Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 2nd kitchen circuit??

Hi All,

Current load on kitchen ring 32A MCB) is

Wishdosher, washing machine, tumble drier, fridge freezer, kettle, toaster, microwave, I think thats most of the regular appliances.

I was wondering about moving say the wishdosher and washing machine onto a radial. I could easily reroute an unused 2.5mm T&E into the kitchen and connect the other end to a new 16 or 20 A MCB (or have a part P person do so)..

What does the team think?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

What I have done is:

Ring circuit for the above counter sockets on a 32A RCBO

Another Ring circuit for the utility room washing machine, the under counter dishwasher, freezer and fridge on switched fused neon connection unit wallplates on a 32A RCBO.

S.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The two ring thing sounds ideal, but I cant easily get a second 2.5mm into the kitchen in order order to make a ring (I could possibly use a pre existing unused 6mm for half of the ring, but Id rather save that cable for possible future projects.)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks ADam, The Bumble is more difficult to get the radial to, but not impossible (Its not been switched on yet, but is perceived to be the last straw that might break the camels MCB).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 30 September 2019 17:56:26 UTC+1, wrote:
I was wondering about moving say the wishdosher and washing machine
onto a radial. I could easily reroute an unused 2.5mm T&E into
the kitchen and connect the other end to a new 16 or 20 A MCB (or
have a part P person do so).
What does the team think?

I wouldn't.

A wishdosher and a wothesclosher running together are likely to be more than 20A, albeit for a shortish period of time. In fact they probably shouldn't share a double socket.

Put everything on a 32A ring and you have diversity as long as the ring is correctly laid out and not lopsided with everything bunched together at one end.

If you have an electric cooker and can plug the kettle into the cooker control unit socket that gets a short-term 3kW load off the ring, if you're anxious. And means you can make a brew when the kitchen ring is off :-)

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 30 September 2019 17:56:26 UTC+1, wrote:
Hi All,

Current load on kitchen ring 32A MCB) is

Wishdosher, washing machine, tumble drier, fridge freezer, kettle, toaster, microwave, I think thats most of the regular appliances.

I was wondering about moving say the wishdosher and washing machine onto a radial. I could easily reroute an unused 2.5mm T&E into the kitchen and connect the other end to a new 16 or 20 A MCB (or have a part P person do so).

What does the team think?

Are you getting mcb trips? If not... 32A rings routinely supply much more than 32A.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 30 Sep 2019 21:29:16 +0100, wrote:

On Monday, 30 September 2019 17:56:26 UTC+1, wrote:
I was wondering about moving say the wishdosher and washing machine
onto a radial. I could easily reroute an unused 2.5mm T&E into
the kitchen and connect the other end to a new 16 or 20 A MCB (or
have a part P person do so).
What does the team think?

I wouldn't.

A wishdosher and a wothesclosher running together are likely to be more than 20A, albeit for a shortish period of time. In fact they probably shouldn't share a double socket.

Double sockets really should be able to handle 26A. MK ones can I believe. It should be illegal to make one that can't. Quite likely for someone, especially in a kitchen, to use two 13A loads for a long time.

Put everything on a 32A ring and you have diversity as long as the ring is correctly laid out and not lopsided with everything bunched together at one end.

If you have an electric cooker and can plug the kettle into the cooker control unit socket that gets a short-term 3kW load off the ring, if you're anxious. And means you can make a brew when the kitchen ring is off :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote

I'd love a wishdosher,

Well you cant have one, you have been a very naughty boy, as always.

what do they do?

They take you wishes and turn them into dosh, silly.

No go to your room until you can behave yourself.

wrote in message
Hi All,

Current load on kitchen ring 32A MCB) is

Wishdosher, washing machine, tumble drier, fridge freezer, kettle,
toaster, microwave, I think that's most of the regular appliances.

I was wondering about moving say the wishdosher and washing machine onto a
radial. I could easily reroute an unused 2.5mm T&E into the kitchen and
connect the other end to a new 16 or 20 A MCB (or have a part P person do
so).

What does the team think?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
Put everything on a 32A ring and you have diversity as long as the ring
is correctly laid out and not lopsided with everything bunched together
at one end.

So you're saying the cable at the other end might as well not be there?

--
*The first rule of holes: If you are in one, stop digging!

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Brian Reay wrote:
We had our kitchen refitted several years back and part of the package
included a CU upgrade and adding radials for extra oven, induction hob
etc. We've got radials for each oven (2), induction hob (1), the
dishwasher and a fridge, a freeze, plus the sockets etc on a shared ring
which also serves the dining room. The washing machine is elsewhere (in
a utility area). We've never had a problem. One oven is a 'combi'
(microwave +oven) - although we rarely use the uWave. We use a free
standing uWave to heat milk mainly for coffee etc.

Why would you install a radial for things like a fridge and freezer?

--
*I used to be a banker, but then I lost interest.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 1 October 2019 10:37:52 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Put everything on a 32A ring and you have diversity as long as the ring
is correctly laid out and not lopsided with everything bunched together
at one end.

So you're saying the cable at the other end might as well not be there?

No I'm not, but you want to avoid more than two-thirds / one-third imbalance at maximum load.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
On Tuesday, 1 October 2019 10:37:52 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Put everything on a 32A ring and you have diversity as long as the ring
is correctly laid out and not lopsided with everything bunched together
at one end.

So you're saying the cable at the other end might as well not be there?

No I'm not, but you want to avoid more than two-thirds / one-third imbalance at maximum load.

For how long? Remember rings are designed for transient loading. If you
have a high long term load like say a water heater or space heating, you
use a dedicated radial.

--
*Dancing is a perpendicular expression of a horizontal desire *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

Why would you install a radial for things like a fridge and freezer?

To minimise the chance of the circuit protection tripping and
defrosting the freezer contents. I have a dedicated circuit running
the freezer in the garage for just this reason.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 1 Oct 2019 19:19:36 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH more of the senile asshole's usual troll****

cretin from Oz:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hmmm......

I am wavering between leaving it all on the ring....
Nah!

Putting in two radials (one on each aforementioned T&E, fed by RCBOs.

One for the Bumble, and one for the F/F.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Having the freezer and fridge on its own radial and hence its own RCBO means higher integrity when other circuits open their MCB or RCD...... And no spoiled food to throw away!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
Having the freezer and fridge on its own radial and hence its own RCBO
means higher integrity when other circuits open their MCB or RCD......
And no spoiled food to throw away!

Do MCBs etc in your house often trip when you're out?

In some ways you're less likely to notice this happen if you have a
dedicated circuit for the freezer.

--
*Starfishes have no brains *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

MCBs rarely trip in my house, nor RCDs or RCBOs.

But, all kitchen sockets are currently on the same RCD (though a different MCB) to the 16A socket in the garden which has a 16 A extension cable plugged into it 24/7.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Brian Reay wrote:
We had our kitchen refitted several years back and part of the package
included a CU upgrade and adding radials for extra oven, induction hob
etc. We've got radials for each oven (2), induction hob (1), the
dishwasher and a fridge, a freeze, plus the sockets etc on a shared ring
which also serves the dining room. The washing machine is elsewhere (in
a utility area). We've never had a problem. One oven is a 'combi'
(microwave +oven) - although we rarely use the uWave. We use a free
standing uWave to heat milk mainly for coffee etc.

Why would you install a radial for things like a fridge and freezer?

They are in the ring. Perhaps it is list isnt clear.

There are 3 radials, 2 ovens + 1 hob, and a ring. The ring also covers
some other sockets in the dining room and, I think, one in the hall.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , briang1
@blueyonder.co.uk says...

I'd love a wishdosher, what do they do?
Brian

Dosh wishes, of course!

--

Terry

---
https://www.avg.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 1 October 2019 12:14:54 UTC+1, wrote:
I am wavering between leaving it all on the ring....
Nah!
Putting in two radials (one on each aforementioned T&E, fed by RCBOs.
One for the Bumble, and one for the F/F.

If you join the ends of those radials together you can make a 32A ring.

And save the cost of a second RCBO.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yeah, maybe a second very small ring is the way to go....

I used to be indecisive!
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 01/10/2019 10:30, Robin wrote:
On 01/10/2019 10:11, Brian Reay wrote:
On 30/09/2019 21:04, newshound wrote:
On 30/09/2019 17:56, wrote:
Hi All,

Current load on kitchen ring 32A MCB) is

Wishdosher, washing machine, tumble drier, fridge freezer, kettle,
toaster, microwave, I think thats most of the regular appliances.

I was wondering about moving say the wishdosher and washing machine
onto a radial.Â* I could easily reroute an unused 2.5mm T&E into the
kitchen and connect the other end to a new 16 or 20 A MCB (or have a
part P person do so).

What does the team think?

OK I don't have the tumble dryer, but I have the rest (and more) and
have never blown the MCB.

We had our kitchen refitted several years back and part of the package
included a CU upgrade and adding radials for extra oven, induction hob
etc.Â* We've got radials for each oven (2), induction hob (1), the
dishwasher and a fridge, a freeze, plus the sockets etc on a shared
ring which also serves the dining room. The washing machine is
elsewhere (in a utility area). We've never had a problem. One oven is
a 'combi' (microwave +oven) - although we rarely use the uWave. We use
a free standing uWave to heat milk mainly for coffee etc.

You've 5 radials for the kitchen?!?

TMH's daughter got three.

Oven, hob and fridge freezer.

Four if you count the boiler (not a kitchen appliance but it is in the
kitchen).

All RCBOs in a 3 bed terraced house.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hmm... Then again, Ive just remembered a lightly loaded existing circuit passes through the loft over the kitchen.....

Perhaps Ill spur the bumble off that, and add a separate Socket for the F/F on RCBO using the spare 2.5T&E at a future date.

(Yes, I know it would probably never trip the ring MCB if it stayed where it was (unless we plug the cement mixer in at the same time), but Id rather not have the circuit stretched.
(Especially as Im unsure of its precise topology, etc).

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

In article ,
wrote:
Having the freezer and fridge on its own radial and hence its own RCBO
means higher integrity when other circuits open their MCB or RCD......
And no spoiled food to throw away!

Do MCBs etc in your house often trip when you're out?

In some ways you're less likely to notice this happen if you have a
dedicated circuit for the freezer.

You said freezer and not fridge freezer.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 1 October 2019 22:19:27 UTC+1, wrote:
(Yes, I know it would probably never trip the ring MCB if it stayed
where it was (unless we plug the cement mixer in at the same time)

That's a serious kitchen appliance.

Or a euphemism for your wife's cake making?

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
ARW wrote:
You've 5 radials for the kitchen?!?

TMH's daughter got three.

Oven, hob and fridge freezer.

Do you need separate radials for oven and hob, rather than one suitably
rated for both?

--
*Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
ARW wrote:
In article ,
wrote:
Having the freezer and fridge on its own radial and hence its own RCBO
means higher integrity when other circuits open their MCB or RCD......
And no spoiled food to throw away!

Do MCBs etc in your house often trip when you're out?

In some ways you're less likely to notice this happen if you have a
dedicated circuit for the freezer.

You said freezer and not fridge freezer.

The OP didn't say fridge freezer either. ;-)

--
*Time is the best teacher; unfortunately it kills all its students.