Old November 10th 19, 03:14 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Gas boiler servicing is not diy

Working on gas boilers and gas appliances is not DIY... Taking off the case to
an appliance means you have to undertake statutory checks to ensure the
appliance works correctly and safely. I have been in the industry for forty
three years and have seen some absolutely leathial fiddling by the don't want
to pay for it idiots. Its not funny when you turn up with the police to find
someone dead. Leave all gas work to fully professionals

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...y-1392665-.htm

Old November 10th 19, 03:17 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/11/2019 14:14, Willy die wrote:
Working on gas boilers and gas appliances is not DIY... Taking off the
case to
an appliance means you have to undertake statutory checks to ensure the
appliance works correctly and safely. I have been in the industry for forty
three years and have seen some absolutely leathial fiddling by the don't
want
to pay for it idiots. Its not funny when you turn up with the police to
find someone dead. Leave all gas work to fully professionals

Like the idiots that made my Ideal Standard boiler with a leak in
the pipe to the burner.

--
Michael Chare
Old November 10th 19, 03:46 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Willy die wrote on 10/11/2019 :
Working on gas boilers and gas appliances is not DIY... Taking off the case
an appliance means you have to undertake statutory checks to ensure the
appliance works correctly and safely.

What like the British Gas engineer who installed a water heater for my
parents, where he left the supply pipe spewing out gas into there home
due to his total incompetence?
Old November 10th 19, 04:36 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 10 Nov 2019 14:14:01 +0000, Willy die wrote:

Working on gas boilers and gas appliances is not DIY... Taking off the
case to an appliance means you have to undertake statutory checks to
ensure the appliance works correctly and safely. I have been in the
industry for forty three years and have seen some absolutely leathial
fiddling by the don't want to pay for it idiots. Its not funny when you
turn up with the police to find someone dead. Leave all gas work to
fully professionals

Like the BG professionals who destroyed my boiler?

Old November 10th 19, 06:36 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Willy die m wrote:

..... another attention seeking troll...

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Old November 10th 19, 08:29 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

But at least he was probably insured... grin.

Seriously, one of the reasons I have no gas is/was the incompetence of
people who are supposed to know about them.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
Harry Bloomfield; "Esq." wrote in
message ...

Old November 10th 19, 10:01 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Willy die m wrote:

Working on gas boilers and gas appliances is not DIY... Taking off the case to
an appliance means you have to undertake statutory checks to ensure the
appliance works correctly and safely. I have been in the industry for forty
three years and have seen some absolutely leathial fiddling by the don't want
to pay for it idiots. Its not funny when you turn up with the police to find
someone dead. Leave all gas work to fully professionals

The essential qualification is competence. Amateurs do not have a
monopoly on incompetence or carelessness.

--

Roger Hayter
Old November 10th 19, 10:36 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 10 Nov 2019 21:01:20 +0000, (Roger Hayter)
wrote:

Willy die m wrote:

Working on gas boilers and gas appliances is not DIY... Taking off the case to
an appliance means you have to undertake statutory checks to ensure the
appliance works correctly and safely. I have been in the industry for forty
three years and have seen some absolutely leathial fiddling by the don't want
to pay for it idiots. Its not funny when you turn up with the police to find
someone dead. Leave all gas work to fully professionals

The essential qualification is competence.

Wasn't that the original requirement for working on (your own
especially / specifically) gas / electric, you just had to be a
'competent person'?

Amateurs do not have a
monopoly on incompetence or carelessness.

Quite. ;-)

When I was IT training there was talk of some delegates getting their
certificates but with little in the way of real world experience being
called 'Paper Technicians / engineers'.

Now of course that's a Catch22 as many couldn't get that experience
without qualifications so they had to start somewhere, especially if
moving across from a different field ... and I dealt with secretaries,
managers, general tradesmen and even a girl who was previously running
the tea trolley. ;-)

ITRW, some (often bigger) employers would still often take on a 'Paper
Technician' because they could often get them cheap(er) and could
train them up to actually do the work their way.

A mate who has run his own garage for over 40 years normally looks
after our cars that I can't (time, space, difficulty, equipment etc)
and he recently had to farm out a clutch job on our Meriva because
(without the heavy lifting gear), it was a multi-man job and he is but
one.

I rarely have any issues with his work (over 30+ years now) but the
clutch job came back with a spanner left under the bonnet, some cable
ties just laying around and a lose engine steady. I wasn't rushing
them or anything so maybe they all assumed the other people were doing
the finishing up (possibly an advantage of working on your own as you
have to double check everything and the buck stops with you)?

Cheers, T i m

Old November 10th 19, 11:42 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/11/2019 18:43, Terry Casey wrote:
In article ,
says...

Willy die wrote on 10/11/2019 :
Working on gas boilers and gas appliances is not DIY... Taking off the case
an appliance means you have to undertake statutory checks to ensure the
appliance works correctly and safely.

What like the British Gas engineer who installed a water heater for my
parents, where he left the supply pipe spewing out gas into there home
due to his total incompetence?

When my daughter moved into her new flat and had the gas
inspection she was told that the hob had a flexible connection
whiich is a fail.

That assumes that the the manufacturer has not stated that a flexible
hose is suitable - in which case it *IS* acceptable.

However, the previous inspectors had passed it every year for
the past 10 years?

So, who were these cowboys? British Gas, of course!

My parents had their fire in the living room and the boiler isolated and
condemned as not conforming to requirements. Funnily enough, it was
rapidly reversed and the prohibitions removed, when they pointed out
that they had installed it 20 years earlier and as a self-installed
system, the gas board had inspected and tested it at the time and signed
of on it!

The only reason anyone was looking was that reported a gas leak, which
the gas board could not find and denied the existence of, despite
multiple visits. We found it ourselves, with soap and water ... in their
connection between the regulator and the meter!

SteveW