Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wire insulation problem

Hello all,

I have a "little Acorn" trail cam, it is a waterproof digital camera which automatically takes photos when it detects movement. A flap on the base opens to give access to the controls and a small screen. A electrical ribbon cable connects the electrics in the body of the camera to the electrics in the flap.

Unfortunately the insulation of the ribbon cable has completely perished and come away. Access to the ends of the copper wire is not possible as the units are sealed. Without insulation I am worried that the copper wires may either short out or become damaged when the lid moves.

Can anyone suggest a way of protecting the wires with a flexible, insulative coating that can be applied to fine copper wires that are close together?

TIA
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Hello all,

I have a "little Acorn" trail cam, it is a waterproof digital camera
which automatically takes photos when it detects movement. A flap on the
base opens to give access to the controls and a small screen. A
electrical ribbon cable connects the electrics in the body of the camera
to the electrics in the flap.

Unfortunately the insulation of the ribbon cable has completely perished
and come away. Access to the ends of the copper wire is not possible as
the units are sealed. Without insulation I am worried that the copper
wires may either short out or become damaged when the lid moves.

Can anyone suggest a way of protecting the wires with a flexible,
insulative coating that can be applied to fine copper wires that are close together?

TIA

You could try a thin layer of neutral cure clear silicone.

Being neutral cure, it shouldnt harm the copper etc. Being clear, you can
see the wires are kept apart as you apply it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Sun, 20 Oct 2019 07:00:52 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Sugru.

Shove it up your senile troll arse, senile Rodent!

little ignorant ****."
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Hello all,

I have a "little Acorn" trail cam, it is a waterproof digital camera which
automatically takes photos when it detects movement. A flap on the base
opens to give access to the controls and a small screen. A electrical
ribbon cable connects the electrics in the body of the camera to the
electrics in the flap.

Unfortunately the insulation of the ribbon cable has completely perished
and come away. Access to the ends of the copper wire is not possible as
the units are sealed. Without insulation I am worried that the copper
wires may either short out or become damaged when the lid moves.

Can anyone suggest a way of protecting the wires with a flexible,
insulative coating that can be applied to fine copper wires that are close
together?

TIA

I had this problem with an Ereagle cameral. In the end I checked the
type number on the ribbon cable, which specifies the thickness and
pitch, and measured the length and number of ways; and found 100 of
them for about 5 quid on Alibaba. They are about 1cm longer than the
original, but this is easlly accommodated at one end.

(I doubt if they fit yours but they are 100Pcs AWM 20624 80C 60V VW-1
230 x 0.5mm 26 Pin FFC . I also have a couple of the same thing 8" long
which were too short for my application. You would be welcome to a
couple if they did fit)

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Hayter wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Actually I was mistaken, it was Amazon marketplace I got them. But I
just put ""AWM 20624" price uk" into Google and sifted the results for
length etc.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, October 19, 2019 at 10:12:14 PM UTC+1, Roger Hayter wrote:

snip

Actually I was mistaken, it was Amazon marketplace I got them. But I
just put ""AWM 20624" price uk" into Google and sifted the results for
length etc.

--

Roger Hayter

Thanks for the offer but I do not think they would be suitable. Plus I can not access any plug at the end of the cable as the wires disappear inside sealed units both ends.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, October 19, 2019 at 9:01:04 PM UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
wrote in message

snip

Can anyone suggest a way of protecting the wires with a flexible,
insulative coating that can be applied to fine copper wires that are close
together?

Sugru.

Looks like pretty cool stuff. I can think of a couple of jobs for it. Thanks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, October 19, 2019 at 8:25:57 PM UTC+1, Brian Reay wrote:

snip

You could try a thin layer of neutral cure clear silicone.

Being neutral cure, it shouldnt harm the copper etc. Being clear, you can
see the wires are kept apart as you apply it.

Clever thinking on it being clear, but pretty messy to apply I would guess.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Saturday, October 19, 2019 at 10:12:14 PM UTC+1, Roger Hayter wrote:

snip

Actually I was mistaken, it was Amazon marketplace I got them. But I
just put ""AWM 20624" price uk" into Google and sifted the results for
length etc.

--

Roger Hayter

Thanks for the offer but I do not think they would be suitable. Plus I can
not access any plug at the end of the cable as the wires disappear inside
sealed units both ends.

That which i sealed can be unsealed! Though if you are not comfortable
dismantling it that would be a problem.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 20 Oct 2019 18:16:52 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

But it probably sets rock hard

No it doesn¢t.

LOL

and the flexi wire no longer bends.

Nope.

LOL

In auto-contradicting mode again, you clinically insane auto-contradicting
senile ASSHOLE? LOL

--
Kerr-Mudd,John addressing senile Rot:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

So is this really wire or one of those printed circuit flexible couplings as
you get on the end of keyboard membranes. If it is the latter, I'd suggest
its not repairable, but otherwise it depends on how far apart the wires are
and whether you might be able to get in with some electrical lacquer of some
kind.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Paddy Dzell" wrote in message ...
has brought this to us :
Hello all,

I have a "little Acorn" trail cam, it is a waterproof digital camera
which automatically takes photos when it detects movement. A flap on the
base opens to give access to the controls and a small screen. A
electrical ribbon cable connects the electrics in the body of the camera
to the electrics in the flap.

Unfortunately the insulation of the ribbon cable has completely perished
and come away. Access to the ends of the copper wire is not possible as
the units are sealed. Without insulation I am worried that the copper
wires may either short out or become damaged when the lid moves.

Can anyone suggest a way of protecting the wires with a flexible,
insulative coating that can be applied to fine copper wires that are
close together?

TIA

Wouldn't be flexible but only think that comes to mind is a blob of
hot-melt glue on the bare conductors?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 20 Oct 2019 07:38:16 +0100, alan_m wrote:

Sugru.

Looks like pretty cool stuff. I can think of a couple of jobs for

it.

But it probably sets rock hard and the flexi wire no longer bends.

No Sugru stays soft but not as soft as a thin layer of silicone. It's
also opaque and quite firm before curing. Neutral cure clear silicone
is far softer before curing and far more flexible/robust when cured.

Not quite sure what "... the insulation of the ribbon cable has
completely perished and come away." actually means. PVC is normally
very stable but doesn't like UV from sunlight.

It's also not clear if the controls/screen are on the flap, thus the
cable has to flex with the hinge or if the controls/screen are merely
covered by the flap. A photo or three would be very useful.

Other things a PCB "conformal coating", sprys or paint on with small
brush. Flexible to some extent but won'ttake repeated flexing. Or
maybe pot the whole in "Magic Gel" from Raytech.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 19 October 2019 20:09:23 UTC+1, wrote:

Can anyone suggest a way of protecting the wires with a flexible, insulative coating that can be applied to fine copper wires that are close together?

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warp_and_weft : consider the copper as warp, and use cotton or thread as the weft woven into it, positioned with a needle and a steady hand. That provides both separation and insulation. Perhaps, use one or two extra warp strands on each edge, adding strength. Push the weft strands together as you go, so that there is continuous coverage.

The sort of glue that comes (came?) in bicycle puncture repair outfits _should_ dry flexible. If so, it could be applied over and into the weft.

Note that it would have been useful to give numeric values for "fine" and "close".

Of course, you will test this on a facsimile of the real thing.

--
(c) John Stockton, near London, UK. Using Google Groups. |
Mail: - or as Reply-To, if any. |
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
[...]

Conformal coating, such as Humiseal, would be a good choice if he can get
hold of some. Ive never tried to buy it privately/over the counter, it
came across it professionally- it was used to coat PCBs as you say. PCBs
are normally dipped or sprayed but reworked areas are touched up by hand
with a brush.

The older stuff was, I believe considered hazardous but I think a newer
version ( with a safer solvent) was introduced.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, October 20, 2019 at 11:49:05 AM UTC+1, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 20 Oct 2019 07:38:16 +0100, alan_m wrote:

Sugru.

Looks like pretty cool stuff. I can think of a couple of jobs for

it.

But it probably sets rock hard and the flexi wire no longer bends.

No Sugru stays soft but not as soft as a thin layer of silicone. It's
also opaque and quite firm before curing. Neutral cure clear silicone
is far softer before curing and far more flexible/robust when cured.

Not quite sure what "... the insulation of the ribbon cable has
completely perished and come away." actually means. PVC is normally
very stable but doesn't like UV from sunlight.

Opened it up after a few months in storage to find the wires bare and what had seemed to be conventional insulation now powder.

It's also not clear if the controls/screen are on the flap, thus the
cable has to flex with the hinge or if the controls/screen are merely
covered by the flap. A photo or three would be very useful.

Yes the screen and controls are in the flap and the wires bend with the hinge. I will think about where to post photos.

Other things a PCB "conformal coating", sprys or paint on with small
brush. Flexible to some extent but won'ttake repeated flexing. Or
maybe pot the whole in "Magic Gel" from Raytech.

Only thing I know about magic gel is the youtube video I just watched, but I can not see how to get just the wires in the gloop.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, October 20, 2019 at 12:48:01 AM UTC+1, Roger Hayter wrote:
wrote:

On Saturday, October 19, 2019 at 10:12:14 PM UTC+1, Roger Hayter wrote:

snip

Actually I was mistaken, it was Amazon marketplace I got them. But I
just put ""AWM 20624" price uk" into Google and sifted the results for
length etc.

--

Roger Hayter

Thanks for the offer but I do not think they would be suitable. Plus I can
not access any plug at the end of the cable as the wires disappear inside
sealed units both ends.

That which i sealed can be unsealed! Though if you are not comfortable
dismantling it that would be a problem.

--

Roger Hayter

I do not think I can without causing damage.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 20 Oct 2019 12:58:45 +0000 (UTC), Brian Reay wrote:

Other things a PCB "conformal coating", sprys or paint on with

small
brush. Flexible to some extent but won'ttake repeated flexing. Or
maybe pot the whole in "Magic Gel" from Raytech.

Conformal coating, such as Humiseal, would be a good choice if he can
get hold of some. I ve never tried to buy it privately/over the
counter, it came across it professionally-

CPC, Rapid, eBay... have Electrolube HPA (High Perfomance Acrylic)
conformal coating. I've used it to protect the components and PCB
inside a tiping bucket rain guage. Other conformal coatings are
available based on other materials like silicone.

Further info from the OP indicates that the wires have to flex at
least 90 degrees and I expct in quite a short distance. Not sure HPA
would be up to that, other formulations might be.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Sun, 20 Oct 2019 13:30:46 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Opened it up after a few months in storage to find the wires bare and
what had seemed to be conventional insulation now powder.

That's a bit weird. What other items was it stored with? Thinking
that "something" from other items has attacked the insulation, can't
think what tho'.

The exposed part of the printed ribbon cable (I presume the same as the
OP's) disintegrated in storage too, although to a goo rather than a
powder. I am sure no secondary coating would adequately separate and
support the naked 26 printed 'wires', let alon flex adequately. My only
theory is vapour or liquid from slightly leaking AA alkaline cells gets
at the coating. Since I replaced the ribbon cable I don't leave the
batteries in!

Spares are available (though I obviously don't know if the OP's model
has spares):

https://pakatak.co.uk/product/ltl-ac...-ribbon-cable/

Photos suggest it screws together;

https://www.ronburyswildlife.com/201...n-display.html

So I would recommend to the OP he either replaces it himself or finds
someone, ? a maker club or something, who can. I suspect the ribbon
cables are much cheaper on the general Internet than as specific spares,
if you can find one.

PS I think I may have the two little acorn ones I purchased in error, if
they are the same as the differently branded ones I bought with
identical model numbers. They cost me 24GBP but I would happily take a
loss if they are useful. Just need the AWM number printed on them and
the length. Purchased before I realised how many similar looking trail
camera brands are around, many being approximate copies rather than
badge engineering.

Yes the screen and controls are in the flap and the wires bend with the
hinge. I will think about where to post photos.

So whatever solution is found has to cope flexing at least 90 degrees
over justa few mm.

Other things a PCB "conformal coating", sprys or paint on with

small
brush. Flexible to some extent but won'ttake repeated flexing. Or
maybe pot the whole in "Magic Gel" from Raytech.

Only thing I know about magic gel is the youtube video I just watched,
but I can not see how to get just the wires in the gloop.

It would be difficult to pot the wires but you might be able to paint
them with Magic Gel. It's sort of "warm clear honey" viscosity when
mixed and cures soft, elastic, flexable and translucent. If it
doesn't want to stick to everything and form strings when trying to
paint with it it could be the stuff to use. I only used it to pot up
a 3 stage voltage doubler so just poured it, don't have a memory of
it forming a string when stopping pouring.

--

Roger Hayter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Hello all,

I have a "little Acorn" trail cam, it is a waterproof digital camera
which automatically takes photos when it detects movement. A flap on the
base opens to give access to the controls and a small screen. A
electrical ribbon cable connects the electrics in the body of the camera
to the electrics in the flap.

Unfortunately the insulation of the ribbon cable has completely perished
and come away. Access to the ends of the copper wire is not possible as
the units are sealed. Without insulation I am worried that the copper
wires may either short out or become damaged when the lid moves.

Can anyone suggest a way of protecting the wires with a flexible,
insulative coating that can be applied to fine copper wires that are close together?

TIA

You dont say what model of little acorn you have but it sounds the same as
mine.
It is fiddly but you can dismantle the unit and replace the cable.
Spares available from the importers for the UK.

https://pakatak.co.uk/product-catego...n-spare-parts/

If you are not confident they also offer a repair service as does this chap
who built up some knowledge on the
little acorns.

https://www.ronburyswildlife.com/p/c...l-support.html

Best ring first or email as ISTR he had health issues a while back and may
not be as active as he once was.

GH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/10/2019 23:41, Dave Liquorice wrote:
someone or something put it togetehr it*must* come apart.

Simple minds.

solvent weld?

--
€œI know that most men, including those at ease with problems of the
greatest complexity, can seldom accept even the simplest and most

ۥ Leo Tolstoy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

How about hair fix spray. They Will evaporate and hold the Wires together. Or one may try spray bandage stuff, once dry they seal and hold firm.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, October 19, 2019 at 8:09:23 PM UTC+1, wrote:
Hello all,

I have a "little Acorn" trail cam.

Thanks everyone for your help. I have decided to be brave and try to take it apart. If I can get the old ribbon cable out without breaking anything then Pakatak sell a spare. I will update you all with success/problems as they occur.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, October 21, 2019 at 12:58:59 AM UTC+1, Roger Hayter wrote:

PS I think I may have the two little acorn ones I purchased in error, if
they are the same as the differently branded ones I bought with
identical model numbers. They cost me 24GBP but I would happily take a
loss if they are useful. Just need the AWM number printed on them and
the length. Purchased before I realised how many similar looking trail
camera brands are around, many being approximate copies rather than
badge engineering.

If I find out the AWM number I will let you know. Thanks.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
wrote:

I have decided to be brave and try to take it apart.

If you break it, aldi have them tomorrow ...

https://www.aldi.co.uk/wildlife-camera/p/020702299474200

And if you miss those then Lidl a week later.

https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/p/outdoor-...-camera/p26591

Though it is a very basic less well specced model than the Aldi one , or
indeed the one Lidl usually do
which gave results equal to my Little Acorn.

GH

Old wire thicker than new wire? Nexus7 Home Repair 44 July 11th 17 01:28 AM
3-wire, 220v Electric Service with no Neutral Wire - How?? Ashton Crusher Home Repair 4 May 22nd 05 12:37 PM
2 wire electret vs 3 wire pil Electronics 4 July 21st 04 03:28 PM
Slitting machine, Slitting, Rolling mill, Wire Flattening Mill, Sheet Leveler, Section Leveler, Scalping Machine, Brush Machine, coiler, decoiler, recoiler, 4 Hi, 6 Hi, 4 High, 6 High, Rolling mill, Wire Flattening Mill, Polishing Machine, Rewinding korak Metalworking 1 January 4th 04 07:25 PM
Slitting machine, Slitting, Rolling mill, Wire Flattening Mill, Sheet Leveler, Section Leveler, Scalping Machine, Brush Machine, coiler, decoiler, recoiler, 4 Hi, 6 Hi, 4 High, 6 High, Rolling mill, Wire Flattening Mill, Polishing Machine, Rewinding korak Metalworking 1 December 15th 03 05:36 AM