read the discussion on 10 upgrade but how
to explain this mornings 250mB update?

It is still yesterday in Microsoft land.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:

OK so we listened to the news, read the discussion on 10 upgrade but how
to explain this mornings 250mB update?

The only update I see for win7 this year is a dotnet update.

Whether yesterday's crypto vulnerability is seen as serious enough that
they do fix it in win7, or whether they'll use it as a big lever to tell
joe public to move to win10 will be interesting ...

More seriously, is W7 32 bit going to sensibly change to W10?

I've updated a couple of dozen machines 7-10 in the last year, most of
them got a HD-SSD upgrade at the same time, so the original disk was
there as a backup in case of issues, but was never needed. they were all
allowed to upgrade for free, despite the official free offer being long
gone.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes my only issue with windows 10 is that they have a forced policy of
making some software like Outlook Express not work and trashing it, If they
had offered a paid for copy of Outlook with data and account transfer, I'd
go with it as at every new version of windows 10 it trashes it again even
though the damn thing works with just a few tweaks far better than the
crappy windows email client does, which has no filters and no newsgroup
support and keeps on crashing. Microsoft could very easily have modified
Outlook express with extra security and satisfied Google and left things
alone I'd have thought for a lot less cost than designing a rubbish
replacement, and don't even get me started on what they have done to Skype.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Tim Lamb wrote:

OK so we listened to the news, read the discussion on 10 upgrade but how
to explain this mornings 250mB update?

The only update I see for win7 this year is a dotnet update.

Whether yesterday's crypto vulnerability is seen as serious enough that
they do fix it in win7, or whether they'll use it as a big lever to tell
joe public to move to win10 will be interesting ...

More seriously, is W7 32 bit going to sensibly change to W10?

I've updated a couple of dozen machines 7-10 in the last year, most of
them got a HD-SSD upgrade at the same time, so the original disk was
there as a backup in case of issues, but was never needed. they were all
allowed to upgrade for free, despite the official free offer being long
gone.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes my only issue with windows 10 is that they have a forced policy of
making some software like Outlook Express not work and trashing it, If they

Outlook express has not worked since win 7 (at least not without
manually installing the missing DLLs it requires)

had offered a paid for copy of Outlook with data and account transfer, I'd

They do have a paid for version of outlook... (in fact all versions of
outlook are paid for). Outlook 2007 or higher works with all versions of
windows from the last decade or more.

go with it as at every new version of windows 10 it trashes it again even
though the damn thing works with just a few tweaks far better than the
crappy windows email client does, which has no filters and no newsgroup
support and keeps on crashing. Microsoft could very easily have modified
Outlook express with extra security and satisfied Google and left things
alone I'd have thought for a lot less cost than designing a rubbish
replacement, and don't even get me started on what they have done to Skype.
Brian

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

They do have a paid for version of outlook

But it doesn't do usenet.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 15 Jan 2020 11:04:55 +0000, Andy Burns wrote:

Whether yesterday's crypto vulnerability is seen as serious enough that
they do fix it in win7, or whether they'll use it as a big lever to tell
joe public to move to win10 will be interesting ...

The irony is that, apparently, the vulnerability isn't there in Windows 7.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Whether yesterday's crypto vulnerability is seen as serious enough that
they do fix it in win7, or whether they'll use it as a big lever to tell
joe public to move to win10 will be interesting ...

The irony is that, apparently, the vulnerability isn't there in Windows 7.

I thought it would turn out that win7 and earlier *would* be affected,
but apparently not ...

Windows 8.1 and prior, as well as the Server 2012 R2 and prior
counterparts, do not support ECC keys with parameters. For this
reason, such certificates that attempt to exploit this
vulnerability are inherently untrusted by older Windows
versions.

https://kb.cert.org/vuls/id/849224/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)"
writes
Windows 7 had a big extra update on Tuesday night and I installed it
yesterday, the the sky has not fallen in.

And a further 3.9 meg. update this morning.

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/01/2020 09:41, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , "Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)"
writes
Windows 7 had a big extra update on Tuesday night and I installed it
yesterday, theÂ* the sky has not fallen in.

And a further 3.9 meg. update this morning.

And a full screen NAG about no more protection on Wednesday morning
just before I switched to Win 10.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/01/2020 11:04, Andy Burns wrote:
Tim Lamb wrote:

OK so we listened to the news, read the discussion on 10 upgrade but
how to explain this mornings 250mB update?

The only update I see for win7 this year is a dotnet update.

Whether yesterday's crypto vulnerability is seen as serious enough that
they do fix it in win7, or whether they'll use it as a big lever to tell
joe public to move to win10 will be interesting ...

More seriously, is W7 32 bit going to sensibly change to W10?

I've updated a couple of dozen machines 7-10 in the last year, most of
them got a HD-SSD upgrade at the same time, so the original disk was
there as a backup in case of issues, but was never needed. they were all
allowed to upgrade for free, despite the official free offer being long
gone.

How do you do that? I also want to upgrade Win7-10 as a clean install
on a new SSD.

How does the "allowed to upgrade for free" work?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:

OK so we listened to the news, read the discussion on 10 upgrade but
how to explain this mornings 250mB update?

The only update I see for win7 this year is a dotnet update.

Whether yesterday's crypto vulnerability is seen as serious enough
that they do fix it in win7, or whether they'll use it as a big lever
to tell joe public to move to win10 will be interesting ...

More seriously, is W7 32 bit going to sensibly change to W10?

I've updated a couple of dozen machines 7-10 in the last year, most
of them got a HD-SSD upgrade at the same time, so the original disk
was there as a backup in case of issues, but was never needed. they
were all allowed to upgrade for free, despite the official free offer
being long gone.

How do you do that?Â* I also want to upgrade Win7-10 as a clean install
on a new SSD.

How does the "allowed to upgrade for free" work?

According to this
https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/soft...load/windows10 "a [win
10] license is required".
Posted to uk.d-i-y

JoeJoe wrote:

How does the "allowed to upgrade for free" work?

According to this
https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/soft...load/windows10
"a [win 10] license is required".

theoretically correct, in practice never known a machine that starts
with a valid Win7 licence to need to buy a win10 licence, no guarantee
of course.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/01/2020 18:19, Andy Burns wrote:
JoeJoe wrote:

How does the "allowed to upgrade for free" work?

According to this
https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/soft...load/windows10 "a [win
10] license is required".

theoretically correct, in practice never known a machine that starts
with a valid Win7 licence to need to buy a win10 licence, no guarantee
of course.

Wasn't there a get around anyway after the free update period ended -
stating that you needed to use assistive technologies?

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:

[...]

https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=799445

That will download Windows10Upgrade9252.exe

MD5 Hash: AE21A2989E1EF2EABA2F35EB21DF7EF5

That will update a valid Win7 installation to Win10. Once 10 is
installed and verified it will keeps a digital licence on its servers
for your specific hardware.

If you want a clean install just install from a Win10 ISO after that and
it should be automatically licensed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

JoeJoe wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

I've updated a couple of dozen machines 7-10 in the last year, most
of them got a HD-SSD upgrade at the same time, so the original disk
was there as a backup in case of issues, but was never needed. they
were all allowed to upgrade for free, despite the official free offer
being long gone.

How do you do that?Â* I also want to upgrade Win7-10 as a clean install
on a new SSD.

Didn't do them as clean installs, cloned HD-SSD (reducing partition
size if required) removed HD and stuck on shelf, then perform a win10
upgrade install in-place over win7, using ISO or USB stick generated by
the Microsoft media creation tool. Later put the HD back in and
reformat as D: drive.

How does the "allowed to upgrade for free" work?

It's just down to Microsoft not really checking, so you get away with
it, these were all machines with "good" win7 pro licences to start with.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/01/2020 18:16, Andy Burns wrote:
JoeJoe wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

I've updated a couple of dozen machines 7-10 in the last year, most
of them got a HD-SSD upgrade at the same time, so the original disk
was there as a backup in case of issues, but was never needed. they
were all allowed to upgrade for free, despite the official free offer
being long gone.

How do you do that?Â* I also want to upgrade Win7-10 as a clean
install on a new SSD.

Didn't do them as clean installs, cloned HD-SSD (reducing partition
size if required) removed HD and stuck on shelf, then perform a win10
upgrade install in-place over win7, using ISO or USB stick generated by
the Microsoft media creation tool.Â* Later put the HD back in and
reformat as D: drive.

How does the "allowed to upgrade for free" work?

It's just down to Microsoft not really checking, so you get away with
it, these were all machines with "good" win7 pro licences to start with.

Thanks, worth a shot as all my machines have legit Win 7 licences.

Is there a downside to an upgrade, rather than a clean install?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

JoeJoe wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

I've updated a couple of dozen machines 7-10 in the last year, most
of them got a HD-SSD upgrade at the same time, so the original disk
was there as a backup in case of issues, but was never needed. they
were all allowed to upgrade for free, despite the official free
offer being long gone.

How do you do that?Â* I also want to upgrade Win7-10 as a clean
install on a new SSD.

Didn't do them as clean installs, cloned HD-SSD (reducing partition
size if required) removed HD and stuck on shelf, then perform a win10
upgrade install in-place over win7, using ISO or USB stick generated
by the Microsoft media creation tool.Â* Later put the HD back in and
reformat as D: drive.

How does the "allowed to upgrade for free" work?

It's just down to Microsoft not really checking, so you get away with
it, these were all machines with "good" win7 pro licences to start with.

Thanks, worth a shot as all my machines have legit Win 7 licences.

Is there a downside to an upgrade, rather than a clean install?

Once it has upgraded, it should licence itself (assuming that that still
works). From then on, you can wipe it and install from scratch and as it
has already recorded the machine as licenced on the MS servers, it'll
re-activate automatically.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/01/2020 10:20, Tim Lamb wrote:

OK so we listened to the news, read the discussion on 10 upgrade but how
to explain this mornings 250mB update?

"Patch Tuesday" has just happened as usual - but that will be the last
set of patches[1] that apply to 7 for joe public. However they are not
dismantling the patch infrastructure - so any patches already in
existence will still be deployable.

[1] Unless there is something that seriously affects the security of
other systems still supported - in which case they may roll out a fix
for the unsupported systems, or, if you are a business user and have
elected to pay MS for ongoing support (which means they still need to
patch it for the next three years anyway)

More seriously, is W7 32 bit going to sensibly change to W10?

Win 10 is not too much additional overhead compared to Win 7 - so there
is a reasonable chance many machines with 7 will still work with 10.
Much depends on what kind of spec machine it is. You will also need
about 15GB spare drive space to do an in place upgrade. Having said
that, a clean install of the 64bit version might make more sense.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 15 January 2020 11:22:34 UTC, John Rumm wrote:

Win 10 is not too much additional overhead compared to Win 7 - so there
is a reasonable chance many machines with 7 will still work with 10.
Much depends on what kind of spec machine it is. You will also need
about 15GB spare drive space to do an in place upgrade. Having said
that, a clean install of the 64bit version might make more sense.

However, users of elderly systems, perhaps updated from even older systems, may still be using some 16-bit executables; maybe not as major applications, but possibly as small but essential components.

AIUI, all Windows before Windows 10 can natively run 16-bit executables, but 64-bit Windows cannot.

I should shortly be updating a neighbour's Windows 7 system to Windows 10, and currently intend to get 32-bit, if I can see how.

--
(c) Dr. S. Lartius, UK. Gmail: dr.s.lartius@ |

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dr S Lartius Wrote in message:
On Wednesday, 15 January 2020 11:22:34 UTC, John Rumm wrote:

Win 10 is not too much additional overhead compared to Win 7 - so there
is a reasonable chance many machines with 7 will still work with 10.
Much depends on what kind of spec machine it is. You will also need
about 15GB spare drive space to do an in place upgrade. Having said
that, a clean install of the 64bit version might make more sense.

However, users of elderly systems, perhaps updated from even older systems, may still be using some 16-bit executables; maybe not as major applications, but possibly as small but essential components.

AIUI, all Windows before Windows 10 can natively run 16-bit executables, but 64-bit Windows cannot.

I should shortly be updating a neighbour's Windows 7 system to Windows 10, and currently intend to get 32-bit, if I can see how.

Why not ask nicely on here?
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/01/2020 13:24, Jimk wrote:
[...]

I just clicked on the 'DownLoad Windows 10 Now' on
the Microsoft site and chose 'Update this PC now'
and left it to do its business for a couple of hours.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 15 Jan 2020 14:01:19 +0000, Andrew
wrote:

snip

I just clicked on the 'DownLoad Windows 10 Now' on
the Microsoft site and chose 'Update this PC now'
and left it to do its business for a couple of hours.

Recently?

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 15 Jan 2020 05:12:09 -0800, Dr S Lartius wrote:

I should shortly be updating a neighbour's Windows 7 system to Windows
10,
and currently intend to get 32-bit, if I can see how.

You get the choice to download one, or both, of the installatiuon images.

You can do that before purchase of a key.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/soft...load/windows10

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dr S Lartius wrote:

AIUI, all Windows before Windows 10 can natively run 16-bit executables

Only 16 or 32 bit versions of Windows can run 16 bit programs, there
have been 64 bit versions of XP, Vista, 7, 8.x and 10 (plus
corresponding server editions) none of which can run 16 bit programs ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 15 Jan 2020 13:35:03 +0000, Andy Burns wrote:

Dr S Lartius wrote:

AIUI, all Windows before Windows 10 can natively run 16-bit executables

Only 16 or 32 bit versions of Windows can run 16 bit programs, there
have been 64 bit versions of XP, Vista, 7, 8.x and 10 (plus
corresponding server editions) none of which can run 16 bit programs ...

Indeed. I was given an ancient CD with a load of aacdemic papers from a
journal. I wanted about 20 of them, and the download cost was prohibitive.

I was running Windows 7 64-bit, and the thing had a 16 bit installer. I
spun up an XP VM and did it that way. The printing was a further problem;
it produced minuscule page images, so I had to hack the PostScript output
too!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/01/2020 13:12, Dr S Lartius wrote:
On Wednesday, 15 January 2020 11:22:34 UTC, John Rumm wrote:

Win 10 is not too much additional overhead compared to Win 7 - so there
is a reasonable chance many machines with 7 will still work with 10.
Much depends on what kind of spec machine it is. You will also need
about 15GB spare drive space to do an in place upgrade. Having said
that, a clean install of the 64bit version might make more sense.

However, users of elderly systems, perhaps updated from even older systems, may still be using some 16-bit executables; maybe not as major applications, but possibly as small but essential components.

AIUI, all Windows before Windows 10 can natively run 16-bit executables, but 64-bit Windows cannot.

I should shortly be updating a neighbour's Windows 7 system to Windows 10, and currently intend to get 32-bit, if I can see how.

I tried to use Heat Loss manager 1998 on Win10 Pro/32 earlier, and it
said I needed to install NTVDM. Maybe I'll try that later ..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/01/2020 13:12, Dr S Lartius wrote:
On Wednesday, 15 January 2020 11:22:34 UTC, John Rumm wrote:

Win 10 is not too much additional overhead compared to Win 7 - so
there is a reasonable chance many machines with 7 will still work
with 10. Much depends on what kind of spec machine it is. You will
also need about 15GB spare drive space to do an in place upgrade.
Having said that, a clean install of the 64bit version might make
more sense.

However, users of elderly systems, perhaps updated from even older
systems, may still be using some 16-bit executables; maybe not as
major applications, but possibly as small but essential components.

True. However for applications like these, just install a 32 bit version
of Win 7 in virualbox or similar, and run them in there.

AIUI, all Windows before Windows 10 can natively run 16-bit
executables, but 64-bit Windows cannot.

Don't think any of the 64 bit platforms support 16 bit, and most Win 7
systems out there are likely to be 64 bit.

I should shortly be updating a neighbour's Windows 7 system to
Windows 10, and currently intend to get 32-bit, if I can see how.

Is their current system 32 bit?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I don't think in most cases there is any need to run 16bit apps now as all
the main offenders long ago made them 32bit.
I guess there might be a few almost dos level things floating about, but by
far the biggest killer of xp was the loss of support for very popular amd
chips, which meant that many bits of software will crash if one of those
processors without the sse2 instruction set are in use.
Brian

--
----- --
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well Win10 Pro/32 still runs Heatloss manager 1998 on my PC !,
and Lightroom 3.6, Photoshop elements 9, Micrografx Picture Publisher 8
and Irfanview still work.

Windows 10 refused to play with an ATI front panel that came with the
2011 Gigabyte Motherboard and something else I had forgotten I had
downloaded and that is it.

Andrew

I don't think in most cases there is any need to run 16bit apps now as all
the main offenders long ago made them 32bit.
I guess there might be a few almost dos level things floating about, but by
far the biggest killer of xp was the loss of support for very popular amd
chips, which meant that many bits of software will crash if one of those
processors without the sse2 instruction set are in use.
Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 15 Jan 2020 10:20:44 +0000, Tim Lamb
wrote:

OK so we listened to the news, read the discussion on 10 upgrade but how
to explain this mornings 250mB update?

AFAIK, most expired MS OS's got some updates for some time after their
expiry date, possibly when enough people complained that they couldn't
upgrade their OS on that particular hardware (or didn't want to as
they might lose access to some specific hardware or software).

More seriously, is W7 32 bit going to sensibly change to W10?

'Change to', I wouldn't like to guarantee (but believe there is no
specific reason it shouldn't). 'Be upgraded to via a fresh install
using the W7 COA', pretty good, unless you have some important
software or hardware etc.

The latter is more work because you also have to re-install all your
software but does give you the chance to say have a clear out and / or
upgrade to an SSD, whilst keeping your W7 install on the old hard
drive, in case you can't use W10 for some reason (not sure what
happens re licensing / authentication if either phone home and it
shows as the same licence etc)?

FWIW, those machine here that are W7 and haven't been upgraded to W10
will probably stay that way as we generally run additional security
software.

Happy as ever to pop over etc. ;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , T i m
writes
wrote:

[...]

I plan to ask you to look at the hp probook anyway.

Apart from Turnpike, most of my stuff is either open source or related
to the printer.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim Lamb
writes
In message , T i m
writes
wrote:

[...]

Scrub that! It has W 7 home premium and I couldn't find the RAM size.

Apart from Turnpike, most of my stuff is either open source or related
to the printer.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 15 Jan 2020 15:46:21 +0000, Tim Lamb
wrote:

snip

Happy as ever to pop over etc. ;-)

I plan to ask you to look at the hp probook anyway.

Scrub that! It has W 7 home premium and I couldn't find the RAM size.

Control Panel System General Tab?

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , T i m
writes
wrote:

snip

Happy as ever to pop over etc. ;-)

I plan to ask you to look at the hp probook anyway.

Scrub that! It has W 7 home premium and I couldn't find the RAM size.

Control Panel System General Tab?

Probably:-)
It has gone back in the drawer.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/01/2020 13:42, Tim Lamb wrote:
Apart from Turnpike, most of my stuff is either open source or related
to the printer.

Worth giving linux mint a spin then

You can clone your current machines W7 and run it as a virtual machine
if you want to keep an archive, just don't go online with it (although I
do with my old XP as I keep an old email client which I use to backup my
gmail account)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 15 Jan 2020 20:28:14 +0000, AJH wrote:

On 15/01/2020 13:42, Tim Lamb wrote:
Apart from Turnpike, most of my stuff is either open source or related
to the printer.

Worth giving linux mint a spin then

You can clone your current machines W7 and run it as a virtual machine
if you want to keep an archive, just don't go online with it (although I
do with my old XP as I keep an old email client which I use to backup my
gmail account)

I have just this moment shut down my Windows 7 desktop for the last time.

Windows 10 installation begins once the new disks are installed in 10
minutes' time.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/01/2020 20:35, Bob Eager wrote:
On Wed, 15 Jan 2020 20:28:14 +0000, AJH wrote:

On 15/01/2020 13:42, Tim Lamb wrote:
Apart from Turnpike, most of my stuff is either open source or related
to the printer.

Worth giving linux mint a spin then

You can clone your current machines W7 and run it as a virtual machine
if you want to keep an archive, just don't go online with it (although I
do with my old XP as I keep an old email client which I use to backup my
gmail account)

I have just this moment shut down my Windows 7 desktop for the last time.

Windows 10 installation begins once the new disks are installed in 10
minutes' time.

You'll probably notice quite an improvement in disk and graphics
performance over W7 if you stay with the same kind of disk technology

I was going to buy a new PC rather than update around this time but I
was forced to update to W10 early last summer as there was some MS
software I had to use that didn't support Win7. So a few bob spent on a
1TB SSD and 16GB of RAM and this 7 year old i7 flies again and no need
for a new PC now.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , AJH
writes
On 15/01/2020 13:42, Tim Lamb wrote:
Apart from Turnpike, most of my stuff is either open source or
related to the printer.

Worth giving linux mint a spin then

You can clone your current machines W7 and run it as a virtual
machine if you want to keep an archive, just don't go online with it
(although I do with my old XP as I keep an old email client which I use
to backup my gmail account)

I'm a user rather than a geek!
My initial thinking is to stick with W7 and pay for some better
protection.

--
Tim Lamb

uPVC beads with end square end and one mitred end Tim Watts[_2_] UK diy 7 December 5th 12 06:32 PM
End-to-End Capacitance of SMD Resistors Jim Thompson Electronic Schematics 18 January 7th 08 02:06 AM
End to End garages Furby UK diy 0 October 18th 07 06:53 PM
what do you call? threaded on one end, cylinder on the other end. jj Metalworking 2 November 16th 05 06:10 AM
joining spindles end to end Jack Thomas Woodworking 1 October 2nd 04 11:04 PM