Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Anyone clued up on shrubs?

I want a shrub,

About 6 foot high, columnar rather then the spread out sort,

Happy to grow in shade,

Preferably fragrant.

Any input.....Ta.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/10/2019 10:35, R D S wrote:
I want a shrub,

About 6 foot high, columnar rather then the spread out sort,

Happy to grow in shade,

Preferably fragrant.

Any input.....Ta.

Mmm shade is the problem

Bay perhaps - quite fast growing.
If you want flowers look at various viburnums.

All will need clipping tho except Irish yew which will need topping instead

Aucuba is shade tolerant. So is box, but it takes forever to grow.

Osmanthus is easy to keep clipped and has nice flowers in spring

What soil?

--
€śThere are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isnt true; the
other is to refuse to believe what is true.€ť

€”Soren Kierkegaard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 12 October 2019 10:35:36 UTC+1, R D S wrote:
I want a shrub,

About 6 foot high, columnar rather then the spread out sort,

Happy to grow in shade,

Preferably fragrant.

Any input.....Ta.

Shade is very limiting. Partial, full, how much shade?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 12 October 2019 10:35:36 UTC+1, R D S wrote:
I want a shrub,

About 6 foot high, columnar rather then the spread out sort,

Happy to grow in shade,

Preferably fragrant.

Any input.....Ta.

Holly grows in shade. Think of bushes with very dark green leaves (lots of chlorophyl.)

Rhodedendrum. Bay
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 12 October 2019 10:35:36 UTC+1, R D S wrote:
I want a shrub,

About 6 foot high, columnar rather then the spread out sort,

Happy to grow in shade,

Preferably fragrant.

Any input.....Ta.

Not fragrant, but... Hydrangea macrophylla 'Madame Emile Mouillère'

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/10/2019 10:35, R D S wrote:
I want a shrub,

About 6 foot high, columnar rather then the spread out sort,

Happy to grow in shade,

Preferably fragrant.

Any input.....Ta.

I expect some of the regular posters here would meet that spec!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/10/2019 12:37, Chris Hogg wrote:

Not such an easy question to answer. As TNP says, shade is the
problem. Lots of possibilities for shrubs that do well in good light
or sunshine, but not so many for shade, given your other requirements
of habit, flowering and fragrance.

With taller plants/shrubs I've wondered about the definition of shade.
Up against or a few metres away from a fence the lower part of the shrub
may be in full shade but the top of the shrub above 1.5 metres could be
in full sun during much of the day. Would a shrub recommended for full
sun be OK be suitable once it had grown tall enough (or purchased at a
1.5 metre height)?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"alan_m" wrote in message
On 12/10/2019 12:37, Chris Hogg wrote:

Not such an easy question to answer. As TNP says, shade is the
problem. Lots of possibilities for shrubs that do well in good light
or sunshine, but not so many for shade, given your other requirements
of habit, flowering and fragrance.

With taller plants/shrubs I've wondered about the definition of shade. Up
against or a few metres away from a fence the lower part of the shrub may
be in full shade but the top of the shrub above 1.5 metres could be in
full sun during much of the day. Would a shrub recommended for full sun be
OK be suitable once it had grown tall enough (or purchased at a 1.5 metre
height)?

But if it doesnt like shade, it might not ever grow tall enough to get into
the sun.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Mon, 14 Oct 2019 05:18:28 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

With taller plants/shrubs I've wondered about the definition of shade. Up
against or a few metres away from a fence the lower part of the shrub may
be in full shade but the top of the shrub above 1.5 metres could be in
full sun during much of the day. Would a shrub recommended for full sun be
OK be suitable once it had grown tall enough (or purchased at a 1.5 metre
height)?

But if it doesn˘t like shade, it might not ever grow tall enough to get into
the sun.

He never talked about growing it from when it was still below the fence, you
senile idiot! And you KNEW it! You simply HAD to smartass again, you lonely,
sleepless, senile pest from Oz!

"That˘s because so much **** and ****e emanates from your gob that there is
and the end of prick is only clear because you are such a ******."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/10/2019 17:01, harry wrote:

Holly grows in shade. Think of bushes with very dark green leaves (lots of chlorophyl.)

We got a holly tree (Ilex) as it happens, supposed to be prune free,
should provide flowers and berries but I think I may need a male one
nearby for that to happen...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/10/2019 17:00, R D S wrote:
On 12/10/2019 17:01, harry wrote:

Holly grows in shade. Think of bushes with very dark green leaves
(lots of chlorophyl.)

We got a holly tree (Ilex) as it happens, supposed to be prune free,
should provide flowers and berries but I think I may need a male one
nearby for that to happen...

about 1-2" a year...

--
€śIdeas are inherently conservative. They yield not to the attack of
other ideas but to the massive onslaught of circumstance"

- John K Galbraith

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/10/2019 17:48, Chris Hogg wrote:

Do you know the sex of your tree?
If you know the name of it, be aware that 'Golden King' is female, and
'Golden Queen ' is male. All very contemporary!

It is a female King.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , John
Rumm writes
On 12/10/2019 10:35, R D S wrote:
I want a shrub,
About 6 foot high, columnar rather then the spread out sort,
Happy to grow in shade,
Preferably fragrant.
Any input.....Ta.

I expect some of the regular posters here would meet that spec!

You could try uk.rec.gardening
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

If you want flowers look at various viburnums.

Some of them end up almost as big as trees. Choose carefully.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/10/2019 11:13, Andrew wrote:
If you want flowers look at various viburnums.

Some of them end up almost as big as trees. Choose carefully.

Only if you dont cut them.

same as cotoneasters. Some are effing huge

--
"If you dont read the news paper, you are un-informed. If you read the
news paper, you are mis-informed."

Mark Twain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/10/2019 21:57, bert wrote:
In article , John
Rumm writes
On 12/10/2019 10:35, R D S wrote:
I want a shrub,
Â*About 6 foot high, columnar rather then the spread out sort,
Â*Happy to grow in shade,
Â*Preferably fragrant.
Â*Any input.....Ta.

I expect some of the regular posters here would meet that spec!

You could try uk.rec.gardening

I think that may have been a "woosh"...

--
Cheers,