Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Energy firms going bust

Robin posted

For far too long it's been possible to make a one-way bet as a small
energy supplier by offering a cheap tariff. If wholesale prices fall
you pocket a profit. If wholesale prices rise you liquidate the
company and walk away,

It seems unlikely that you can do this without committing some cash to
the venture that you will not get back.

--
Evremonde
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Marquis Saint Evremonde wrote:

Robin posted

For far too long it's been possible to make a one-way bet as a small
energy supplier by offering a cheap tariff. If wholesale prices fall
you pocket a profit. If wholesale prices rise you liquidate the
company and walk away,

It seems unlikely that you can do this without committing some cash to
the venture that you will not get back.

The whole money making opportunity for carpet-baggers who probably went
to the same public school as many MPs was invented by one of the most
cynical con tricks on the general public since [insert Brexit | Clmate
Cnamge | Passive Smoking as preferred).

We were told the naughty big five energy companies were confusing us
proor mugs by offering "too many cheap rates". Do-gooders like Which
and time-served "Labour" politicinans were wheeled up to say how unfair
it was to offer us a confusing number of tariffs. So now, by law, the
big five could not diversify their tarifss in order to sell to those of
us spending five minutes to look for a bargain on a comparison site.
Is there any other business where people are not allowed to offer
bargains in case it confuses us poor mugs??

Anyway, most of the possible profits to be made from cheap rates are now
mopped up by these opportunistic "energy companies" leaving a very small
proportion for slightly reduced rates to the public. There are many
ways people can start businesses and lose little fi they fail, but gain
lots if they succeed, and this is one of them.

I'm generally minded to believe in AGW, but when I see what cynical con
tricks our political masters are willing to play on us with the aid of
sincere but misguided campaigners I do wonder.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/10/2019 21:20, The Marquis Saint Evremonde wrote:
Robin posted

For far too long it's been possible to make a one-way bet as a small
energy supplier by offering a cheap tariff.Â* If wholesale prices fall
you pocket a profit.Â* If wholesale prices rise you liquidate the
company and walk away,

It seems unlikely that you can do this without committing some cash to
the venture that you will not get back.

Oh yes. But not a lot of cash. Supply companies were set up negligible
share capital. A licence to supply only cost £450 or so. No need to
lodge a bond or indemnity. And you could of course both set up the
company and work for it, drawing a salary and pension contributions from
day 1. Until this year there wasn't even a "fit and proper person" test
or checks for sufficient finance.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Robin" wrote in message
On 29/10/2019 21:20, The Marquis Saint Evremonde wrote:
Robin posted

For far too long it's been possible to make a one-way bet as a small
energy supplier by offering a cheap tariff. If wholesale prices fall
you pocket a profit. If wholesale prices rise you liquidate the company
and walk away,

It seems unlikely that you can do this without committing some cash to
the venture that you will not get back.

Oh yes. But not a lot of cash. Supply companies were set up negligible
share capital. A licence to supply only cost £450 or so. No need to lodge
a bond or indemnity. And you could of course both set up the company and
work for it, drawing a salary and pension contributions from day 1. Until
this year there wasn't even a "fit and proper person" test or checks for
sufficient finance.

But still substantial startup costs in advertising and signup costs alone
to have any hope of making any real money.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Wed, 30 Oct 2019 10:48:57 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

But still substantial startup costs in advertising and signup costs alone
to have any hope of making any real money.

If someone wanted to hear an asshole's opinion, they'd have farted, senile
asshole!

--
FredXX to Rot Speed:
"You are still an idiot and an embarrassment to your country. No wonder

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/10/2019 22:06, Roger Hayter wrote:
I'm generally minded to believe in AGW, but when I see what cynical con
tricks our political masters are willing to play on us with the aid of
sincere but misguided campaigners I do wonder.

It took me two plus years of deep research and calculation to conclude
that renewable energy was a con, and a further two considering te
skeptics case for AGW to conlude the same.

Post the brexit shambles I now realise that polticians do not lie out of
expedience occasionally. They and the corporate chiefs lie totally about
everything., AGW, Political correctness, social justice - it is ALL
lies. We are lied to from the moment we try to find out what is going on
till the moment we die. And then they mutter some more lies as we are
lowered into the ground or burnt to a crisp.

--
The New Left are the people they warned you about.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

And then they mutter some more lies as we are
lowered into the ground or burnt to a crisp.

Who told you the lie about being lowered into the ground or burnt?
Soylent Green?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/10/2019 08:51, alan_m wrote:

And then they mutter some more lies as we are lowered into the ground
or burnt to a crisp.

Who told you the lie about being lowered into the ground or burnt?
Soylent Green?

Touché.......

--
I would rather have questions that cannot be answered...
....than to have answers that cannot be questioned

Richard Feynman

Energy firms going bust Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) UK diy 12 October 30th 19 09:10 PM
Energy firms going bust alan_m UK diy 1 October 29th 19 06:53 PM
Can anyone recommend Double Glazing firms in Worcester or West Midlands Steve UK diy 3 July 30th 03 08:40 PM