Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Welder MIG to TIG

I have a modern Mig welder which came with a stick option both with a
standard euro connection to the machine which is also selectable + or _
Ground/torch.

Do any of you know if I can plug a TIG torch with standard euro
connection into this, and where to buy a sensibly priced one?

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 04 Nov 2019 16:28:22 +0000, Muddymike wrote:

I have a modern Mig welder which came with a stick option both with a
standard euro connection to the machine which is also selectable + or _
Ground/torch.

Do any of you know if I can plug a TIG torch with standard euro
connection into this, and where to buy a sensibly priced one?

Mike

It won't start I'm afraid. TIGs require a high frequency at high voltage
to initiate and their plasma-ion'flame' IIRC. MIGs don't have that
facility.

--
Leave first - THEN negotiate!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Muddymike Wrote in message:
I have a modern Mig welder which came with a stick option both with a
standard euro connection to the machine which is also selectable + or _
Ground/torch.

Do any of you know if I can plug a TIG torch with standard euro
connection into this, and where to buy a sensibly priced one?

Mike

What do you want to weld?
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/11/2019 16:33, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Mon, 04 Nov 2019 16:28:22 +0000, Muddymike wrote:

I have a modern Mig welder which came with a stick option both with a
standard euro connection to the machine which is also selectable + or _
Ground/torch.

Do any of you know if I can plug a TIG torch with standard euro
connection into this, and where to buy a sensibly priced one?

Mike

It won't start I'm afraid. TIGs require a high frequency at high voltage
to initiate and their plasma-ion'flame' IIRC. MIGs don't have that
facility.

I understand your point but have seen "scratch start" TIG machines for

sale which I assumed is what I would get by attaching a TIG torch to my
MIG.

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/11/2019 16:30, Jimk wrote:
Muddymike Wrote in message:
I have a modern Mig welder which came with a stick option both with a
standard euro connection to the machine which is also selectable + or _
Ground/torch.

Do any of you know if I can plug a TIG torch with standard euro
connection into this, and where to buy a sensibly priced one?

Mike

What do you want to weld?

Thin mild steel.

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Muddymike" wrote in message
I have a modern Mig welder which came with a stick option both with a
standard euro connection to the machine which is also selectable + or _
Ground/torch.

Do any of you know if I can plug a TIG torch with standard euro connection
into this, and where to buy a sensibly priced one?

Mike

if you have a switchable + - earth probably will work
but scratch start is horrible to use
torch
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WP-Tig-To...g/123792899657

why do you want to use TIG anyway

-

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/11/2019 16:33, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Mon, 04 Nov 2019 16:28:22 +0000, Muddymike wrote:

I have a modern Mig welder which came with a stick option both with a
standard euro connection to the machine which is also selectable + or _
Ground/torch.

Do any of you know if I can plug a TIG torch with standard euro
connection into this, and where to buy a sensibly priced one?

Mike

It won't start I'm afraid. TIGs require a high frequency at high voltage
to initiate and their plasma-ion'flame' IIRC. MIGs don't have that
facility.

They don't require HF start - although its a nice to have. Without it
you have what they call "scratch start", where you strike the ark by
lightly dragging the tungsten across the either the work (or better) a
bit of scrap "lead in" stock.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/11/2019 16:28, Muddymike wrote:
I have a modern Mig welder which came with a stick option both with a
standard euro connection to the machine which is also selectable + or _
Ground/torch.

Do any of you know if I can plug a TIG torch with standard euro
connection into this, and where to buy a sensibly priced one?

Yup you can, although you will need a TIG torch with built in valve to
allow control of gas. Also you won't get any luxuries like foot pedal
control of the current. You will also need to scratch start since you
won't have HF start, and lastly no AC so you won't be able to TIG ali.
You may also find sustaining a good arc is harder since some mig
machines may have a lower open circuit voltage than would be ideal for
TIG work.

ISTR this old tony did a demo of running TIG on a (very cheap) stick
welding inverter.

Yup, see he

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--1lSmtuyUg

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 04 Nov 2019 16:51:30 +0000, Muddymike wrote:

_
Ground/torch.

Do any of you know if I can plug a TIG torch with standard euro
connection into this, and where to buy a sensibly priced one?

Mike

What do you want to weld?

Thin mild steel.

Why not just use the MIG, then?

--
Leave first - THEN negotiate!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/11/2019 18:08, John Rumm wrote:
[...]

Now that was useful.

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/11/2019 18:03, John Rumm wrote:
where you strike the ark by lightly dragging the tungsten across the
either the work (or better) a bit of scrap "lead in" stock.

Also need to lead out of the work unless the gas valve has a dwell after
you break the arc.

AJH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cursitor Doom wrote:

Muddymike wrote:

Do any of you know if I can plug a TIG torch with standard euro
connection into this, and where to buy a sensibly priced one?

It won't start I'm afraid.

Scratch start (jump to about 15 minutes for the TIG part)

https://youtu.be/--1lSmtuyUg
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Yes I was going to suggest a stick inverter, like the one I picked up
from Lidl for IIRC around £70.

Everlast PowerMTS 251si PULSE MIG & TIG Multiprocess Welder Review jon_banquer[_2_] Metalworking 1 July 31st 15 01:49 AM
tig torch/tig welder dan Metalworking 3 September 4th 09 11:36 PM
must sell Miller TIG Welder - Dynasty 200 DX AC/DC TIG/Stick [email protected] Metalworking 3 September 30th 08 08:41 PM
Experiences with the Parker Metalworking Plasma-Tec40/160yk plasma cutter/TIG welder/arc welder? Malcolm Metalworking 1 March 10th 06 01:19 PM
Daytona Mig Pocket Pulse TIG welder opinions? Emmo Metalworking 1 December 6th 04 05:41 AM