Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default moan #2 - dimmable or not

Looking for a multi-light fitting.
4 spot lights on a bar.

Screwfix designates most as "non-dimmable" but doesn't include the GU10
bulbs.
Separately it lists dimmable GU10 bulbs.

So what have they done to the light fitting to make it non-dimmable?

Think they're talking ********.

Cheers

Dave R

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David wrote:
Looking for a multi-light fitting.
4 spot lights on a bar.

Screwfix designates most as "non-dimmable" but doesn't include the GU10
bulbs.
Separately it lists dimmable GU10 bulbs.

So what have they done to the light fitting to make it non-dimmable?

Think they're talking ********.

Cheers

Dave R

It certainly seems strange. Dimmability is generally a function of the bulb
unless it is florescent fitting which it doesnt seem to be.

On the face of it, your assessment seems valid ;-)

As a side comment, the plethora of bulb types is a nightmare. We have some
fittings which we especially like in a couple of rooms which are designed
for golf ball 40W conventional bulbs. Weve had them about 20 years but
they are perfect for the rooms they are in etc and have dimmers. Try as I
might, I cant find dimmable LED replacements which have a true equivalent
light output. Ones with a lower output yes but not true equivalent.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Brian Reay wrote:
As a side comment, the plethora of bulb types is a nightmare. We have
some fittings which we especially like in a couple of rooms which are
designed for golf ball 40W conventional bulbs. Weve had them about 20
years but they are perfect for the rooms they are in etc and have
dimmers. Try as I might, I cant find dimmable LED replacements which
have a true equivalent light output. Ones with a lower output yes but
not true equivalent.

It is a real problem with LEDs. Where you actually see the bulbs. Trying
to find ones which look as good as the tungsten type.

Only type I've been impressed with recently were LED ceiling panel lights.
Very even indeed to the eye - probably better than the equivalent
florries. But not something I'd want at home.

I'd guess quite a bit of it is down to having the electronics built into
the bulb - same as CFL. Not a problem on a panel.

--
*I wish the buck stopped here. I could use a few.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Can be great fun watching people trying to find the right lamp in a
supermarket.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Brian Reay wrote:
As a side comment, the plethora of bulb types is a nightmare. We have
some fittings which we especially like in a couple of rooms which are
designed for golf ball‘ 40W conventional bulbs. We‘ve had them about 20
years but they are perfect for the rooms they are in etc and have
dimmers. Try as I might, I can‘t find dimmable LED replacements which
have a true equivalent light output. Ones with a lower output yes but
not true equivalent.

It is a real problem with LEDs. Where you actually see the bulbs. Trying
to find ones which look as good as the tungsten type.

My particular bugbear is that even after all this time, there still doesnt
seem to be an LED equivalent of a standard bulb in terms of light
distribution. The output is nearly all directed away from the base, unlike
tungsten bulbs which have a much more spherical light distribution. Ive
yet to find a good 100W equivalent for a standard lamp (where I want
significant downward spread of light for reading).

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim+" wrote in message
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Brian Reay wrote:
[...]

The Philips Hue E27 and B22 bulbs do.

Ive yet to find a good 100W equivalent for a standard lamp
(where I want significant downward spread of light for reading).

Makes more sense to not use a standard lamp for reading.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Brian Reay wrote:
As a side comment, the plethora of bulb types is a nightmare. We have
some fittings which we especially like in a couple of rooms which are
designed for golf ball 40W conventional bulbs. Weve had them about 20
years but they are perfect for the rooms they are in etc and have
dimmers. Try as I might, I cant find dimmable LED replacements which
have a true equivalent light output. Ones with a lower output yes but
not true equivalent.

It is a real problem with LEDs. Where you actually see the bulbs. Trying
to find ones which look as good as the tungsten type.

Hmm, I've mixed views on that. I've replaced some bulbs with LED ones
and the general shape etc is much the same- at least in for the higher
wattage ones. Some of the decorative / mood lighting LEDs look quite
good, if you like that kind of thing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/10/2019 15:48, John wrote:

Can be great fun watching people trying to find the right lamp in a
supermarket.

I've picked up a few LEDs occasionally in supermarkets, I have the
impression that their actual output in lumens is often quite well down
on those from LED hut (or even Screwfix).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/10/2019 14:26, David wrote:
Looking for a multi-light fitting.
4 spot lights on a bar.

Screwfix designates most as "non-dimmable" but doesn't include the GU10
bulbs.
Separately it lists dimmable GU10 bulbs.

So what have they done to the light fitting to make it non-dimmable?

Quartz halogens may be dimmable but the recycling mechanism that keeps
the internal glass surface clean doesn't work if they are run too cool.
There may be dimmed settings where their working life is compromised.

Put another way they never regain full brightness when you want it.

If they are LED based then some are indeed not dimmable or could even by
damaged by attempts to dim them. LED fittings sometimes present too
little load for old school dimmers to work at all.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 20 Oct 2019 03:49:40 +1100, ZakJames, better known as cantankerous

The Philips Hue E27 and B22 bulbs do.

Shove your Philips Hue bulbs up your senile arse, senile asshole!

--
Marland answering trolling senile Rodent's statement, "I don't leak":
"Thats because so much **** and ****e emanates from your gob that there is

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 19 Oct 2019 19:25:10 +0100, Martin Brown wrote:

On 19/10/2019 14:26, David wrote:
Looking for a multi-light fitting.
4 spot lights on a bar.

Screwfix designates most as "non-dimmable" but doesn't include the GU10
bulbs.
Separately it lists dimmable GU10 bulbs.

So what have they done to the light fitting to make it non-dimmable?

Quartz halogens may be dimmable but the recycling mechanism that keeps
the internal glass surface clean doesn't work if they are run too cool.
There may be dimmed settings where their working life is compromised.

Put another way they never regain full brightness when you want it.

If they are LED based then some are indeed not dimmable or could even by
damaged by attempts to dim them. LED fittings sometimes present too
little load for old school dimmers to work at all.

Yebbut.

The lights don't HAVE any bulbs.

They are just the fittings.

Cheers

Dave R

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ wrote:

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Brian Reay wrote:
[...]

There used to be some Lumilfe ones, but they seem to have ceased to
exist, or at least to be available. The latest (not so cheap) golf
ball ones I have found with illumination in all directions (except,
obviously, the base) are Osram Parathom.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Brian Reay wrote:
As a side comment, the plethora of bulb types is a nightmare. We have
some fittings which we especially like in a couple of rooms which are
designed for golf ball 40W conventional bulbs. Weve had them about 20
years but they are perfect for the rooms they are in etc and have
dimmers. Try as I might, I cant find dimmable LED replacements which
have a true equivalent light output. Ones with a lower output yes but
not true equivalent.

It is a real problem with LEDs. Where you actually see the bulbs. Trying
to find ones which look as good as the tungsten type.

That's true, and there is another issue where the colour temperature of
the bulbs varies. A few months ago I bought 10 bulbs, which had
identical packs (there were several dozen - I just picked 10 of the
boxes, checking the info was the same). When I tried them, I found 7 had
one colour, and three another colour. It wasn't greatly different, and
they matched within those groups, but were distinctly and obviously
different when switched on at the same time in the same room.

--

Jeff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 19 Oct 2019 14:48:31 GMT, John wrote:

Can be great fun watching people trying to find the right lamp in a
supermarket.

Sometimes I'll ask if I can be of help - did a lot of research before
refitting the house with LEDs. Sad, but I might qualify as a folk singer -
I'm nerdLED!
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19 Oct 2019 15:27:46 GMT, Tim+ wrote:

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Brian Reay wrote:
[...]

The nearest is probably the 'filament' (COB). If I could find an easy way of
modding my standard lamp I'd put in some sort of flexi-adaptor and use a
GU10 or R50 - 63 to shine downwards.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Posted to uk.d-i-y

PeterC wrote in
:

On Sat, 19 Oct 2019 14:48:31 GMT, John wrote:

Can be great fun watching people trying to find the right lamp in a
supermarket.

Sometimes I'll ask if I can be of help - did a lot of research before
refitting the house with LEDs. Sad, but I might qualify as a folk
singer - I'm nerdLED!

Dificult it people don't even know what their existing lampholder is.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:
Quartz halogens may be dimmable but the recycling mechanism that keeps
the internal glass surface clean doesn't work if they are run too cool.

I keep on reading this. Yet to experience it in practice. With a vast
range of halogen types, both mains and LV, all on dimmers.

Only time I've seen blackened halogen is car headlight bulbs. And not many
cars have dimmers.

--
*No radio - Already stolen.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:
Quartz halogens may be dimmable but the recycling mechanism that keeps
the internal glass surface clean doesn't work if they are run too cool.

I keep on reading this. Yet to experience it in practice. With a vast
range of halogen types, both mains and LV, all on dimmers.

Only time I've seen blackened halogen is car headlight bulbs. And not many
cars have dimmers.

They used to have a "dim dipped" function, where the headlamp bulbs were
wired in series when you had the side lights and ignition on. It was
even a legal requirement I believe, in the late 80s and early 90s.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 20 Oct 2019 08:55:42 GMT, John wrote:

PeterC wrote in
:

On Sat, 19 Oct 2019 14:48:31 GMT, John wrote:

Can be great fun watching people trying to find the right lamp in a
supermarket.

Sometimes I'll ask if I can be of help - did a lot of research before
refitting the house with LEDs. Sad, but I might qualify as a folk
singer - I'm nerdLED!

Dificult it people don't even know what their existing lampholder is.

Indeed - might eventually get bayonet or screw, have a better guess then by
knowing what the holder is fitted to, then no idea of size: E27/E14; B22/B15
etc. GU10 is usually OK but the rangeof MR and G bases...
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 19/10/2019 14:26, David wrote:
Looking for a multi-light fitting.
4 spot lights on a bar.

Screwfix designates most as "non-dimmable" but doesn't include the GU10
bulbs.
Separately it lists dimmable GU10 bulbs.

So what have they done to the light fitting to make it non-dimmable?

Think they're talking ********.

There is nothing they can do to the fitting to stop you using dimmable
lamps.

The outside up/down light fittings I fitted several years ago to a
customers house had instructions that said "must not be installed indoors"

Chinglish is to blame.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 20/10/2019 14:40, Max Demian wrote:
In article ,
*** Martin Brown wrote:
Quartz halogens may be dimmable but the recycling mechanism that keeps
the internal glass surface clean doesn't work if they are run too cool.

I keep on reading this. Yet to experience it in practice. With a vast
range of halogen types, both mains and LV, all on dimmers.

Only time I've seen blackened halogen is car headlight bulbs. And not
many
cars have dimmers.

They used to have a "dim dipped" function, where the headlamp bulbs were
wired in series when you had the side lights and ignition on. It was
even a legal requirement I believe, in the late 80s and early 90s.

Dim dip headlights are a history lesson in why the older generation hate
the EU and voted to leave.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automo...#Dim-dip_lamps

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/10/2019 19:02, newshound wrote:
On 19/10/2019 15:48, John wrote:

Can be great fun watching people trying to find the right lamp in a
supermarket.

I've picked up a few LEDs occasionally in supermarkets, I have the
impression that their actual output in lumens is often quite well down
on those from LED hut (or even Screwfix).

and sometimes they will buzz when switched on.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Brown wrote:
Quartz halogens may be dimmable but the recycling mechanism that keeps
the internal glass surface clean doesn't work if they are run too cool.

I keep on reading this. Yet to experience it in practice. With a vast
range of halogen types, both mains and LV, all on dimmers.

Only time I've seen blackened halogen is car headlight bulbs. And not
many
cars have dimmers.

They used to have a "dim dipped" function, where the headlamp bulbs were
wired in series when you had the side lights and ignition on. It was
even a legal requirement I believe, in the late 80s and early 90s.

Dim dip headlights are a history lesson in why the older generation hate
the EU and voted to leave.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automo...#Dim-dip_lamps

Dim-Dip was around before the existed. I fitted the necessary to my 1965
Anglia.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Brown wrote:
Quartz halogens may be dimmable but the recycling mechanism that keeps
the internal glass surface clean doesn't work if they are run too cool.

I keep on reading this. Yet to experience it in practice. With a vast
range of halogen types, both mains and LV, all on dimmers.

Only time I've seen blackened halogen is car headlight bulbs. And not
many
cars have dimmers.

They used to have a "dim dipped" function, where the headlamp bulbs were
wired in series when you had the side lights and ignition on. It was
even a legal requirement I believe, in the late 80s and early 90s.

Dim dip headlights are a history lesson in why the older generation hate
the EU and voted to leave.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automo...#Dim-dip_lamps

Are you saying dim-dip headlamps were a *good* idea? Because that
article suggests British reps foisted the idea on an EU committee in
1975, as a recommendation rather than a directive, and none but the
British adopted them. The EU standards people rapidly decided it was a
silly idea and within a decade stopped the Brittish using them. One up
to EU common sense, in my view!

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

*** Martin Brown wrote:
Quartz halogens may be dimmable but the recycling mechanism that
keeps the internal glass surface clean doesn't work if they are run
too cool.

I keep on reading this. Yet to experience it in practice. With a vast
range of halogen types, both mains and LV, all on dimmers.

Only time I've seen blackened halogen is car headlight bulbs. And not
many cars have dimmers.

They used to have a "dim dipped" function, where the headlamp bulbs
were wired in series when you had the side lights and ignition on. It
was even a legal requirement I believe, in the late 80s and early 90s.

Dim dip headlights are a history lesson in why the older generation hate
the EU and voted to leave.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automo...#Dim-dip_lamps

Many years ago I had a Toyota Supra with pop up headlights which had (IIRC)
4 settings.

Side light

Dim dip

Dip

Full

Fitting (again IIRC) 100W bulbs made the dim dip very useful in built up
areas.

Cheers

Dave R

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 19 October 2019 14:26:12 UTC+1, David WE Roberts (Google) wrote:
Looking for a multi-light fitting.
4 spot lights on a bar.

Screwfix designates most as "non-dimmable" but doesn't include the GU10
bulbs.
Separately it lists dimmable GU10 bulbs.

So what have they done to the light fitting to make it non-dimmable?

Made the GU10 sockets slightly too small for the dimmable bulbs to fit in. ?
Although sometimes other makes will fit.
Also some have single blue LEDs for decoration and can't be dimmed.

Think they're talking ********.

Cheers

Dave R

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Max Demian wrote:
Only time I've seen blackened halogen is car headlight bulbs. And not many
cars have dimmers.

They used to have a "dim dipped" function, where the headlamp bulbs were
wired in series when you had the side lights and ignition on. It was
even a legal requirement I believe, in the late 80s and early 90s.

I've never had a car with that, so only ever seen blackened bulbs on
normal dipped headlights.

The most common cars you saw with those dimmed headlight at one time round
here were black cabs - and they used the older sealed beam Lucas units,
not halogen.

--
*Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines *