Posted to uk.d-i-y
Commander Kinsey Commander Kinsey is offline

Default School leavers writing

On Sat, 19 Oct 2019 19:47:28 +0100, Rod Speed wrote:

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
newsp.z9w5l9fkwdg98l@glass...
On Wed, 09 Oct 2019 14:01:56 +0100, whisky-dave
wrote:

On Wednesday, 9 October 2019 01:07:28 UTC+1, Commander Kinsey wrote:
Most people find it easiier to use a one particualr hand than the
other.

Bull****.

Nom it's a fact.

Becaseu that's the way they were taught!

No.
My mother was taught to use her right hand for writing, she had her
knuckles hit with a wooden rular at school, but she could still only
write with her left hand.

Check this out:
https://visual.ly/community/infograp...visually_embed
Note that 4 out of 5 Mac designers are left handers. That explains why
those "computers" are so weird!

They did get one thing right on Macs though, the dialog box. Let's say
you do something like delete a file. The box says something like "Are you
sure? Ok or cancel."
The key difference is Windows is the wrong way round, they put the
affirmative action on the left, claiming that since we read form the left,
we expect affirmative to be there. Bull****. Think of a car - which
pedal makes it go faster? The one on the right. Think of the volume
control on your stereo - turn to the right to increase. Right is always
more.

Plenty of times it isnt.

Most times right is more. There are other stupid things, like water and gas taps. That really annoys me - that you turn an electric cooker knob right to make it hotter, and a gas knob left. I guess that's historical, to do with tightening a screw.

Ok should be on the right, like on Macs.

What matters is what is selected by default, not which way round they are.

Bull****. I answer dialog boxes with a mouse, what's selected is irrelevant to me.

If I used the keyboard to answer them, I'd prefer neither of them to be selected. I'd want to press Y or N to make a decision. Not assume that my default is the same as the programmer's.