Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Safe working

My neighbours are having windows replaced today (decent local firm) just
looked across and they have a ladder with a stand-off, and have tied the
ladder onto ....

A 22m copper gas pipe going up to the boiler in the loft!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 6 Jan 2020 13:45:57 +0000, Andy Burns
wrote:

My neighbours are having windows replaced today (decent local firm) just
looked across and they have a ladder with a stand-off, and have tied the
ladder onto ....

snip

A 22m copper gas pipe going up to the boiler in the loft!

Whilst not 'recommended' ... could it depend on how well the pipe was
clipped to the wall (and unknown ITRW of course, even if there are
what looks like strong clips at regular intervals) and how close the
tie was to one of them (so less chance of bending the pipe should it
actually get used).

22mm copper pipe is quite strong, as anyone who has tried to bend some
round their knee with a bending spring will attest.

I'm not sure what the alternatives would be? Have them drill a hole in
your wall to fit a better anchor?

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jethro_uk wrote:

A few months later the house across the road had a tree lopped, and the
man+dog operation were up and down ladders, no harness, no face
protection (just goggles) and swinging the chainsaw around like a
cheerleaders baton.

Sometimes you just can't watch.

A neighbour of mine, after having been ripped off by itinerants
(they had invented a story that there had been complaints, and he
had to let them do the work) who left him with unbelievably
mangled eyesores of trees, plus all the trimmings for him to
dispose of, apparently went with a garden landscape firm to clear
the lot, and give the plot a bit of a makeover.

They had a reasonably large conifer to bring down, without room
to drop it in one. I saw no goggles, ear defenders, or safety
clothing in evidence whilst using a chain saw. An extended
sectional ladder rested against the tree, but wasn't secured to
it. There was some form of primitive personal safety loop, but it
was only clipped to the ladder, the top rung of which rested
insecurely against the curve of the trunk.

As they worked down from the top, the chain saw was deployed at
about head height but, having no goggles, the operator was
showered with sawdust and had to look away from the cut.
Meanwhile the second man had to leave his position footing the
ladder to heave on the rope hoping to persuade the section to
fall the right way. Occasionally he was successful.

To my surprise they survived, but that is simply not the way to
do it. At almost every stage they progressed in such a tentative
way, that it seemed to me that they were way out of their depth.

Had I not been recuperating after a minor op at the time, I would
probably have tried to intervene.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
@ChrisJDixon1

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Oh dear, the next thing will be a leak and a plumber will call, he will no
doubt do something to some other vital part of the infrastructure, still
the days are lengthening.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Andy Burns" wrote in message
My neighbours are having windows replaced today (decent local firm) just
looked across and they have a ladder with a stand-off, and have tied the
ladder onto ....

A 22m copper gas pipe going up to the boiler in the loft!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jethro_uk" wrote in message
Nearly 10 years ago, we paid (went halves with the neighbour) to have two
pretty hefty willow trees removed. The outfit that did it had harnesses,
full face (like welders) protection, and stopped a few times to clean out
the chainsaw.

A few months later the house across the road had a tree lopped, and the
man+dog operation were up and down ladders, no harness, no face
protection (just goggles) and swinging the chainsaw around like a
cheerleaders baton.

Sometimes you just can't watch.

One of my neighbours got his massive great palm trees removed.
The bugger that removed them had nothing but the chainsaw on
a rope, spiked boots and another rope that went around the trunk
of the tree. Fascinating to watch.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Auto-contradicting Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Tue, 7 Jan 2020 06:32:42 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

One of my neighbours

You got NEIGHBOURS, senile Rodent? So why do you still have NOBODY to talk
to in real life, as your abnormal posting history shows?

cretin from Oz: