Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default TB 68.2.0

Just upgraded, it's feeling particularly "lumpy" like background or
networking threads are blocking the GUI thread or something, tried
compacting everything, just me?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/10/2019 09:14, Andy Burns wrote:
Just upgraded, it's feeling particularly "lumpy" like background or
networking threads are blocking the GUI thread or something, tried
compacting everything, just me?

Blimey. I'm still on rel. 60!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 23 Oct 2019 09:17:10 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

On 23/10/2019 09:14, Andy Burns wrote:
Just upgraded, it's feeling particularly "lumpy" like background or
networking threads are blocking the GUI thread or something, tried
compacting everything, just me?

Blimey. I'm still on rel. 60!

But you are running Linux and that's often several versions behind
with everything, if it's supported at all.

Steam anyone. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 23/10/2019 09:14, Andy Burns wrote:
Just upgraded, it's feeling particularly "lumpy" like background or
networking threads are blocking the GUI thread or something, tried
compacting everything, just me?

Blimey. I'm still on rel. 60!

But you are running Linux and that's often several versions behind
with everything, if it's supported at all.

Well, I turned off updates at 52.9.1 I got fed up with all the
(unnecessary) changes and the problems they sometimes introduced. I
guess it won't be long before TB changes to web extensions instead of
XUL addons, and many users will find their long-used addons no longer work.

Steam anyone. ;-)

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. But then, for those using Windows, they
continually have to update TB to keep up with the malware.writers. :-)

--

Jeff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 23/10/2019 09:14, Andy Burns wrote:
Just upgraded, it's feeling particularly "lumpy" like background or
networking threads are blocking the GUI thread or something, tried
compacting everything, just me?

Blimey. I'm still on rel. 60!

But you are running Linux and that's often several versions behind
with everything, if it's supported at all.

Macs too it seems - 60.9 here.

--
Cheers, Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 23/10/2019 09:14, Andy Burns wrote:
Just upgraded, it's feeling particularly "lumpy" like background or
networking threads are blocking the GUI thread or something, tried
compacting everything, just me?

Blimey. I'm still on rel. 60!

But you are running Linux and that's often several versions behind
with everything, if it's supported at all.

Macs too it seems - 60.9 here.

But T i m doesn't even use TB and is just trolling.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 23/10/2019 09:14, Andy Burns wrote:
Just upgraded, it's feeling particularly "lumpy" like background or
networking threads are blocking the GUI thread or something, tried
compacting everything, just me?

Blimey. I'm still on rel. 60!

But you are running Linux and that's often several versions behind
with everything, if it's supported at all.

Macs too it seems - 60.9 here.

But T i m doesn't even use TB and is just trolling.

you mean *trolling*, surely ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 23/10/2019 09:14, Andy Burns wrote:
Just upgraded, it's feeling particularly "lumpy" like background or
networking threads are blocking the GUI thread or something, tried
compacting everything, just me?

Blimey. I'm still on rel. 60!

But you are running Linux and that's often several versions behind
with everything, if it's supported at all.

Macs too it seems - 60.9 here.

But T i m doesn't even use TB and is just trolling.

you mean *trolling*, surely ?

I didn't want to be emphatic. One needs to be gentle with those of
special needs.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 23 Oct 2019 13:10:19 +0100, Richard
wrote:

wrote:

On 23/10/2019 09:14, Andy Burns wrote:
Just upgraded, it's feeling particularly "lumpy" like background or
networking threads are blocking the GUI thread or something, tried
compacting everything, just me?

Blimey. I'm still on rel. 60!

But you are running Linux and that's often several versions behind
with everything, if it's supported at all.

Macs too it seems - 60.9 here.

But T i m doesn't even use TB and is just trolling.

Bwhahaha ... you sad sad left brainer Linux nerd (and actual troll as
it turns out).

Just because I don't use TB for usenet doesn't mean I don't use it at
all.

In fact, I have been using TB from the beginning, and Netscape
Communicator before that.

I'm currently running TB V0.9 (20041103) on this XP on a MacMini
because 'it still works'.

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

wrote:

On 23/10/2019 09:14, Andy Burns wrote:
Just upgraded, it's feeling particularly "lumpy" like background or
networking threads are blocking the GUI thread or something, tried
compacting everything, just me?

Blimey. I'm still on rel. 60!

But you are running Linux and that's often several versions behind
with everything, if it's supported at all.

Macs too it seems - 60.9 here.

But T i m doesn't even use TB and is just trolling.

Bwhahaha ... you sad sad left brainer Linux nerd (and actual troll as
it turns out).

Just because I don't use TB for usenet doesn't mean I don't use it at
all.

In fact, I have been using TB from the beginning, and Netscape
Communicator before that.

I'm currently running TB V0.9 (20041103) on this XP on a MacMini
because 'it still works'.

Kinda proves your dig at TNP to be your usual trolling, but you are too
up yourself to see that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 23/10/2019 09:14, Andy Burns wrote:
Just upgraded, it's feeling particularly "lumpy" like background or
networking threads are blocking the GUI thread or something, tried
compacting everything, just me?

Blimey. I'm still on rel. 60!

Er...me too. Rel 60.9, and updated not too long ago. Are we talking
the same thing here TB = Thunderbird?

Running Win7, 32 bit, TB only used for e-mails and calendar, not
usenet.

My Thunderbird says it's up to date and it's 60.9.0 (32-bit) running on
Windows7 64 bit.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 23/10/2019 09:14, Andy Burns wrote:
Just upgraded, it's feeling particularly "lumpy" like background or
networking threads are blocking the GUI thread or something, tried
compacting everything, just me?

Blimey. I'm still on rel. 60!

But you are running Linux and that's often several versions behind
with everything, if it's supported at all.

Macs too it seems - 60.9 here.

There is no release between 60 and 68.

Lucas Bergkamp
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Hogg wrote:

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Blimey. I'm still on rel. 60!

Er...me too. Rel 60.9, and updated not too long ago. Are we talking
the same thing here TB = Thunderbird?

Yep ...

https://www.thunderbird.net/en-US/thunderbird/68.2.0/system-requirements/

Don't forget the version numbering on hunderbird only creeps up by a
minor number most times that firefox goes up by a major version, then
every few months TB "jumps" to catch up with the ESR releases.

e.g.

TB68.0 = FF68.0
TB68.1 = FF69.0
TB68.2 = FF70.0

so 52.x then 60.x and now 68.x are TB versions that align with the same
FF versions
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

There is no release between 60 and 68.

That's how the TB vs FF numbering works

60 = 60
60.1 = 61
60.7 = 67
68 = 68

plus the release cycles will be getting quicker next year (every 4 weeks
rather than 6 weeks)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 23 Oct 2019 14:03:02 +0100, Richard
wrote:

snip

I'm currently running TB V0.9 (20041103) on this XP on a MacMini
because 'it still works'.

Kinda proves your dig at TNP to be your usual trolling, but you are too
up yourself to see that.

Aww bless.

Ok, so you don't have the bigger picture and felt the need to jump in,
out of your depth again but hey, you seem to enjoy it! ;-)

If I wanted to 'have a dig' at TNP it would be re his hypocrisy for
slagging Windows off but having to use it himself (a VM is *still*
'using windows').

What I actually did was have a *tiny* fun pop at a Linux via a geek
(because of the history) in such a way that only other Linux Geeks
would be likely to throw themselves on the hook. Well done you.

I would hardly be 'up myself' by admitting I was running V0.9 would I,
left brainer. ;-(

Anyway, thanks for your input.

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 23/10/2019 09:14, Andy Burns wrote:
Just upgraded, it's feeling particularly "lumpy" like background or
networking threads are blocking the GUI thread or something, tried
compacting everything, just me?

Blimey. I'm still on rel. 60!

Er...me too. Rel 60.9, and updated not too long ago. Are we talking
the same thing here TB = Thunderbird?

Running Win7, 32 bit, TB only used for e-mails and calendar, not
usenet.

I too am using Thunderbird on Windows and it has updated recently to
60.9 and HelpAbout said that it was up to date when I checked this
evening, however, a look at the Thunderbird website shows the current
version to be 68.2

I have now downloaded the latest version and installed it and it seems
to be running fine.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 23/10/2019 09:14, Andy Burns wrote:
Just upgraded, it's feeling particularly "lumpy" like background or
networking threads are blocking the GUI thread or something, tried
compacting everything, just me?

Blimey. I'm still on rel. 60!

Er...me too. Rel 60.9, and updated not too long ago. Are we talking
the same thing here TB = Thunderbird?

Running Win7, 32 bit, TB only used for e-mails and calendar, not
usenet.

My Thunderbird says it's up to date and it's 60.9.0 (32-bit) running on
Windows7 64 bit.

Mine did too an hour ago. The TB website has version 68.2 though. I have
installed that over the older version and it is running fine and has
picked up the existing configuration and data files.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 23/10/2019 09:14, Andy Burns wrote:
Just upgraded, it's feeling particularly "lumpy" like background or
networking threads are blocking the GUI thread or something, tried
compacting everything, just me?

Blimey. I'm still on rel. 60!

Er...me too. Rel 60.9, and updated not too long ago. Are we talking
the same thing here TB = Thunderbird?

Running Win7, 32 bit, TB only used for e-mails and calendar, not
usenet.

My Thunderbird says it's up to date and it's 60.9.0 (32-bit) running
on Windows7 64 bit.

Mine did too an hour ago. The TB website has version 68.2 though. I have
installed that over the older version and it is running fine and has
picked up the existing configuration and data files.

How odd - so there is. Wonder why the auto updater isn't picking up 68.2?

--
Cheers, Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

RJH wrote:

Wonder why the auto updater isn't picking up 68.2?

Think there was some reason why it wouldn't automatically update, 32vs64
bit versions perhaps? The release notes say ...

"Thunderbird version 68.0 is only offered as direct download from
thunderbird.net and not as upgrade from Thunderbird version 60 or
earlier. A future version 68.1 will provide updates from earlier versions."