Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dan dan is offline

Default tig torch/tig welder

I'm planing to by a tig welder soon, and have been looking at the
Miller dynasty 200dx. It doesn't come with any cables, torches or
foot pedal.
They do have a contractors kit that has all those, but the tig torch
that comes in the kit isn't listed on their web site.

I can buy all the parts separate, but I'm not sure what kind of torch
to get. What should I look for in a tig torch? I think I can get by
for now with an air cooled one, as I will be using it for thinner
things at first.

How are tig torches connected up to the power supply? Is there a
separate gas hose, or is it all built into the connector?

Any recommendations?

Thanks.
--

Dan H.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

dan wrote:
I'm planing to by a tig welder soon, and have been looking at the
Miller dynasty 200dx. It doesn't come with any cables, torches or
foot pedal.
They do have a contractors kit that has all those, but the tig torch
that comes in the kit isn't listed on their web site.

I can buy all the parts separate, but I'm not sure what kind of torch
to get. What should I look for in a tig torch? I think I can get by
for now with an air cooled one, as I will be using it for thinner
things at first.

How are tig torches connected up to the power supply?

Usually a twist lock connector. Water cooled torches have two
connectors for incoming / outgoing water.

Is there a
separate gas hose, or is it all built into the connector?

It's separate, but bundled with the electrical cable so that it's
almost 'built in'.

Any recommendations?

Yup.

Log to:
sci.engr.joining.welding
Those guys are professionals and will be happy to answer
questions and provide solid recommendations.

I use a CK flex head with super flex cables. It is really nice.
http://www.ckworldwide.com/standard.htm

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-09-04, dan wrote:
I'm planing to by a tig welder soon, and have been looking at the
Miller dynasty 200dx. It doesn't come with any cables, torches or
foot pedal.
They do have a contractors kit that has all those, but the tig torch
that comes in the kit isn't listed on their web site.

I can buy all the parts separate, but I'm not sure what kind of torch
to get. What should I look for in a tig torch? I think I can get by
for now with an air cooled one, as I will be using it for thinner
things at first.

Usually people buy a WP-20 style torch, available from numerous places
for a little over $100. It is water cooled however, but much more
convenient due to its lighter weight. You would need to shell out $$$
for the water cooler.

How are tig torches connected up to the power supply? Is there a
separate gas hose, or is it all built into the connector?

IIRC the gas hose is separate, but water runs through the 45V11
connector that is also electrically energized.

If you buy your Dynasty at a welding supplier, they wil explain
everything.

Any recommendations?

Water cooled torch would be my suggestion. If you are spending this
kind of money on a Dynasty, you might as well get the full benefit of
this welder.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus7829" wrote in message
On 2009-09-04, dan wrote:
[...]

You can cool a torch with a continuous trickle from you water supply, and
just send it to drain. I did it for many years. The only hazard is freezing
conditions. You will usually burn up the torch before you realize you are
getting hot.

21 LED torch The Medway Handyman UK diy 12 July 13th 07 12:29 AM
Propane torch? clifto Home Repair 16 March 21st 07 07:31 AM
Blow torch, propane torch mm Home Repair 39 March 31st 06 02:15 AM
Experiences with the Parker Metalworking Plasma-Tec40/160yk plasma cutter/TIG welder/arc welder? Malcolm Metalworking 1 March 10th 06 01:19 PM
Rothenberger Torch? [email protected] Metalworking 4 January 29th 06 03:52 AM