Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Reay[_6_] Brian Reay[_6_] is offline

Default moan #2 - dimmable or not

David wrote:
Looking for a multi-light fitting.
4 spot lights on a bar.

Screwfix designates most as "non-dimmable" but doesn't include the GU10
bulbs.
Separately it lists dimmable GU10 bulbs.

So what have they done to the light fitting to make it non-dimmable?

Think they're talking ********.

Cheers

Dave R

It certainly seems strange. Dimmability is generally a function of the bulb
unless it is florescent fitting which it doesnt seem to be.

On the face of it, your assessment seems valid ;-)

As a side comment, the plethora of bulb types is a nightmare. We have some
fittings which we especially like in a couple of rooms which are designed
for €˜golf ball 40W conventional bulbs. Weve had them about 20 years but
they are perfect for the rooms they are in etc and have dimmers. Try as I
might, I cant find dimmable LED replacements which have a true equivalent
light output. Ones with a lower output yes but not true equivalent.