DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   2nd kitchen circuit?? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/640372-2nd-kitchen-circuit.html)

[email protected] September 30th 19 05:56 PM

2nd kitchen circuit??

Hi All,

Current load on kitchen ring 32A MCB) is

Wishdosher, washing machine, tumble drier, fridge freezer, kettle, toaster, microwave, I think thats most of the regular appliances.

I was wondering about moving say the wishdosher and washing machine onto a radial. I could easily reroute an unused 2.5mm T&E into the kitchen and connect the other end to a new 16 or 20 A MCB (or have a part P person do so)..

What does the team think?

[email protected] September 30th 19 06:55 PM

2nd kitchen circuit??

What I have done is:

Ring circuit for the above counter sockets on a 32A RCBO

Another Ring circuit for the utility room washing machine, the under counter dishwasher, freezer and fridge on switched fused neon connection unit wallplates on a 32A RCBO.

S.

[email protected] September 30th 19 07:05 PM

2nd kitchen circuit??

The two ring thing sounds ideal, but I cant easily get a second 2.5mm into the kitchen in order order to make a ring (I could possibly use a pre existing unused 6mm for half of the ring, but Id rather save that cable for possible future projects.)

ARW September 30th 19 07:28 PM

2nd kitchen circuit??

On 30/09/2019 19:05, wrote:
The two ring thing sounds ideal, but I cant easily get a second 2.5mm into the kitchen in order order to make a ring (I could possibly use a pre existing unused 6mm for half of the ring, but Id rather save that cable for possible future projects.)

I would just move one appliance to the radial.

What gets the longest high electrical load in your kitchen?

In my house it would be the tumble drier.

--
Adam

[email protected] September 30th 19 07:48 PM

2nd kitchen circuit??

Thanks ADam, The Bumble is more difficult to get the radial to, but not impossible (Its not been switched on yet, but is perceived to be the last straw that might break the camels MCB).

John Rumm September 30th 19 08:53 PM

2nd kitchen circuit??

On 30/09/2019 17:56, wrote:
Hi All,

Current load on kitchen ring 32A MCB) is

Wishdosher, washing machine, tumble drier, fridge freezer, kettle,
toaster, microwave, I think thats most of the regular appliances.

Ignore the kettle and toaster since they are very short term loads in
most domestic situations.

I was wondering about moving say the wishdosher and washing machine
onto a radial. I could easily reroute an unused 2.5mm T&E into the
kitchen and connect the other end to a new 16 or 20 A MCB (or have a
part P person do so).

What does the team think?

Can't see any benefit to be honest.

--
Cheers,

John.

http://www.internode.co.uk |

newshound September 30th 19 09:04 PM

2nd kitchen circuit??

On 30/09/2019 17:56, wrote:
Hi All,

Current load on kitchen ring 32A MCB) is

Wishdosher, washing machine, tumble drier, fridge freezer, kettle, toaster, microwave, I think thats most of the regular appliances.

I was wondering about moving say the wishdosher and washing machine onto a radial. I could easily reroute an unused 2.5mm T&E into the kitchen and connect the other end to a new 16 or 20 A MCB (or have a part P person do so).

What does the team think?

OK I don't have the tumble dryer, but I have the rest (and more) and
have never blown the MCB.

ARW September 30th 19 09:04 PM

2nd kitchen circuit??

On 30/09/2019 19:48, wrote:
Thanks ADam, The Bumble is more difficult to get the radial to, but not impossible (Its not been switched on yet, but is perceived to be the last straw that might break the camels MCB).

Unless you have constant use from all machines at the same time the 32A
ring is fit for purpose.

Proper British engineering at it finest and only ******s that know ****
all about electrics complain about such a good installation:-)

--
Adam

[email protected] September 30th 19 09:29 PM

2nd kitchen circuit??

On Monday, 30 September 2019 17:56:26 UTC+1, wrote:
I was wondering about moving say the wishdosher and washing machine
onto a radial. I could easily reroute an unused 2.5mm T&E into
the kitchen and connect the other end to a new 16 or 20 A MCB (or
have a part P person do so).
What does the team think?

I wouldn't.

A wishdosher and a wothesclosher running together are likely to be more than 20A, albeit for a shortish period of time. In fact they probably shouldn't share a double socket.

Put everything on a 32A ring and you have diversity as long as the ring is correctly laid out and not lopsided with everything bunched together at one end.

If you have an electric cooker and can plug the kettle into the cooker control unit socket that gets a short-term 3kW load off the ring, if you're anxious. And means you can make a brew when the kitchen ring is off :-)

Owain

Robin September 30th 19 09:31 PM

2nd kitchen circuit??

On 30/09/2019 17:56, wrote:
Hi All,

Current load on kitchen ring 32A MCB) is

Wishdosher, washing machine, tumble drier, fridge freezer, kettle, toaster, microwave, I think thats most of the regular appliances.

I was wondering about moving say the wishdosher and washing machine onto a radial. I could easily reroute an unused 2.5mm T&E into the kitchen and connect the other end to a new 16 or 20 A MCB (or have a part P person do so).

What does the team think?

I think I'd let it be if they're not all at one end of a long ring, I'd
checked the connections are tight, and nothing looks burnt/baked

--
Robin

[email protected] September 30th 19 09:43 PM

2nd kitchen circuit??

On Monday, 30 September 2019 17:56:26 UTC+1, wrote:
Hi All,

Current load on kitchen ring 32A MCB) is

Wishdosher, washing machine, tumble drier, fridge freezer, kettle, toaster, microwave, I think thats most of the regular appliances.

I was wondering about moving say the wishdosher and washing machine onto a radial. I could easily reroute an unused 2.5mm T&E into the kitchen and connect the other end to a new 16 or 20 A MCB (or have a part P person do so).

What does the team think?

Are you getting mcb trips? If not... 32A rings routinely supply much more than 32A.

NT

Harry Bloomfield, Esq. September 30th 19 10:07 PM

2nd kitchen circuit??

was thinking very hard :
Current load on kitchen ring 32A MCB) is

Wishdosher, washing machine, tumble drier, fridge freezer, kettle, toaster,
microwave, I think thats most of the regular appliances.

Diversity!

Commander Kinsey September 30th 19 10:21 PM

2nd kitchen circuit??

On Mon, 30 Sep 2019 21:29:16 +0100, wrote:

On Monday, 30 September 2019 17:56:26 UTC+1, wrote:
I was wondering about moving say the wishdosher and washing machine
onto a radial. I could easily reroute an unused 2.5mm T&E into
the kitchen and connect the other end to a new 16 or 20 A MCB (or
have a part P person do so).
What does the team think?

I wouldn't.

A wishdosher and a wothesclosher running together are likely to be more than 20A, albeit for a shortish period of time. In fact they probably shouldn't share a double socket.

Double sockets really should be able to handle 26A. MK ones can I believe. It should be illegal to make one that can't. Quite likely for someone, especially in a kitchen, to use two 13A loads for a long time.

Commander Kinsey September 30th 19 10:22 PM

2nd kitchen circuit??

On Mon, 30 Sep 2019 22:07:17 +0100, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

was thinking very hard :
Current load on kitchen ring 32A MCB) is

Wishdosher, washing machine, tumble drier, fridge freezer, kettle, toaster,
microwave, I think thats most of the regular appliances.

Diversity!

Is stupidity. You never know what you're going to use at once in he future.

Brian Gaff October 1st 19 08:17 AM

2nd kitchen circuit??

I'd love a wishdosher, what do they do?
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!

Brian Reay[_6_] October 1st 19 10:11 AM

2nd kitchen circuit??

On 30/09/2019 21:04, newshound wrote:
On 30/09/2019 17:56, wrote:
Hi All,

Current load on kitchen ring 32A MCB) is

Wishdosher, washing machine, tumble drier, fridge freezer, kettle,
toaster, microwave, I think thats most of the regular appliances.

I was wondering about moving say the wishdosher and washing machine
onto a radial.Â* I could easily reroute an unused 2.5mm T&E into the
kitchen and connect the other end to a new 16 or 20 A MCB (or have a
part P person do so).

What does the team think?

OK I don't have the tumble dryer, but I have the rest (and more) and
have never blown the MCB.

We had our kitchen refitted several years back and part of the package
included a CU upgrade and adding radials for extra oven, induction hob
etc. We've got radials for each oven (2), induction hob (1), the
dishwasher and a fridge, a freeze, plus the sockets etc on a shared ring
which also serves the dining room. The washing machine is elsewhere (in
a utility area). We've never had a problem. One oven is a 'combi'
(microwave +oven) - although we rarely use the uWave. We use a free
standing uWave to heat milk mainly for coffee etc.

Rod Speed October 1st 19 10:19 AM

2nd kitchen circuit??

Brian Gaff wrote

I'd love a wishdosher,

Well you cant have one, you have been a very naughty boy, as always.

what do they do?

They take you wishes and turn them into dosh, silly.

No go to your room until you can behave yourself.

Robin October 1st 19 10:30 AM

2nd kitchen circuit??

On 30/09/2019 17:56, wrote:
Hi All,

Current load on kitchen ring 32A MCB) is

Wishdosher, washing machine, tumble drier, fridge freezer, kettle,
toaster, microwave, I think thats most of the regular appliances.

I was wondering about moving say the wishdosher and washing machine
onto a radial.Â* I could easily reroute an unused 2.5mm T&E into the
kitchen and connect the other end to a new 16 or 20 A MCB (or have a
part P person do so).

What does the team think?

OK I don't have the tumble dryer, but I have the rest (and more) and
have never blown the MCB.

We had our kitchen refitted several years back and part of the package
included a CU upgrade and adding radials for extra oven, induction hob
etc.Â* We've got radials for each oven (2), induction hob (1), the
dishwasher and a fridge, a freeze, plus the sockets etc on a shared ring
which also serves the dining room. The washing machine is elsewhere (in
a utility area). We've never had a problem. One oven is a 'combi'
(microwave +oven) - although we rarely use the uWave. We use a free
standing uWave to heat milk mainly for coffee etc.

You've 5 radials for the kitchen?!?

--
Robin

Dave Plowman (News) October 1st 19 10:35 AM

2nd kitchen circuit??

In article ,
wrote:
Put everything on a 32A ring and you have diversity as long as the ring
is correctly laid out and not lopsided with everything bunched together
at one end.

So you're saying the cable at the other end might as well not be there?

--
*The first rule of holes: If you are in one, stop digging!

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Dave Plowman (News) October 1st 19 10:38 AM

2nd kitchen circuit??

In article ,
Brian Reay wrote:
We had our kitchen refitted several years back and part of the package
included a CU upgrade and adding radials for extra oven, induction hob
etc. We've got radials for each oven (2), induction hob (1), the
dishwasher and a fridge, a freeze, plus the sockets etc on a shared ring
which also serves the dining room. The washing machine is elsewhere (in
a utility area). We've never had a problem. One oven is a 'combi'
(microwave +oven) - although we rarely use the uWave. We use a free
standing uWave to heat milk mainly for coffee etc.

Why would you install a radial for things like a fridge and freezer?

--
*I used to be a banker, but then I lost interest.*

[email protected] October 1st 19 10:44 AM

2nd kitchen circuit??

On Tuesday, 1 October 2019 10:37:52 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Put everything on a 32A ring and you have diversity as long as the ring
is correctly laid out and not lopsided with everything bunched together
at one end.

So you're saying the cable at the other end might as well not be there?

No I'm not, but you want to avoid more than two-thirds / one-third imbalance at maximum load.

Owain

Dave Plowman (News) October 1st 19 11:05 AM

2nd kitchen circuit??

In article ,
wrote:
On Tuesday, 1 October 2019 10:37:52 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Put everything on a 32A ring and you have diversity as long as the ring
is correctly laid out and not lopsided with everything bunched together
at one end.

So you're saying the cable at the other end might as well not be there?

No I'm not, but you want to avoid more than two-thirds / one-third imbalance at maximum load.

For how long? Remember rings are designed for transient loading. If you
have a high long term load like say a water heater or space heating, you
use a dedicated radial.

--
*Dancing is a perpendicular expression of a horizontal desire *

Chris Green October 1st 19 11:13 AM

2nd kitchen circuit??

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

Why would you install a radial for things like a fridge and freezer?

To minimise the chance of the circuit protection tripping and
defrosting the freezer contents. I have a dedicated circuit running
the freezer in the garage for just this reason.

--
Chris Green
·

Peeler[_4_] October 1st 19 11:29 AM

Lonely Psychopathic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!

On Tue, 1 Oct 2019 19:19:36 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH more of the senile asshole's usual troll****

cretin from Oz:

Robin October 1st 19 12:08 PM

2nd kitchen circuit??

On 01/10/2019 10:44, wrote:
On Tuesday, 1 October 2019 10:37:52 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Put everything on a 32A ring and you have diversity as long as the ring
is correctly laid out and not lopsided with everything bunched together
at one end.

So you're saying the cable at the other end might as well not be there?

No I'm not, but you want to avoid more than two-thirds / one-third imbalance at maximum load.

+1

Well, expect that two-thirds / one-third may show your age - but also
your good memory :) It's now "no more than 20A in either limb". See
under "Installation rules" in
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Ring_circuit

--
Robin

[email protected] October 1st 19 12:14 PM

2nd kitchen circuit??

Hmmm......

I am wavering between leaving it all on the ring....
Nah!

Putting in two radials (one on each aforementioned T&E, fed by RCBOs.

One for the Bumble, and one for the F/F.

[email protected] October 1st 19 12:55 PM

2nd kitchen circuit??

Having the freezer and fridge on its own radial and hence its own RCBO means higher integrity when other circuits open their MCB or RCD...... And no spoiled food to throw away!

Dave Plowman (News) October 1st 19 01:41 PM

2nd kitchen circuit??

In article ,
wrote:
Having the freezer and fridge on its own radial and hence its own RCBO
means higher integrity when other circuits open their MCB or RCD......
And no spoiled food to throw away!

Do MCBs etc in your house often trip when you're out?

In some ways you're less likely to notice this happen if you have a
dedicated circuit for the freezer.

--
*Starfishes have no brains *

[email protected] October 1st 19 02:43 PM

2nd kitchen circuit??

MCBs rarely trip in my house, nor RCDs or RCBOs.

But, all kitchen sockets are currently on the same RCD (though a different MCB) to the 16A socket in the garden which has a 16 A extension cable plugged into it 24/7.

Brian Reay[_6_] October 1st 19 02:52 PM

2nd kitchen circuit??

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Brian Reay wrote:
We had our kitchen refitted several years back and part of the package
included a CU upgrade and adding radials for extra oven, induction hob
etc. We've got radials for each oven (2), induction hob (1), the
dishwasher and a fridge, a freeze, plus the sockets etc on a shared ring
which also serves the dining room. The washing machine is elsewhere (in
a utility area). We've never had a problem. One oven is a 'combi'
(microwave +oven) - although we rarely use the uWave. We use a free
standing uWave to heat milk mainly for coffee etc.

Why would you install a radial for things like a fridge and freezer?

They are in the ring. Perhaps it is list isnt clear.

There are 3 radials, 2 ovens + 1 hob, and a ring. The ring also covers
some other sockets in the dining room and, I think, one in the hall.

Terry Casey October 1st 19 03:09 PM

2nd kitchen circuit??

In article , briang1
@blueyonder.co.uk says...

I'd love a wishdosher, what do they do?
Brian

Dosh wishes, of course!

--

Terry

---
https://www.avg.com

[email protected] October 1st 19 03:21 PM

2nd kitchen circuit??

On Tuesday, 1 October 2019 12:14:54 UTC+1, wrote:
I am wavering between leaving it all on the ring....
Nah!
Putting in two radials (one on each aforementioned T&E, fed by RCBOs.
One for the Bumble, and one for the F/F.

If you join the ends of those radials together you can make a 32A ring.

And save the cost of a second RCBO.

Owain

[email protected] October 1st 19 07:18 PM

2nd kitchen circuit??

Yeah, maybe a second very small ring is the way to go....

I used to be indecisive!

ARW October 1st 19 10:06 PM

2nd kitchen circuit??

On 30/09/2019 17:56, wrote:
[...]

TMH's daughter got three.

Oven, hob and fridge freezer.

Four if you count the boiler (not a kitchen appliance but it is in the
kitchen).

All RCBOs in a 3 bed terraced house.

--
Adam

[email protected] October 1st 19 10:19 PM

2nd kitchen circuit??

Hmm... Then again, Ive just remembered a lightly loaded existing circuit passes through the loft over the kitchen.....

Perhaps Ill spur the bumble off that, and add a separate Socket for the F/F on RCBO using the spare 2.5T&E at a future date.

(Yes, I know it would probably never trip the ring MCB if it stayed where it was (unless we plug the cement mixer in at the same time), but Id rather not have the circuit stretched.
(Especially as Im unsure of its precise topology, etc).

ARW October 1st 19 10:27 PM

2nd kitchen circuit??

In article ,
wrote:
Having the freezer and fridge on its own radial and hence its own RCBO
means higher integrity when other circuits open their MCB or RCD......
And no spoiled food to throw away!

Do MCBs etc in your house often trip when you're out?

In some ways you're less likely to notice this happen if you have a
dedicated circuit for the freezer.

You said freezer and not fridge freezer.

--
Adam

[email protected] October 2nd 19 08:30 AM

2nd kitchen circuit??

On Tuesday, 1 October 2019 22:19:27 UTC+1, wrote:
(Yes, I know it would probably never trip the ring MCB if it stayed
where it was (unless we plug the cement mixer in at the same time)

That's a serious kitchen appliance.

Or a euphemism for your wife's cake making?

Owain

Dave Plowman (News) October 2nd 19 11:00 AM

2nd kitchen circuit??

In article ,
ARW wrote:
You've 5 radials for the kitchen?!?

TMH's daughter got three.

Oven, hob and fridge freezer.

Do you need separate radials for oven and hob, rather than one suitably
rated for both?

--
*Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it*

Dave Plowman (News) October 2nd 19 11:02 AM

2nd kitchen circuit??

In article ,
ARW wrote:
In article ,
wrote:
Having the freezer and fridge on its own radial and hence its own RCBO
means higher integrity when other circuits open their MCB or RCD......
And no spoiled food to throw away!

Do MCBs etc in your house often trip when you're out?

In some ways you're less likely to notice this happen if you have a
dedicated circuit for the freezer.

You said freezer and not fridge freezer.

The OP didn't say fridge freezer either. ;-)

--
*Time is the best teacher; unfortunately it kills all its students.