Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Windows 7 nag screen...

Has anyone else noticed that in the last few days a nag screen has started
to appear at start up on windows 7 home machines?
Also while in use most windows 7 machines since the recent updates have
apparently started refreshing their screens, no matter what is running. The
sighted may not see this except for perhaps a mouse position move, but blind
users, if reading a document, find it stops the reading, as it changes the
focus of the carat.
Similar things can happen if some alert is displayed, but there is no
alert, so I did wonder if this was in readiness for a mega nag after the end
of January to **** off users.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Has anyone else noticed that in the last few days a nag screen has started
to appear at start up on windows 7 home machines?
Also while in use most windows 7 machines since the recent updates have
apparently started refreshing their screens, no matter what is running. The
sighted may not see this except for perhaps a mouse position move, but blind
users, if reading a document, find it stops the reading, as it changes the
focus of the carat.
Similar things can happen if some alert is displayed, but there is no
alert, so I did wonder if this was in readiness for a mega nag after the end
of January to **** off users.

Mine stopped updating ages ago. Now even the antivirus program (Security
Essentials) refuses to update its virus definitions. The machine
continues to work all right.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'm still getting daily msse updates and today two new windows 7 updates.
I know that msse has been doctored on xp machines to appear not to update,
but this looks like an illusion at least for one of the two files it
downloads, and scanning continues and as long as you do the update even if
it says its failed it carries on going.
On windows 7, to stop the nag screen there is a scheduled task called end
of life which runs two tasks, notify 1 and notify2 which if disabled seem to
stop it from showing it, but of course Microsoft will no doubt send a new
update to stop this again at the end of January.
Pro machines like this one seem not to have had the screen yet, even though
the routine was actually installed in April.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Max Demian" wrote in message
o.uk...
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Max
Demian writes
Has anyone else noticed that in the last few days a nag screen has started
to appear at start up on windows 7 home machines?
Also while in use most windows 7 machines since the recent updates have
apparently started refreshing their screens, no matter what is running. The
sighted may not see this except for perhaps a mouse position move, but blind
users, if reading a document, find it stops the reading, as it changes the
focus of the carat.
Similar things can happen if some alert is displayed, but there is no
alert, so I did wonder if this was in readiness for a mega nag after the end
of January to **** off users.

Mine stopped updating ages ago. Now even the antivirus program
(Security Essentials) refuses to update its virus definitions. The
machine continues to work all right.

W7 32 bit pro is still updating (if you call 180meg. downloads an
update!)

In Firefox, I find screens can *jump* when reading BBC news articles. I
assumed this was further content being added above where I had reached.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 22 Nov 2019 10:38:11 +0000, Max Demian wrote:

Has anyone else noticed that in the last few days a nag screen has
started to appear at start up on windows 7 home machines?
Also while in use most windows 7 machines since the recent updates
have
apparently started refreshing their screens, no matter what is running.
The sighted may not see this except for perhaps a mouse position move,
but blind users, if reading a document, find it stops the reading, as
it changes the focus of the carat.
Similar things can happen if some alert is displayed, but there is no
alert, so I did wonder if this was in readiness for a mega nag after
the end of January to **** off users.

Mine stopped updating ages ago. Now even the antivirus program (Security
Essentials) refuses to update its virus definitions. The machine
continues to work all right.

Strange. Mine updates every week, but it is the Pro version so that may
explain it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/11/2019 09:21:05, Brian Gaff (Sofa 2) wrote:
Has anyone else noticed that in the last few days a nag screen has started
to appear at start up on windows 7 home machines?
Also while in use most windows 7 machines since the recent updates have
apparently started refreshing their screens, no matter what is running. The
sighted may not see this except for perhaps a mouse position move, but blind
users, if reading a document, find it stops the reading, as it changes the
focus of the carat.
Similar things can happen if some alert is displayed, but there is no
alert, so I did wonder if this was in readiness for a mega nag after the end
of January to **** off users.
Brian

They are taking every means possible to tell you that updates will be
stopping shortly. Perhaps this nag screen is just the start!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/11/2019 12:08, Bob Eager wrote:
[...]

Yup Win 7 still gets updates (until 14th Jan next year). He probably has
a broken windows update mechanism (or one that was knobbled by malware).

(the troubleshooter can often fix windows update issues).

Failing that, download the Win 10 media creation tool and let it
"update" the current machine - it will give you an upgrade install of
win 10 without losing programs and data.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/11/2019 11:01, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Max
Demian writes
Has anyone else noticed that in the last few days a nag screen has
started
to appear at start up on windows 7 home machines?
Â* Also while in use most windows 7 machines since the recent updates
have
apparently started refreshing their screens, no matter what is
running. The
sighted may not see this except for perhaps a mouse position move,
but blind
users, if reading a document, find it stops the reading, as it
changes the
focus of the carat.
Â* Similar things can happen if some alert is displayed, but there is no
alert, so I did wonder if this was in readiness for a mega nag after
the end
of January to **** off users.

Mine stopped updating ages ago. Now even the antivirus program
(Security Essentials) refuses to update its virus definitions. The
machine continues to work all right.

W7 32 bit pro is still updating (if you call 180meg. downloads an update!)

In Firefox, I find screens can *jump* when reading BBC news articles. I
assumed this was further content being added above where I had reached.

I notice that when looking at both Richer Sounds and J-L websites.

Annoying if I am trying to select a 'brand' only to find that the screen
'jumps' and I have selected something else.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/11/2019 20:54, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Fri, 22 Nov 2019 16:51:26 +0000, John Rumm
wrote:

Failing that, download the Win 10 media and let it
"update" the current machine - it will give you an upgrade install of
win 10 without losing programs and data.

Can the W10 media creation tool be used to upgrade from W7 to W10, or
is it just for upgrading an older W10 to a more recent version? I've

It will update any properly licensed Win 7 or Win 8.1 to 10. It updates
to the same version as that in installed - so Home upgrades to Win 10
Home, and Pro to Win 10 Pro.

Once upgraded, it should be shown as "activated with a digital license",
and you can do future reinstalls on the same hardware without needing to
have the previous version installed.

been browsing to find out more about it and I'm left wondering whether
it's just the latter.

Nope, it definitely still does the full upgrade (well it did last time I
tried a few days ago). Not sure if this is an intentional "oversight" or
if its just a hangover from the way in which it was originally given away.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 22 Nov 2019 16:51:26 +0000, John Rumm
wrote:

snip

..... download the Win 10 media creation tool and let it
"update" the current machine - it will give you an upgrade install of
win 10 without losing programs and data.

I thought the original in-situ upgrade option expired some time ago
and the media creation tool only produced bootable installation media
(DVD/USB) to allow you to *install* W10 but still using a W7-8
licence?

Can I conform we are still able to *upgrade* a W7-8 installation to
W10 with all user data and (more importantly) programs and settings
intact (and if so possibly also 'how' please if it's not obvious).

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m wrote:

John Rumm wrote:

download the Win 10 media creation tool and let it
"update" the current machine - it will give you an upgrade install of
win 10 without losing programs and data.

I thought the original in-situ upgrade option expired some time ago

Microsoft never actually stopped the upgrade from working, I've upgraded
a dozen, they all activate cleanly.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 23 Nov 2019 10:27:13 +0000, Andy Burns
wrote:

T i m wrote:

John Rumm wrote:

download the Win 10 media creation tool and let it
"update" the current machine - it will give you an upgrade install of
win 10 without losing programs and data.

I thought the original in-situ upgrade option expired some time ago

Microsoft never actually stopped the upgrade from working, I've upgraded
a dozen, they all activate cleanly.

How though?

I think I remember the original upgrade was offered to you
automatically and then it stopped (being offered) but you may have
been able to still get it by running something yourself. Then I
thought that stopped but you could still actually install W10 using a
W7/8 key, just that you couldn't upgrade?

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , T i m
writes
wrote:

T i m wrote:

John Rumm wrote:

download the Win 10 media creation tool and let it
"update" the current machine - it will give you an upgrade install of
win 10 without losing programs and data.

I thought the original in-situ upgrade option expired some time ago

Microsoft never actually stopped the upgrade from working, I've upgraded
a dozen, they all activate cleanly.

How though?

I think I remember the original upgrade was offered to you
automatically and then it stopped (being offered) but you may have
been able to still get it by running something yourself. Then I
thought that stopped but you could still actually install W10 using a
W7/8 key, just that you couldn't upgrade?

I don't suppose any of this works on 32 bit anyway:-(

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Microsoft never actually stopped the upgrade from working, I've upgraded
a dozen, they all activate cleanly.

How though?

download the media creation tool, let it download Win10, make a bootable
DVD iso or a USB stick, boot from it ... or you can skip making the
bootable media and let the MCT begin the upgrade, but it's handy to have
media available for another time.

I think I remember the original upgrade was offered to you
automatically and then it stopped (being offered) but you may have
been able to still get it by running something yourself. Then I
thought that stopped but you could still actually install W10 using a
W7/8 key, just that you couldn't upgrade?

I don't suppose any of this works on 32 bit anyway:-(

it's fine, you can't upgrade a 32bit to a 64bit though, must clean install.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 23 Nov 2019 11:12:18 +0000, Andy Burns
wrote:

Tim Lamb wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Microsoft never actually stopped the upgrade from working, I've upgraded
a dozen, they all activate cleanly.

How though?

download the media creation tool, let it download Win10, make a bootable
DVD iso or a USB stick, boot from it ...

Yup, done that many times ... ;-)

or you can skip making the
bootable media and let the MCT begin the upgrade, but it's handy to have
media available for another time.

So, this is just an in-situ *upgrade* as I think when I've gone to do
that it's told me it can't do an upgrade but might store my data in a
separate folder (and I'd lose all my programs and settings)?

I think I remember the original upgrade was offered to you
automatically and then it stopped (being offered) but you may have
been able to still get it by running something yourself. Then I
thought that stopped but you could still actually install W10 using a
W7/8 key, just that you couldn't upgrade?

I don't suppose any of this works on 32 bit anyway:-(

it's fine, you can't upgrade a 32bit to a 64bit though, must clean install.

I wonder if it's that ... I've been wanting to take machines to 64bit,
not because it's 'better' (for that hardware) but because more stuff
it going 64 bit only?

I must have a 64b W7 machine somewhere, I'll try it (after imaging it
on my WHS). ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/11/2019 02:48, John Rumm wrote:
On 22/11/2019 20:54, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Fri, 22 Nov 2019 16:51:26 +0000, John Rumm
wrote:

Failing that, download the Win 10 mediaÂ* and let it
"update" the current machine - it will give you an upgrade install of
win 10 without losing programs and data.

Can the W10 media creation tool be used to upgrade from W7 to W10, or
is it just for upgrading an older W10 to a more recent version? I've

It will update any properly licensed Win 7 or Win 8.1 to 10. It updates
to the same version as that in installed - so Home upgrades to Win 10
Home, and Pro to Win 10 Pro.

Once upgraded, it should be shown as "activated with a digital license",
and you can do future reinstalls on the same hardware without needing to
have the previous version installed.

I thought the 'free upgrade' (to win 10) was time-limited and expired
ages ago . Have Microsoft changed their policy ?

I have Win 7 Pro OEM and the disk has 32 and 64 bit versions. I have
installed the 32 bit version, so what version of Win10 would I end up
with ?.

been browsing to find out more about it and I'm left wondering whether
it's just the latter.

Nope, it definitely still does the full upgrade (well it did last time I
tried a few days ago). Not sure if this is an intentional "oversight" or
if its just a hangover from the way in which it was originally given away.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew wrote:

I thought the 'free upgrade' (to win 10) was time-limited and expired
ages ago . Have Microsoft changed their policy ?

That's what they said, but in effect they never raised the drawbridge.

I have Win 7 Pro OEM and the disk has 32 and 64 bit versions. I have
installed the 32 bit version, so what version of Win10 would I end up
with ?.

As an upgrade, Win10 Pro 32bit
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/11/2019 10:15, T i m wrote:
On Fri, 22 Nov 2019 16:51:26 +0000, John Rumm
wrote:

snip

..... download the Win 10 media creation tool and let it
"update" the current machine - it will give you an upgrade install of
win 10 without losing programs and data.

I thought the original in-situ upgrade option expired some time ago
and the media creation tool only produced bootable installation media
(DVD/USB) to allow you to *install* W10 but still using a W7-8
licence?

They stopped pushing out automatic upgrades, and announced the end of
the free program. However no one seem to have told their media creation
tool :-)

I believe you can use the tool for a clean install using a win 7 / 8.1
key - although I have not tried. You however can still perform an in
situ upgrade. It keeps all apps and data intact, and saves the old
windows folder in a windows.old folder (which you can use the disk
cleanup tool to remove should you want the space back)

You may not be able to do a 32bit to 64bit upgrade though.

Can I conform we are still able to *upgrade* a W7-8 installation to
W10 with all user data and (more importantly) programs and settings
intact (and if so possibly also 'how' please if it's not obvious).

Yes certainly. I did it on my laptop last week and it was fine[1].

Go he

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/soft...load/windows10

Run tool, wait (lots of downloading), select "upgrade this PC" option
and follow though the prompts.

[1] It was more hassle on this machine than I have had previously since
there was not sufficient space on the system reserved partition to do
it. In the end I had to give it a bit of a poke[2] with the command line
to make a new larger reserved partition in some previously unallocated
space.

[2] The upgrade process needs a few hundred meg on the system reserved
partition to work. Most of the time there will be plenty of space.
However now and then (usually on machines that were originally HDD and
were cloned to a smaller SSD) the system reserved partition may have
been shrunk "to fit" and not have the space. The easy fix for this is to
create a new partition, and transfer required boot paraphernalia to it,
then promote it to being the active partition.

Just in case anyone needs to do the same:

Go into disk management (right click on Computer / This PC, select
Manage, then click Disk Management at the bottom of the tree view on the
left).

Create a new simple partition of at least 400 MB, and give it a drive
letter - say G:

Open a command prompt with admin privilege (search for CMD, the right
click and choose "run as administrator")

To copy required info to the new reserved partition type:

bcdboot c:\windows /s g:

Now enter the disk partition tool:

diskpart

In the tool, select your new volume:

select volume g

Make it active:

active

Exit the tool:

exit

reserved partition.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 23 Nov 2019 12:47:18 +0000, John Rumm
wrote:

On 23/11/2019 10:15, T i m wrote:
On Fri, 22 Nov 2019 16:51:26 +0000, John Rumm
wrote:

snip

..... download the Win 10 media creation tool and let it
"update" the current machine - it will give you an upgrade install of
win 10 without losing programs and data.

I thought the original in-situ upgrade option expired some time ago
and the media creation tool only produced bootable installation media
(DVD/USB) to allow you to *install* W10 but still using a W7-8
licence?

They stopped pushing out automatic upgrades, and announced the end of
the free program. However no one seem to have told their media creation
tool :-)

I think I remember two 'automatic phases, one where it popped up and
offered itself to you and a second where you could activate it
(possibly online), possibly after it had been stopped 'officially'.

I believe you can use the tool for a clean install using a win 7 / 8.1
key - although I have not tried.

That's all I have done (with the Media Creation Tool).

You however can still perform an in
situ upgrade. It keeps all apps and data intact,

That would be handy then. ;-)

and saves the old
windows folder in a windows.old folder (which you can use the disk
cleanup tool to remove should you want the space back)

Seen.

You may not be able to do a 32bit to 64bit upgrade though.

Agreed, I don't believe you can.

Can I conform we are still able to *upgrade* a W7-8 installation to
W10 with all user data and (more importantly) programs and settings
intact (and if so possibly also 'how' please if it's not obvious).

Yes certainly. I did it on my laptop last week and it was fine[1].

Cool. ;-)

Go he

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/soft...load/windows10

Yup, that's where I normally go but seldom on the PC I'm actually
thinking of upgrading (I just download the image and put it on USB/DVD
to use elsewhere etc).

Run tool, wait (lots of downloading), select "upgrade this PC" option
and follow though the prompts.

Ok.

[1] It was more hassle on this machine than I have had previously since
there was not sufficient space on the system reserved partition to do
it. In the end I had to give it a bit of a poke[2] with the command line
to make a new larger reserved partition in some previously unallocated
space.

I would have used Gparted for that from a LiveDVD/USB?

[2] The upgrade process needs a few hundred meg on the system reserved
partition to work. Most of the time there will be plenty of space.
However now and then (usually on machines that were originally HDD and
were cloned to a smaller SSD) the system reserved partition may have
been shrunk "to fit" and not have the space.

Ah.

The easy fix for this is to
create a new partition, and transfer required boot paraphernalia to it,
then promote it to being the active partition.

Hmm, I'm not sure I'd call that 'easy' but ... ;-)

Just in case anyone needs to do the same:

Go into disk management (right click on Computer / This PC, select
Manage, then click Disk Management at the bottom of the tree view on the
left).

Create a new simple partition of at least 400 MB, and give it a drive
letter - say G:

Open a command prompt with admin privilege (search for CMD, the right
click and choose "run as administrator")

To copy required info to the new reserved partition type:

bcdboot c:\windows /s g:

Now enter the disk partition tool:

diskpart

In the tool, select your new volume:

select volume g

Make it active:

active

Exit the tool:

exit

reserved partition.

I'm not sure that's the sort of thing I would ever rely on from memory
(these days). ;-(

Thanks, I'll give it a go.

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Failing that, download the Win 10 mediaÂ* and let it
"update" the current machine - it will give you an upgrade install of
win 10 without losing programs and data.

Can the W10 media creation tool be used to upgrade from W7 to W10, or
is it just for upgrading an older W10 to a more recent version? I've

It will update any properly licensed Win 7 or Win 8.1 to 10. It
updates to the same version as that in installed - so Home upgrades to
Win 10 Home, and Pro to Win 10 Pro.

Once upgraded, it should be shown as "activated with a digital
license", and you can do future reinstalls on the same hardware
without needing to have the previous version installed.

I thought the 'free upgrade' (to win 10) was time-limited and expired
ages ago .

It did...

Have Microsoft changed their policy ?

Not officially - although the web guidance is somewhat open to
interpretation.

I have Win 7 Pro OEM and the disk has 32 and 64 bit versions. I have
installed the 32 bit version, so what version of Win10 would I end up
with ?.

At a guess, 32. but note I have not tried doing an upgrade on a 32 bit
version.

(you could always clone the drive for safety, and then try)

You may be able to do a clean install of 64 bit with the existing umber
though.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 22 Nov 2019 09:21:05 -0000, "Brian Gaff \(Sofa 2\)"
wrote:

Has anyone else noticed that in the last few days a nag screen has started
to appear at start up on windows 7 home machines?

Possibly KB 4524752 which was inflicted mid October.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...7-professional
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bob Eager wrote:
Mine stopped updating ages ago. Now even the antivirus program (Security
Essentials) refuses to update its virus definitions. The machine
continues to work all right.

Strange. Mine updates every week, but it is the Pro version so that may
explain it.

I have both home and pro here. Both still updating. Usually once a week on
a Tuesday. Last update was pretty massive.

--
*Confession is good for the soul, but bad for your career.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Has anyone else noticed that in the last few days a nag screen has started
to appear at start up on windows 7 home machines?
Also while in use most windows 7 machines since the recent updates have
apparently started refreshing their screens, no matter what is running. The
sighted may not see this except for perhaps a mouse position move, but blind
users, if reading a document, find it stops the reading, as it changes the
focus of the carat.
Similar things can happen if some alert is displayed, but there is no
alert, so I did wonder if this was in readiness for a mega nag after the end
of January to **** off users.
Brian

For a while I've been wondering whether to risk changing from W7 to W10,
but this thread gave me the poke I needed. The process was quick(ish),
painless and (so far) everything seems to work. YMMV, of course.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 23 Nov 2019 17:41:49 +0000, wrote:

snip

For a while I've been wondering whether to risk changing from W7 to W10,
but this thread gave me the poke I needed. The process was quick(ish),
painless and (so far) everything seems to work.

Result.

YMMV, of course.

Of course.

It's strange, I 'like' W10 as a desktop solution in the same way as I
'like' Linux (say Mint) as a desktop solution in that it generally
installs fairly automagically (so that's the first .0001% of their
life) but doesn't make doing some things as easy as you know they can
be, in my case compared with W7.

Ignoring any of the hardware automagic stuff (not normally an issue to
me on Windows and needn't be an issue if someone else has been though
it and documented a solution that will actually work when copy
pasted on Linux) but with W10 I'm often happy when I've gone past the
W10 UI / DE crap and am back to what I know and works from say W7.

That's not to say that I can't deal with the 'superfluous' crap on
W10, just that I don't need / use it and it just gets in the way.

I don't necessarily want it to be like W7 in it's looks / layout (in
the same way I don't run a Linux that looks like Windows), I just
begrudge all the idiot steps you often have to click past to get to
thing things that are really going to make a difference. That's not
that you can't get to those things directly via an alternative mouse
click, just that I would prefer not to have to.

I know I'm going to have to move away from XP, especially as this
particular install is getting fairly long in the tooth now, it's just
that it's like a comfy old glove that still actually works for 90% of
what I need and I'm not looking forward to having to break a new one
in. ;-(

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"T i m" wrote in message
[...]

I get the reverse effect, cringe when I have to deal with the quirks of XP
again.

And while I still run Win7 almost all the time, I am finding some of
its real deficiencys like not being able to control the font and bold
used in stuff as basic as explorer with the body of the window a
complete main the arse now that my eyesight isnt what it used to be.

Not trivial for me to change to Win10 for everything, particularly
as a quick test shows that the Access 2003 databases that I use
every day wont run reliably on Win10 and it would be a massive
effort to change those to a later Access due to the dramatic UI
change that happened after 2003. Havent yet checked if that
problem is fundamental to Access 2003 Win10 or just a quirk
of the laptop I did the test on.

I could certainly run a virtual Wiu7 on Win10 for the stuff like
that that is a problem on Win10 but havent gotten around to
going that route just to make explorer much more readable.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Auto-contradicting Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!

On Sun, 24 Nov 2019 09:01:24 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

I get the reverse effect,

NOBODY gives a **** about what you get or don't get, senile pest! Neither on
Usenet NOR in real life!

cretin from Oz:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Andrew
writes
wrote:

[...]

You select the option during install - or so I was told by MS but I
haven't tried it yet.
been browsing to find out more about it and I'm left wondering whether
it's just the latter.

Nope, it definitely still does the full upgrade (well it did last
time I tried a few days ago). Not sure if this is an intentional
"oversight" or if its just a hangover from the way in which it was
originally given away.

--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 22 Nov 2019 16:51:26 +0000, John Rumm
wrote:

snip
Yup Win 7 still gets updates (until 14th Jan next year). He probably has
a broken windows update mechanism (or one that was knobbled by malware).

(the troubleshooter can often fix windows update issues).

Failing that, download the Win 10 media creation tool and let it
"update" the current machine - it will give you an upgrade install of
win 10 without losing programs and data.

You are a true Champion John.
It never occurred to me that this method of upgrade was available or
even possible.
I've just used your suggestion to upgrade my computer with ten years
worth of Windows 7 pro apps and docs on it.
The end result is that you wouldn't know there has been any change at
all unless you looked at "This PC Properties..."
I was dreading what turned out to be a beautifully simple and trouble
free solution. Thanks a bunch!
--

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 22 November 2019 09:21:10 UTC, Brian Gaff (Sofa 2) wrote:
Has anyone else noticed that in the last few days a nag screen has started
to appear at start up on windows 7 home machines?

I'm surprised you've not yet embraced Windows 10, Brian. I thought that the accessibility features had been vastly improved since Windows 7 was designed all those years ago? (not that I use accessibility features)

Perhaps you have other reasons to stick with Windows 7 though?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Hogg wrote:

I find I'm much happier with W10 on the PC than I was with W10 on the
little laptop

maybe the manufacturer had set the laptop in "tablet mode"?

There's a toggle on the activity centre (from the bottom right sepech
bubble icon) it seems to confuse the hell out of people when they
accidentally click it ... try it see if that's how the laptop felt, you
can just toggle it off again to get back to normal.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/11/2019 14:22, Chris Hogg wrote:
.... snipped

The second thing is that when I switch on my W7 PC, the first screen
that comes up after Windows has loaded is the one showing me the
various users, and I select which one to log in with. There are just
two, one with administrator rights, the other is simply a 'user'
without those rights. I would normally use the latter, because AIUI
there's less chance of getting infected with malware than when running
as an administrator. But now I've updated to W10, only one user
appears on the opening screen, the one without administrator rights. I
would like the option to be able to log on as either, but I don't yet
see how to get both users to appear on that opening screen in order to
make the choice. Can anyone tell me what I have to do?

I followed the instructions he
https://www.technipages.com/windows-...t-login-screen
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/11/2019 14:22, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Mon, 25 Nov 2019 14:23:59 +0000, Mike Halmarack
wrote:

On Fri, 22 Nov 2019 16:51:26 +0000, John Rumm
wrote:

snip
Yup Win 7 still gets updates (until 14th Jan next year). He probably has
a broken windows update mechanism (or one that was knobbled by malware).

(the troubleshooter can often fix windows update issues).

Failing that, download the Win 10 media creation tool and let it
"update" the current machine - it will give you an upgrade install of
win 10 without losing programs and data.

You are a true Champion John.
It never occurred to me that this method of upgrade was available or
even possible.
I've just used your suggestion to upgrade my computer with ten years
worth of Windows 7 pro apps and docs on it.
The end result is that you wouldn't know there has been any change at
all unless you looked at "This PC Properties..."
I was dreading what turned out to be a beautifully simple and trouble
free solution. Thanks a bunch!

+100

I've just upgraded my reserve PC (W7 Home Premium 32 bit) using the
media creation tool, after first having made a disk image on an
external HDD in a caddy using Acronis, in case it all went tits up.
But apart from taking nearly four hours to complete (!), it all went
smoothly.

nice one...

I've still got some tweaking to do on the reserve PC, but when I've
sorted that out, I'll have a go at updating this one (W7 professional,
64 bit). I'm using the reserve PC to feel my way. Two things I've
noticed so far - upgrading to W10 managed to lose all the usenet
messages in my various folders in Agent. It's not a big problem, as I
can probably copy them all over from this PC, but it would have been
nice if they hadn't disappeared.

What folder does Agent use to store messages?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 28 Nov 2019 11:57:13 +0000, Chris Hogg wrote:

I _think_ it's C:/users/myname/appdata/roaming/forte/agent. I should
actually have a look there on my reserve PC (the one I've just updated
to W10), as the messages might all be there but Agent just might not
picking them up.

Agent looks for the database with the messages in the directory in which it
starts in. Here it's the "start in" directory in the shortcut to agent; it also
picks up the settings from Agent.ini in that directory.

Thomas Prufer