Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fixing curtain pole track pulling from wall

I've been tasked by swmbo with fixing a couple of curtain tracks that are pulling from the wall. One is a standard white curtain rail fixed in multiple points, the other is a pole with only two fixings, one at each end.

Both are pulling from a brick wall which is plastered over, and neither fixing can take a larger screw.

How can I successfully repair the holes such that I can use the same sized screws in holes which are strong enough not to pull out again?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , larkim
wrote:
I've been tasked by swmbo with fixing a couple of curtain tracks that are
pulling from the wall. One is a standard white curtain rail fixed in
multiple points, the other is a pole with only two fixings, one at each
end.

Both are pulling from a brick wall which is plastered over, and neither
fixing can take a larger screw.

How can I successfully repair the holes such that I can use the same
sized screws in holes which are strong enough not to pull out again?

Use longer screw and plugs that actually go into the brickwork. same guage
screws, but longer.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/11/2019 09:40, larkim wrote:
I've been tasked by swmbo with fixing a couple of curtain tracks that
are pulling from the wall. One is a standard white curtain rail fixed
in multiple points, the other is a pole with only two fixings, one at
each end.

Both are pulling from a brick wall which is plastered over, and
neither fixing can take a larger screw.

How can I successfully repair the holes such that I can use the same
sized screws in holes which are strong enough not to pull out again?

car body filler after raking out the loose stuff. Do not use rawlplugs:
the body filler is drillable and screwable. And paintable. For perfect
repair leave the body filler a little below the surface then skim over.

--
The New Left are the people they warned you about.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, November 3, 2019 at 10:07:28 AM UTC, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 03/11/2019 09:40, larkim wrote:
I've been tasked by swmbo with fixing a couple of curtain tracks that
are pulling from the wall. One is a standard white curtain rail fixed
in multiple points, the other is a pole with only two fixings, one at
each end.

Both are pulling from a brick wall which is plastered over, and
neither fixing can take a larger screw.

How can I successfully repair the holes such that I can use the same
sized screws in holes which are strong enough not to pull out again?

car body filler after raking out the loose stuff. Do not use rawlplugs:
the body filler is drillable and screwable. And paintable. For perfect
repair leave the body filler a little below the surface then skim over.

--
The New Left are the people they warned you about.

10mm dowel, hammer drill, and use the dowel as a rawl plug. or buy bigger screws. All my internal walls are block and these are the two methods I now use. Car body filler would probably pull out of my walls, maybe not with yours.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

larkim Wrote in message:
I've been tasked by swmbo with fixing a couple of curtain tracks that are pulling from the wall. One is a standard white curtain rail fixed in multiple points, the other is a pole with only two fixings, one at each end.

Both are pulling from a brick wall which is plastered over, and neither fixing can take a larger screw.

How can I successfully repair the holes such that I can use the same sized screws in holes which are strong enough not to pull out again?

Longer screws...
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/11/2019 09:57, Jimk wrote:
larkim Wrote in message:
I've been tasked by swmbo with fixing a couple of curtain tracks that are pulling from the wall. One is a standard white curtain rail fixed in multiple points, the other is a pole with only two fixings, one at each end.

Both are pulling from a brick wall which is plastered over, and neither fixing can take a larger screw.

How can I successfully repair the holes such that I can use the same sized screws in holes which are strong enough not to pull out again?

Longer screws...

For the pole maybe. For the conventional track, there could be a metal
lintel lurking behind the plaster somewhere.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/11/2019 10:13, misterroy wrote:
[...]

If your inner walls are white solar blocks, then you don't need to use
a hammer drill, or even conventional masonary drill bits. Ordinary
HSS drill bits without hammer action should give a nice clean hole.

Then use the correct type of plug for this type of block. Ordinary
tapered 'rawl' plugs aren't really suitable.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Then use polyester resin that will soak in first to stabilise it

Of course you have never actually TRIED car body filler, have you.
it's all handwavey armchair stuff, isnt it?

But Marxism is the crack cocaine.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 3 November 2019 09:40:21 UTC, larkim wrote:
I've been tasked by swmbo with fixing a couple of curtain tracks that are pulling from the wall. One is a standard white curtain rail fixed in multiple points, the other is a pole with only two fixings, one at each end.

Both are pulling from a brick wall which is plastered over, and neither fixing can take a larger screw.

How can I successfully repair the holes such that I can use the same sized screws in holes which are strong enough not to pull out again?

I use ordinary filler for that, works a treat. Polyfilla type stuff, not lightweight. Just needs a few days to dry out before refixing. You can either fill & redrill or push wallplugs in & let it set.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/11/2019 09:40, larkim wrote:
I've been tasked by swmbo with fixing a couple of curtain tracks that are pulling from the wall. One is a standard white curtain rail fixed in multiple points, the other is a pole with only two fixings, one at each end.

Both are pulling from a brick wall which is plastered over, and neither fixing can take a larger screw.

How can I successfully repair the holes such that I can use the same sized screws in holes which are strong enough not to pull out again?

Why is the screw pulling out? Is the plug also pulling out?
Is the hole for the wall plug too large for the plug?
Is the brick/plaster crumbling as you drill?
When originally fitting were the fully into the hole with the end flush
with the wall? If not you may have just been relying on the screw alone
to stop any movement rather than the curtain rail fixing being clamped
firmly to the wall to prevent some movement.

If the hole is marginally too large, and a clean hole with parallel
sides, then another type/brand of wall plug may fit tighter in the hole
and/or have thicker wall so that when the screw is inserted it grips the
side of the hole a lot tighter. I've found that the red type plugs that
are often supplied with the item are of very poor quality and I always
replace from my stock of Fischer branded grey nylon plugs. (I also have
some similar/identical ones that came from Aldi/Lidl at one time)

Again, if the hole is marginally too large then insert one or more
wooden cocktail sticks down the hole before banging in the plug,
trimming off excess wood from the stick afterwards. You can substitute
match sticks (cocktail sticks tend to be thinner and a harder wood)

If the hole is way too large and possiblly crumbling at the plaster
surface make the hole much larger, paint the inside of the hole with
50:50 PVA:water and allow to dry, apply a second layer of PVA/water and
while still damp completely fill the hole with filler. Make sure the
filler gets to the back of the hole by pushing it in with the back of
the drill bit. after it is dry re-drill the hole to the correct size for
the wall plug. Don't re-use the old wall plugs.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Of course you have never actually TRIED car body filler, have you.
it's all handwavey armchair stuff, isnt it?

Yep, unless you know what the actual construction is one solution will
not suit all conditions.

My 1905 property is plaster over brick but its not a modern plaster. In
places its very sandy and when drilling the edges of the hole just
crumble away. It's also very thick in places (2.5cm+) so relatively a
long way before hitting brick. A car body filler repair would just pull
out as the weakest point would be the old plaster to repair bond.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

That's our vintage too, though one rail is in a new extension.

Thanks for all the suggestions!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Andrew
wrote:
On 03/11/2019 09:57, Jimk wrote:
larkim Wrote in message:
I've been tasked by swmbo with fixing a couple of curtain tracks that
are pulling from the wall. One is a standard white curtain rail fixed
in multiple points, the other is a pole with only two fixings, one at
each end.

Both are pulling from a brick wall which is plastered over, and
neither fixing can take a larger screw.

How can I successfully repair the holes such that I can use the same
sized screws in holes which are strong enough not to pull out again?

Longer screws...

For the pole maybe. For the conventional track, there could be a metal
lintel lurking behind the plaster somewhere.

then use self-tappingb screws

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/11/2019 11:14, alan_m wrote:

Of course you have never actually TRIED car body filler, have you.
it's all handwavey armchair stuff, isnt it?

Yep, unless you know what the actual construction is one solution will
not suit all conditions.

My 1905 property is plaster over brick but its not a modern plaster. In
places its very sandy and when drilling the edges of the hole just
crumble away. It's also very thick in places (2.5cm+) so relatively a
long way before hitting brick.Â* A car body filler repair would just pull
out as the weakest point would be the old plaster to repair bond.

So you havent tried it have you?

--
When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over
the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that

Frédéric Bastiat
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/11/2019 11:14, alan_m wrote:

Of course you have never actually TRIED car body filler, have you.
it's all handwavey armchair stuff, isnt it?

Yep, unless you know what the actual construction is one solution will
not suit all conditions.

My 1905 property is plaster over brick but its not a modern plaster.
In places its very sandy and when drilling the edges of the hole just
crumble away. It's also very thick in places (2.5cm+) so relatively a
long way before hitting brick.Â* A car body filler repair would just
pull out as the weakest point would be the old plaster to repair bond.

So you havent tried it have you?

I'm a keen user, but I don't think it would have been any help in the
lime/horsehair plaster in my last victorian house, unless going back
deep into the stonework (on the front) or brickwork (middle and back). I
also had this on lath and plaster partitions and ceilings.

As earlier poster said, the optimum solution depends on the construction
and also the type of load to be supported. The soak-in polyester resin
is one of the best solutions when stabilisation is needed (but not
particularly cheap or easy).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/11/2019 11:01, alan_m wrote:
On 03/11/2019 09:40, larkim wrote:
I've been tasked by swmbo with fixing a couple of curtain tracks that
are pulling from the wall. One is a standard white curtain rail fixed
in multiple points, the other is a pole with only two fixings, one at
each end.

Both are pulling from a brick wall which is plastered over, and
neither fixing can take a larger screw.

How can I successfully repair the holes such that I can use the same
sized screws in holes which are strong enough not to pull out again?

Why is the screw pulling out? Is the plug also pulling out?
Is the hole for the wall plug too large for the plug?
Is the brick/plaster crumbling as you drill?
When originally fitting were the fully into the hole with the end flush
with the wall?Â* If not you may have just been relying on the screw alone
[...]

Good points. Also sounds as though the fixings might not be deep enough.
Curtains can need quite a lot of support (devil in the detail).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Also, it seems odd they are pulling from the wall, are the curtains
particularly heavy? Is there somebody in the household who yanks them
because they are sticking perhaps. This is easy to fix with some cleaning
and lubrication if its a properly designed rail.
Maybe you need rawl bolts, done right you can swing on those once they are
in.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Jimk" wrote in message
news
larkim Wrote in message:
I've been tasked by swmbo with fixing a couple of curtain tracks that are
pulling from the wall. One is a standard white curtain rail fixed in
multiple points, the other is a pole with only two fixings, one at each
end.

Both are pulling from a brick wall which is plastered over, and neither
fixing can take a larger screw.

How can I successfully repair the holes such that I can use the same
sized screws in holes which are strong enough not to pull out again?

Longer screws...
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 3 November 2019 20:46:02 UTC, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
Also, it seems odd they are pulling from the wall, are the curtains
particularly heavy? Is there somebody in the household who yanks them
because they are sticking perhaps. This is easy to fix with some cleaning
and lubrication if its a properly designed rail.
Maybe you need rawl bolts, done right you can swing on those once they are
in.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Jimk" wrote in message
news
larkim Wrote in message:
I've been tasked by swmbo with fixing a couple of curtain tracks that are
pulling from the wall. One is a standard white curtain rail fixed in
multiple points, the other is a pole with only two fixings, one at each
end.

Both are pulling from a brick wall which is plastered over, and neither
fixing can take a larger screw.

How can I successfully repair the holes such that I can use the same
sized screws in holes which are strong enough not to pull out again?

Longer screws...
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Just badly fitted by the previous occupants.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 3 November 2019 21:31:50 UTC, larkim wrote:
On Sunday, 3 November 2019 20:46:02 UTC, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:

Also, it seems odd they are pulling from the wall, are the curtains
particularly heavy? Is there somebody in the household who yanks them
because they are sticking perhaps. This is easy to fix with some cleaning
and lubrication if its a properly designed rail.
Maybe you need rawl bolts, done right you can swing on those once they are
in.
Brian

Just badly fitted by the previous occupants.

Screws too short & weak plaster are very common. Kids' horseplay doesn't help.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/11/2019 09:40, larkim wrote:
I've been tasked by swmbo with fixing a couple of curtain tracks that are pulling from the wall. One is a standard white curtain rail fixed in multiple points, the other is a pole with only two fixings, one at each end.

Both are pulling from a brick wall which is plastered over, and neither fixing can take a larger screw.

How can I successfully repair the holes such that I can use the same sized screws in holes which are strong enough not to pull out again?

I had the same problem with crumbly bricks and plaster.

Remove screws and plugs, blow hole out with a straw, pump hot melt
adhesive in from glue gun, push in new plugs with thumb while glue is
still molten, hold burnt thumb under cold tap for a minute or two and
re-fix screws.

Cheers
--
Clive
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/11/2019 12:08, charles wrote:
In article , Andrew
wrote:
On 03/11/2019 09:57, Jimk wrote:
larkim Wrote in message:
I've been tasked by swmbo with fixing a couple of curtain tracks that
are pulling from the wall. One is a standard white curtain rail fixed
in multiple points, the other is a pole with only two fixings, one at
each end.

Both are pulling from a brick wall which is plastered over, and
neither fixing can take a larger screw.

How can I successfully repair the holes such that I can use the same
sized screws in holes which are strong enough not to pull out again?

Longer screws...

For the pole maybe. For the conventional track, there could be a metal
lintel lurking behind the plaster somewhere.

then use self-tappingb screws

Bad idea to drill into a lintel, which is probably galvanized.
Depending on the contruction, you could well get some
interstitial condensation.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On 03/11/2019 09:57, Jimk wrote:
larkim Wrote in message:
I've been tasked by swmbo with fixing a couple of curtain tracks that
are pulling from the wall. One is a standard white curtain rail fixed
in multiple points, the other is a pole with only two fixings, one at
each end.

Both are pulling from a brick wall which is plastered over, and
neither fixing can take a larger screw.

How can I successfully repair the holes such that I can use the same
sized screws in holes which are strong enough not to pull out again?

Longer screws...

For the pole maybe. For the conventional track, there could be a metal
lintel lurking behind the plaster somewhere.

then use self-tappingb screws

Bad idea to drill into a lintel, which is probably galvanized.
Depending on the contruction, you could well get some
interstitial condensation.

Care to expand on both points?
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On 03/11/2019 09:57, Jimk wrote:
larkim Wrote in message:
I've been tasked by swmbo with fixing a couple of curtain tracks that
are pulling from the wall. One is a standard white curtain rail fixed
in multiple points, the other is a pole with only two fixings, one at
each end.

Both are pulling from a brick wall which is plastered over, and
neither fixing can take a larger screw.

How can I successfully repair the holes such that I can use the same
sized screws in holes which are strong enough not to pull out again?

Longer screws...

For the pole maybe. For the conventional track, there could be a metal
lintel lurking behind the plaster somewhere.

then use self-tappingb screws

Bad idea to drill into a lintel, which is probably galvanized.
Depending on the contruction, you could well get some
interstitial condensation.

Galvanising does not have to be continuous to work though. At the
extreme, ships have a few blocks of zinc attached to protect the whole
ship. It is a sacrificial anode, not a protective coating.

SteveW