Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Arranging coals on kohlgas fire

Has anyone got a manual on coal layout for model K2N 7000

Thankyou

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...e-1244454-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/10/2017 12:44, Ange wrote:

Has anyone got a manual on coal layout for model K2N 7000

You have to arrange coals according to a _manual_? However did people
manage when coal fires were the norm?

(Mind you, arranging kindling is a different matter: I never did get the
hang of it. Even firelighters took ages.)

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Max Demian wrote:

Ange wrote:

Has anyone got a manual on coal layout for model K2N 7000

You have to arrange coals according to a _manual_?

Well it's a gas fire so the artificial coals probably *do* have a
specific layout ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/10/17 12:44, Ange wrote:
Has anyone got a manual on coal layout for model K2N 7000

Thankyou

01782 339000 and ask them

Its not listed as a current model

https://www.kohlangazfires.co.uk/

"What kind of person is not interested in those things?"

"Jeremy Corbyn?"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ange wrote:
Has anyone got a manual on coal layout for model K2N 7000

Thankyou

Play with it until it looks bearable. Normally the coals are on top of
a vermiculite layer which spreads the gas evenly The coals just glow a
bit edged by a few flames. We built our own many years ago and it still
works in spite of her rearraging the bits yearly!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
Max Demian wrote:

Ange wrote:

Has anyone got a manual on coal layout for model K2N 7000

You have to arrange coals according to a _manual_?

Well it's a gas fire so the artificial coals probably *do* have a
specific layout ...

Hmm, I can just see the fitter carefully consulting the installation manual
for the placement of every coal. Or rather, I cant.

I think you just need a bit of trial and error to get a reasonably even
distribution of heat and flame.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ wrote:

Hmm, I can just see the fitter carefully consulting the installation manual
for the placement of every coal. Or rather, I cant.

I think you just need a bit of trial and error to get a reasonably even
distribution of heat and flame.

I've never owned a "living flame" type gas fire, but seem to remember
seeing two different types, those where each coal is an individual
piece, and probably you can arrange them as you see fit, within reason.
The other type has the coals in pre-formed clumps and have one way where
they fit together like a 3D jigsaw.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Sounds a bit like those intelligence tests we all had to do when we were
young about fitting shapes into holes.
I'm never sure what to think about these gas coal fires. What is the point
in making a gas fire look like a coal fire, it surely is not going to be
very efficient if its been designed for its visuals not its heat output.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Max Demian wrote:

Ange wrote:

Has anyone got a manual on coal layout for model K2N 7000

You have to arrange coals according to a _manual_?

Well it's a gas fire so the artificial coals probably *do* have a specific
layout ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/10/17 18:23, Brian Gaff wrote:
Sounds a bit like those intelligence tests we all had to do when we were
young about fitting shapes into holes.
I'm never sure what to think about these gas coal fires. What is the point
in making a gas fire look like a coal fire, it surely is not going to be
very efficient if its been designed for its visuals not its heat output.
Brian

They are very inefficient but the 'comfort factor' of a 'real fire',
without the hassle of coal/wood etc can't be denied.

We've considered one of those enclosed gas fires, essentially the same
beast but they have a 'box' and vents to recover some of the wasted heat
which normally just 'warms the chimney'. However, while they look
(quite) nice etc, in economic terms (ie money saved in gas used due to
less heat being wasted), I suspect it would take a long time to justify
it with our usage pattern.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Reay wrote:

On 21/10/17 18:23, Brian Gaff wrote:

I'm never sure what to think about these gas coal fires. What is the point
in making a gas fire look like a coal fire, it surely is not going to be
very efficient if its been designed for its visuals not its heat output.

They are very inefficient but the 'comfort factor' of a 'real fire',
without the hassle of coal/wood etc can't be denied.

Many years ago, at another's insistence (against my strong
advice) I had an open hearth coal-effect gas fire fitted, and
I'm convinced that the net effect was to cool the room as it drew
in so much cold air. I was glad to leave it behind.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 30 Oct 2017 10:05:32 +0000, Chris J Dixon wrote:

Brian Reay wrote:

On 21/10/17 18:23, Brian Gaff wrote:

I'm never sure what to think about these gas coal fires. What is the
point
in making a gas fire look like a coal fire, it surely is not going to
be very efficient if its been designed for its visuals not its heat
output.

They are very inefficient but the 'comfort factor' of a 'real fire',
without the hassle of coal/wood etc can't be denied.

Many years ago, at another's insistence (against my strong advice) I had
an open hearth coal-effect gas fire fitted, and I'm convinced that the
net effect was to cool the room as it drew in so much cold air. I was
glad to leave it behind.

You can get new kohl at Boots. I hear the No. 7 range is good.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/10/2017 10:05, Chris J Dixon wrote:
Brian Reay wrote:
On 21/10/17 18:23, Brian Gaff wrote:

I'm never sure what to think about these gas coal fires. What is the point
in making a gas fire look like a coal fire, it surely is not going to be
very efficient if its been designed for its visuals not its heat output.

They are very inefficient but the 'comfort factor' of a 'real fire',
without the hassle of coal/wood etc can't be denied.

Many years ago, at another's insistence (against my strong
advice) I had an open hearth coal-effect gas fire fitted, and
I'm convinced that the net effect was to cool the room as it drew
in so much cold air. I was glad to leave it behind.

I was in a place with a gas fire like that. There was a rather large gap
under the door, and the more you turned the fire up the more cold air
was drawn in.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Reay wrote:
On 21/10/17 18:23, Brian Gaff wrote:

I'm never sure what to think about these gas coal fires. What is the point
in making a gas fire look like a coal fire, it surely is not going to be
very efficient if its been designed for its visuals not its heat output.

They are very inefficient but the 'comfort factor' of a 'real fire',
without the hassle of coal/wood etc can't be denied.

Many years ago, at another's insistence (against my strong
advice) I had an open hearth coal-effect gas fire fitted, and
I'm convinced that the net effect was to cool the room as it drew
in so much cold air. I was glad to leave it behind.

I was in a place with a gas fire like that. There was a rather large gap
under the door, and the more you turned the fire up the more cold air
was drawn in.

I always thought the open fireplace in the sitting room in our last house
actually cooled the house down, for the same reason. It sure consumed a
****-load of wood (which fortunately I got for nothing at the time). I
didn't want to install a log burner because it would have meant tearing
out the very attractive stone fire place, although now we live in a house
that *does* have a log burner, I wish we had. Oh, well, too late now!!

It's not a problem with under fire air inflow.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Reay wrote:
On 21/10/17 18:23, Brian Gaff wrote:

Â*Â*Â* I'm never sure what to think about these gas coal fires. What
is the point
in making a gas fire look like a coal fire, it surely is not going
to be
very efficient if its been designed for its visuals not its heat
output.

They are very inefficient but the 'comfort factor' of a 'real fire',
without the hassle of coal/wood etc can't be denied.

Many years ago, at another's insistence (against my strong
advice) I hadÂ* an open hearth coal-effect gas fire fitted, and
I'm convinced that the net effect was to cool the room as it drew
in so much cold air. I was glad to leave it behind.

I was in a place with a gas fire like that. There was a rather large gap
under the door, and the more you turned the fire up the more cold air
was drawn in.

I always thought the open fireplace in the sitting room in our last house
actually cooled the house down, for the same reason. It sure consumed a
****-load of wood (which fortunately I got for nothing at the time). I
didn't want to install a log burner because it would have meant tearing
out the very attractive stone fire place, although now we live in a house
that *does* have a log burner, I wish we had. Oh, well, too late now!!

Â*Â*Â*Â*It's not a problem with under fire air inflow.

There can be an 'issue' with air flow- gas fires require a specified
flow of air (I can't recall the numbers). In our old house, we had
'vents' which were placed to ensure the flow didn't pass anywhere you
would (normally) sit. We have the same in the current house. In older
houses the air flow requirement can sometimes be met without vents, it
is only when people have double glazing, draught-proofing etc that the
vents are really needed.

I was told that some 'old' (Victorian?) fireplaces had vents
incorporated into the hearth surround which 'drew' air from under the
floor. Unless you placed your hand (etc) between the hearth surround and
the fire itself, you wouldn't feel the cold air.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Huge wrote:

I always thought the open fireplace in the sitting room in our last house
actually cooled the house down, for the same reason. It sure consumed a
****-load of wood (which fortunately I got for nothing at the time). I
didn't want to install a log burner because it would have meant tearing
out the very attractive stone fire place, although now we live in a house
that *does* have a log burner, I wish we had. Oh, well, too late now!!

Â*Â*Â*Â*It's not a problem with under fire air inflow.

+1

--
Renewable energy: Expensive solutions that don't work to a problem that
doesn't exist instituted by self legalising protection rackets that

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Reay wrote:
[...]

Our previous house built 1963 had an under fire air supply from
outside. Our present house has the same provision, installed by me.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Reay wrote:

I was told that some 'old' (Victorian?) fireplaces had vents
incorporated into the hearth surround which 'drew' air from under the
floor. Unless you placed your hand (etc) between the hearth surround and
the fire itself, you wouldn't feel the cold air.

My dad installed a pair of what I recall were sold as Televents -
plastic vent tubes let into the suspended floor either side of
the fireplace - which you pulled up when the fire was lit. Rather
like a periscope.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/10/2017 08:28, Chris J Dixon wrote:
Brian Reay wrote:

I was told that some 'old' (Victorian?) fireplaces had vents
incorporated into the hearth surround which 'drew' air from under the
floor. Unless you placed your hand (etc) between the hearth surround and
the fire itself, you wouldn't feel the cold air.

My dad installed a pair of what I recall were sold as Televents -
plastic vent tubes let into the suspended floor either side of
the fireplace - which you pulled up when the fire was lit. Rather
like a periscope.

Chris

I suspect they wouldn't comply with the current rules for (some?) gas
fires as they could be left closed/down.

Obviously the rules were not always as they are now so I'm not critising
your father.

We have a vent and were told we didn't require one by one Corgi man who
checked the gas installation, while another specifically wanted to check
for one. It is possible the rules changed between the two checks (there
are part of our annual CH service contract check).

are depriving those in real need!

https://www.gov.uk/report-benefit-fraud
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Reay wrote:

I was told that some 'old' (Victorian?) fireplaces had vents
incorporated into the hearth surround which 'drew' air from under the
floor. Unless you placed your hand (etc) between the hearth surround and
the fire itself, you wouldn't feel the cold air.

My dad installed a pair of what I recall were sold as Televents -
plastic vent tubes let into the suspended floor either side of
the fireplace - which you pulled up when the fire was lit. Rather
like a periscope.

I suspect they wouldn't comply with the current rules for (some?) gas
fires as they could be left closed/down.

Sorry, I didn't make it clear, it was so long ago (1950s) that it
was a real coal fire in a Victorian fireplace.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.

where to buy electric fire coals and LED effect [email protected] UK diy 3 January 7th 15 11:44 PM
Arranging CH pipes and auto-air bleeding Tim Watts UK diy 8 March 9th 11 04:25 PM
Re-arranging guttering above conservatory ? robgraham UK diy 0 June 2nd 09 10:58 PM
Gas Fire - open coals ( John UK diy 6 July 3rd 08 04:24 PM
my gas fire has 'cotton wool' like stuff under the coals - is this OK ? [email protected] UK diy 5 October 28th 07 12:53 AM