Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Things they don't tell you about hole saw arbors #23

Having bought a hole saw and arbor from Screwfix and put them together in
what I think is the correct configuration I was frustrated by the fact
that the pilot drill was barely longer than the depth of the hole saw
which made it very difficult to align it with the mark for the centre of
the hole.

I located a screw on the side of the arbor and removed the drill to check
the size and look for a longer one.

Turns out that the drill had 3 little notches in the shaft to allow pre-
setting different drill lengths.

Who knew?

Still a bit of a fiddle to make sure the grub screw located properly in
one of the three notches, but at least a variable length pilot drill.

Cheers

Dave R

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/11/2019 14:30, David wrote:
Having bought a hole saw and arbor from Screwfix and put them together in
what I think is the correct configuration I was frustrated by the fact
that the pilot drill was barely longer than the depth of the hole saw
which made it very difficult to align it with the mark for the centre of
the hole.

I located a screw on the side of the arbor and removed the drill to check
the size and look for a longer one.

Turns out that the drill had 3 little notches in the shaft to allow pre-
setting different drill lengths.

Who knew?

Still a bit of a fiddle to make sure the grub screw located properly in
one of the three notches, but at least a variable length pilot drill.

Not all of them have the notches... you can also substitute the supplied
drill for a longer one if it helps. (I also realised you can stick a
long drill in it, and leave a bit poking out of the back, so you can
grab it with the chuck. Handy when the shank on the arbour is 12mm and
you want to use it in a drill with a 10mm chuck).

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John
Rumm writes
[...]

I want a hole saw manufacturer to design a tool that doesn't require
considerable effort to extract the waste!

How about putting holes in the top so you could use a punch rather than
fiddling around with various screwdrivers.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/11/2019 14:30, David wrote:
Having bought a hole saw and arbor from Screwfix and put them together in
what I think is the correct configuration I was frustrated by the fact
that the pilot drill was barely longer than the depth of the hole saw
which made it very difficult to align it with the mark for the centre of
the hole.

Don't try and drill on the mark with it. Use a separate drill or use the
arbor and pilot drill without the hole saw first - then you've got a
positive location for the pilot to locate in.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, November 11, 2019 at 9:07:25 PM UTC, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , John
Rumm writes
[...]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlM3Ywu-6WA

Go to 1.16 to see tyhe feature you desire. Works good. We have one

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, November 12, 2019 at 10:26:23 AM UTC, wrote:
[...]

CMT sold by Scott and Sergeant
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I recently had to holesaw some awkwardly placed holes in trunking, like Steve I drilled all the pilot holes with a normal 6mm drill first then all the pilot drill had to do was locate in the pre-drilled hole. Alternatively in material where the pilot drill may wander or drill an off centre hole, make a template, secure it in position and drill without the pilot drill. Worked for me when I had to match the entry points on a CU with holes in the trunking. Also worked for me when core drilling for some conduit and I did not have a long enough pilot drill.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
Tricky Dicky writes
I recently had to holesaw some awkwardly placed holes in trunking, like
Steve I drilled all the pilot holes with a normal 6mm drill first then
all the pilot drill had to do was locate in the pre-drilled hole.
Alternatively in material where the pilot drill may wander or drill an
off centre hole, make a template, secure it in position and drill
without the pilot drill. Worked for me when I had to match the entry
points on a CU with holes in the trunking. Also worked for me when core
drilling for some conduit and I did not have a long enough pilot drill.

I've done this using core drills too small for a guide drill.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
writes
[...]

Now why didn't you tell me that before I bought the set I use:-)

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 12/11/2019 12:20, Tricky Dicky wrote:
I recently had to holesaw some awkwardly placed holes in trunking, like Steve I drilled all the pilot holes with a normal 6mm drill first then all the pilot drill had to do was locate in the pre-drilled hole. Alternatively in material where the pilot drill may wander or drill an off centre hole, make a template, secure it in position and drill without the pilot drill.

Worked for me when I had to match the entry points on a CU with holes in
the trunking.

Was it you that came down in conduit from trunking up at ceiling height
to the knockouts?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes Adam, I used conduit couplers with brass bushes to connect to trunking from the CU.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 12/11/2019 20:33, Tricky Dicky wrote:
Yes Adam, I used conduit couplers with brass bushes to connect to trunking from the CU.

I don't forget everything I read then:-)

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
[...]

Great hole saw, **** house video, appalling background noise.

Go to 1.16 to see tyhe feature you desire. Works good. We have one

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!

On Wed, 13 Nov 2019 07:57:46 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Great hole saw, **** house video, appalling background noise.

Big hole in your head, one sick ****head and an appalling background noise
....that's what you are all about, senile ****head!

--
FredXX to Rot Speed:
"You are still an idiot and an embarrassment to your country. No wonder