Posted to uk.d-i-y
jkn jkn is offline

Default Guidance sought re properly arranging mounting of CH controller.

Hi All
I had to replace a seemingly-failing CH controller over the weekend (Sunvic
Sunpro 2000 replaced with a Drayton 722). This reminded me that there is a
roundtuit that I need to sort out - the proper arrangement of cabling around all
of this.

A picture would probably be worth a thousand words, but in the absence of that,
I have the following:

1) The mains input to the controller. This is 1.5mm T+E, surface mounted ;-o
2) a mains input to the ('emergency') immersion heater. This is 2.5mm T+E,
under the plaster and coming into a double back box
3) a proper immersion heater switch which allows the cable to come out from the
surface corner
4) the flex to the immersion heater, which comes out from the switch 'properly'
5) the flex to the CH pump (I have a 'zone C') system ;-o.
6) The controller itself backplate, which is currently rawlplugged into the
plaster surface

It is how to 'properly' manage (1), (5), and (6) which I am wondering about.

- how to get the surface-mounting (1) to neatly be wired into the backplate?
I don't want to change things too much. I don't mind perhaps hiding the
T&E in some plastic conduit, then sinking the last few inches into a backbox. But then:
- how is one supposed to get the flex to the pump out neatly/correctly from
behind the backplate? I know about blank plates with one cable outlet - but
*two*?

I can't help thinking that I am missing a page in the catalogues with just the
right wiring accessories for my needs. Any pointers, or links to photos to show
how it might/should be done?

Thanks a lot
J^n

Posted to uk.d-i-y
jkn jkn is offline

On Monday, November 4, 2019 at 3:58:16 PM UTC, jkn wrote:
[...]

Update: I have found this pictu

https://i0.wp.com/www.automatedhome....ton-2-0607.jpg

Which confirms part of what I thought - everything is supposed to come from
behind the backplate. But: how are the two flex cables then supposed to be
neatly led to the surface? I can't find a '1-gang 2-way flex outlet' anywhere...

J^n

Posted to uk.d-i-y

jkn wrote:

[...]

https://i0.wp.com/www.automatedhome.co.uk/wp-content
/uploads/2017/10/Drayt
on-2-0607.jpg

Which confirms part of what I thought - everything is supposed to come
from behind the backplate. But: how are the two flex cables then supposed
to be neatly led to the surface? I can't find a '1-gang 2-way flex outlet'
anywhere...

J^n

You could possibly get two 0.75mm flexes out of one outlet,[1] but I'd
just use two outlet plates. You can get backboxes to mount two singles
side by side if they actually want to be next to each other.

[1] Using Wago or similar for one of the sets of connections.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Hayter wrote:

jkn wrote:

[...]

But of course that's not applicable if one is direct to the immersion
heater rather than a relay.