Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default School leavers writing

On Sat, 19 Oct 2019 19:47:28 +0100, Rod Speed wrote:

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
newsp.z9w5l9fkwdg98l@glass...
On Wed, 09 Oct 2019 14:01:56 +0100, whisky-dave
wrote:

On Wednesday, 9 October 2019 01:07:28 UTC+1, Commander Kinsey wrote:
Most people find it easiier to use a one particualr hand than the
other.

Bull****.

Nom it's a fact.

Becaseu that's the way they were taught!

No.
My mother was taught to use her right hand for writing, she had her
knuckles hit with a wooden rular at school, but she could still only
write with her left hand.

Check this out:
https://visual.ly/community/infograp...visually_embed
Note that 4 out of 5 Mac designers are left handers. That explains why
those "computers" are so weird!

They did get one thing right on Macs though, the dialog box. Let's say
you do something like delete a file. The box says something like "Are you
sure? Ok or cancel."
The key difference is Windows is the wrong way round, they put the
affirmative action on the left, claiming that since we read form the left,
we expect affirmative to be there. Bull****. Think of a car - which
pedal makes it go faster? The one on the right. Think of the volume
control on your stereo - turn to the right to increase. Right is always
more.

Plenty of times it isnt.

Most times right is more. There are other stupid things, like water and gas taps. That really annoys me - that you turn an electric cooker knob right to make it hotter, and a gas knob left. I guess that's historical, to do with tightening a screw.

Ok should be on the right, like on Macs.

What matters is what is selected by default, not which way round they are.

Bull****. I answer dialog boxes with a mouse, what's selected is irrelevant to me.

If I used the keyboard to answer them, I'd prefer neither of them to be selected. I'd want to press Y or N to make a decision. Not assume that my default is the same as the programmer's.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

newsp.0afyz5wawdg98l@glass...

wrote:

[...]

Not with gas taps.

There are other stupid things, like water and gas taps.

Both of which preceded the right is more.

That really annoys me

Then do the decent thing and top yourself or something.

that you turn an electric cooker knob right to make it hotter, and a gas
knob left. I guess that's historical, to do with tightening a screw.

Yep and not at all clear why the later stuff did it the other way.

Ok should be on the right, like on Macs.

What matters is what is selected by default, not which way round they
are.

Bull****. I answer dialog boxes with a mouse,

But what matters is what the cursor hovers over by default, stupid.

what's selected is irrelevant to me.

More fool you when what is selected is what happens
when you click without moving the mouse.

If I used the keyboard to answer them, I'd prefer neither of them to be
selected.

More fool you. It makes a lot more sense
for the safe thing to be the default, stupid.

I'd want to press Y or N to make a decision. Not assume that my default
is the same as the programmer's.

It isnt the programmers when it defaults to the safe choice, stupid.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Wed, 30 Oct 2019 09:39:00 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH another 90 !!! lines of the two clinically insane cretins' latest
troll****

--
Another typical retarded conversation between our two village idiots,
Birdbrain and Rodent Speed:

Birdbrain: "You beat me to it. Plain sex is boring."

Senile Rodent: "Then **** the cats. That wont be boring."

Birdbrain: "Sell me a de-clawing tool first."

Senile Rodent: "Wont help with the teeth."

Birdbrain: "They've never gone for me with their mouths."

Rodent Speed: "They will if you are stupid enough to try ****ing them."

Birdbrain: "No, they always use claws."

Rodent Speed: "They wont if you try ****ing them. Try it and see."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Something to do with safety I think, turing the gas to max means it;s easier to light and as this normally only applies to ovens anyway.

Ok should be on the right, like on Macs.

What matters is what is selected by default, not which way round they are.

Bull****. I answer dialog boxes with a mouse, what's selected is irrelevant to me.

That makes sense for you, but not everyone HAS to use a mouse to do everything.
Sometimes I use the tab key to kmove off the default settign rather than have to move the mouse.

if I delete something by accident I don't have to go to the trash to get it out, I can just do cmd z it's an undo function so I can undo something that I;ve put in the trash.

If I used the keyboard to answer them, I'd prefer neither of them to be selected. I'd want to press Y or N to make a decision. Not assume that my default is the same as the programmer's.

A good programmer on a good OS or app/program would set a sensible default as that's what most users want. Sometimes there's an option that yuo can set so one option just goes ahead without a check.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Troll-feeding Senile ASSHOLE Alert!

On Wed, 30 Oct 2019 04:59:50 -0700 (PDT), whisky-depraved, the notorious,

Something to do with safety I think

Please don't! It doesn't go well with idiots like the two of you!