Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Tiling

Well, related!

The corridor to our garden storage (brick garage cut off by extension)
includes an inspection manhole.

I have replaced the cast iron circular unsealed cover with a sealed
version topped with a square lift off cover having raised sides. This is
intended to be tiled to match the floor covering.

The lift off bit is strong galvanised steel with reinforcing
indentations which reduce the depth in places from 45mm to around 35mm.

The original plan was to continue the floor screed leaving around 12mm
for ceramic tiles. However, sand/cement screed 33mm thick or less on a
removable cover struck me as being a bit delicate.

I can probably find some reinforcing mesh to stiffen it up but has
anyone tried this sort of job?

I have some plastic *isolating* mesh unused from the wet room job but at
6mm or so thick worry that this will further reduce rigidity. Googling
found lots of tile cements which are OK up to 25mm thickness. Is that
the way to go?

Any thoughts?
--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/11/2019 20:46, Tim Lamb wrote:
Well, related!

The corridor to our garden storage (brick garage cut off by extension)
includes an inspection manhole.

I have replaced the cast iron circular unsealed cover with a sealed
version topped with a square lift off cover having raised sides. This is
intended to be tiled to match the floor covering.

The lift off bit is strong galvanised steel with reinforcing
indentations which reduce the depth in places from 45mm to around 35mm.

The original plan was to continue the floor screed leaving around 12mm
for ceramic tiles. However, sand/cement screed 33mm thick or less on a
removable cover struck me as being a bit delicate.

I can probably find some reinforcing mesh to stiffen it up but has
anyone tried this sort of job?

At 33mm I would be stringly tempted to forget the screed and simply use
a tile cement to make up the difference. Or screw some one inch poly on
top and tile that with a thick cement bed.

Almost any way to fill the gap EXCXEPT screed. Screed is mechanivcally
weak. It's ponly virtue is low cost. For a small area use something
else. Car body filler? :-)

I have some plastic *isolating* mesh unused from the wet room job but at
6mm or so thick worry that this will further reduce rigidity. Googling
found lots of tile cements which are OK up to 25mm thickness. Is that
the way to go?

Ive used up to 4" of tile cement! Ardurit rapid set. Not in one go
though. I used to dob the bits that were going off in the lowest places.
By the time I got to tile those bits it was all a bit motre near the
right height.

Any thoughts?

all women"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes
[...]

Perhaps an initial layer at 25mm plus some reinforcing mesh and tile on
top when it sets off.

I'm only 2 weeks into drying off the main screed and the tiles come from
Italy.
Delaying Brexit has benefits:-)

--
Tim Lamb

Tiling the floor... Rick Hughes UK diy 4 August 11th 03 11:47 PM
Tiling Question John UK diy 6 August 2nd 03 10:18 AM
Tiling Shower Area - adhesive spreading and tile cutting problems JohnB UK diy 7 July 20th 03 10:43 AM
Tiling in Bathroom The Question Asker UK diy 3 July 19th 03 12:01 AM
Tiling Guides -any recommendations ? John Schmitt UK diy 5 July 14th 03 08:47 AM