Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default What do I actually need a TV Licence for?

I am finding the BBC increasingly naff. It spends as much time on
adverts for its own programmes as ITV does on commercials. Also it
wasted money on things like outside broadcasting where it adds nothing
to the program. Does it matter if an interview is carried on inside the
studio or outside the,say, Old Bailey? So what can I a and can't I watch
without a licence?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 26 September 2019 11:10:41 UTC+1, Broadback wrote:
So what can I a and can't I watch without a licence?

https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/09/2019 14:11, David wrote:
On Thursday, 26 September 2019 11:10:41 UTC+1, Broadback wrote:
So what can I a and can't I watch without a licence?

https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one

The gotcha is you cant even watch the wank channels legally without a
license.

Lucas Bergkamp
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 26 September 2019 11:10:41 UTC+1, BroadbackÂ* wrote:
So what can I a and can't I watch without a licence?

https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one

The gotcha is you cant even watch the wank channels legally without a
license.

I've been informed in an email from TV licensing, that you do not need a
TV license to watch pre-recorded material from a USB memory stick.
The use of BBC iPlayer also needs a TV license.
But if you're into BBC programmes, you don't need to use BBC iPlayer to
download BBC programmes.

So anything that goes onto the BBC catchup service can be watched
without needing a license.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

No the key thing is having equipment of receiving any bbc channel, this
means an internet browser or mobile phone etc as well as normal receivers.
It means catch up as well as at time of transmission. Blame the delay in
distribution for that one as somebody suggested that the time it took
amounted to it no longer being live.
Sadly for them though, its decriminalised so its a bit like a judgement in
a civil court. They have to get the money out of you. I think its debatable
whether they can confiscate any equipment these days.
The thing is though that unless you are behind a van of some sort its not
rocket science to trace you. Its harder to find off air viewers as there are
not the old tell tale signals to use by directional aerials on a van.

Besides these were never viable as other than making a public statement.
Catch a couple in the street and at least it used to make others think
twice.
I suppose when Britbox launches, all the good stuff will be on there first
and some revenue will be generated. However the massive number of companies
all now wanting to get about ten quid out of you for their stuff will, in
the end backfire as nobody will be able to afford it and the bottom will
drop out of the market.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
On 26/09/2019 14:11, David wrote:
On Thursday, 26 September 2019 11:10:41 UTC+1, Broadback wrote:
So what can I a and can't I watch without a licence?

https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one

The gotcha is you cant even watch the wank channels legally without a
license.

Lucas Bergkamp

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Broadback wrote:
I am finding the BBC increasingly naff. It spends as much time on
adverts for its own programmes as ITV does on commercials.

That's a good start to your argument. Now get yourself a stop watch and
give some proof.

--
*IS THERE ANOTHER WORD FOR SYNONYM?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 26/09/2019 14:11, David wrote:
On Thursday, 26 September 2019 11:10:41 UTC+1, Broadback wrote:
So what can I a and can't I watch without a licence?

https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one

The gotcha is you cant even watch the wank channels legally without a
license.

I'd guess that a serious problem to you?

But I'd say you shouldn't watch them when writing things here. Others
might them be able to understand you.

--
*England has no kidney bank, but it does have a Liverpool.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Grumps wrote:
On 26/09/2019 14:11, David wrote:
On Thursday, 26 September 2019 11:10:41 UTC+1, Broadback wrote:
So what can I a and can't I watch without a licence?

https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one

The gotcha is you cant even watch the wank channels legally without a
license.

I've been informed in an email from TV licensing, that you do not need a
TV license to watch pre-recorded material from a USB memory stick.
The use of BBC iPlayer also needs a TV license.
But if you're into BBC programmes, you don't need to use BBC iPlayer to
download BBC programmes.

So anything that goes onto the BBC catchup service can be watched
without needing a license.

Plenty subscription channels that don't need the licence.

Assuming you understand the need to pay for things you want, that is.

--
*Learn from your parents' mistakes - use birth control.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/09/2019 11:10, Broadback wrote:
I am finding the BBC increasingly naff. It spends as much time on
adverts for its own programmes as ITV does on commercials. Also it
wasted money on things like outside broadcasting where it adds nothing
to the program. Does it matter if an interview is carried on inside the
studio or outside the,say, Old Bailey? So what can I a and can't I watch
without a licence?

you just can't...right
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote

No the key thing is having equipment of receiving any bbc channel, this
means an internet browser or mobile phone etc as well as normal receivers.

It isnt having the equipment that matters, its actually
using it to receive TV broadcasts or use iplayer etc.

Otherwise anyone with a smartphone or computer
would have to have a TV license and they don’t.

It means catch up as well as at time of transmission.

That’s very arguable with some forms of catchup.

Sadly for them though, its decriminalised so its a bit like a judgement in
a civil court. They have to get the money out of you. I think its
debatable whether they can confiscate any equipment these days.

It isnt debatable, they cant confiscate anything that can
be used to receive a TV broadcast, they have to prove that
you have actually used to to receive a TV broadcast and
even then they can't confiscate it even if they do prove that.

The thing is though that unless you are behind a van of some sort its not
rocket science to trace you.

It is actually when you stream it from the net or use iplayer.

Its harder to find off air viewers

Impossible actually.

as there are not the old tell tale signals to use by directional aerials
on a van.

Directional, not bidirectional. And those don’t
work when you record stuff off air from the TV
broadcast and watch it when it suits you time wise.

And they don’t use vans anymore anyway.

Besides these were never viable as other than making a public statement.
Catch a couple in the street and at least it used to make others think
twice.

Indeed.

I suppose when Britbox launches, all the good stuff will be on there first

There is already with Netflix etc.

and some revenue will be generated.

Lots actually.

However the massive number of companies all now wanting to get about ten
quid out of you for their stuff will, in the end backfire as nobody will
be able to afford it

Plenty clearly can with Netflix etc.

and the bottom will drop out of the market.

That’s not going to happen. The most that will happen is that
some are profitable and some will not be and will go broke. And
some like AppleTV and Netflix will do fine. Amazon too, likely.

On 26/09/2019 14:11, David wrote:
On Thursday, 26 September 2019 11:10:41 UTC+1, Broadback wrote:
So what can I a and can't I watch without a licence?

https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one

The gotcha is you cant even watch the wank channels legally without a
license.

Lucas Bergkamp

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrot1974
On 26/09/2019 14:11, David wrote:
On Thursday, 26 September 2019 11:10:41 UTC+1, BroadbackÂ* wrote:
So what can I a and can't I watch without a licence?

https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one

The gotcha is you cant even watch the wank channels legally without a
license.

Dunno why you put up with it, civilized countries like Australia ceased
radio and tv licenses in 1974
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/09/2019 06:35, FMurtz wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrot1974
On 26/09/2019 14:11, David wrote:
On Thursday, 26 September 2019 11:10:41 UTC+1, BroadbackÂ* wrote:
So what can I a and can't I watch without a licence?

https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one

The gotcha is you cant even watch the wank channels legally without a
license.

Dunno why you put up with it, civilized countries like Australia ceased
radio and tv licenses inÂ* 1974

I dont thinkj we will put up with it much longer.

I resent having to pay the BBC to watch sony movie channel.

If the government wants a private propaganda channel then it should fund
it directly out of taxation and be open about it.

all women"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" Wrote in message:
In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 26/09/2019 14:11, David wrote:
On Thursday, 26 September 2019 11:10:41 UTC+1, Broadback wrote:
So what can I a and can't I watch without a licence?

https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one

The gotcha is you cant even watch the wank channels legally without a
license.

I'd guess that a serious problem to you?

But I'd say you shouldn't watch them when writing things here. Others
might them be able to understand you.

Oh the irony :-D:-D:-D
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Grumps wrote:
On 26/09/2019 14:11, David wrote:
On Thursday, 26 September 2019 11:10:41 UTC+1, Broadback wrote:
So what can I a and can't I watch without a licence?

https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one

The gotcha is you cant even watch the wank channels legally without a
license.

I've been informed in an email from TV licensing, that you do not need a
TV license to watch pre-recorded material from a USB memory stick.
The use of BBC iPlayer also needs a TV license.
But if you're into BBC programmes, you don't need to use BBC iPlayer to
download BBC programmes.

So anything that goes onto the BBC catchup service can be watched
without needing a license.

Plenty subscription channels that don't need the licence.

Although there are none that allow watching live broadcasts without a
license.

Assuming you understand the need to pay for things you want, that is.

I think that may be the OP's original point. He does not WANT BBC
programming, but NEEDS to pay anyway.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 27 Sep 2019 12:23:18 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

No the key thing is having equipment of receiving any bbc channel, this
means an internet browser or mobile phone etc as well as normal receivers.

It isnt

FLUSH more of the clinically insane troll's auto-contradicting and fake
"expertise"

....and nothing's left!

cretin from Oz:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 27 September 2019 03:30:44 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
Brian Gaff wrote

No the key thing is having equipment of receiving any bbc channel, this
means an internet browser or mobile phone etc as well as normal receivers.

It isnt having the equipment that matters, its actually
using it to receive TV broadcasts or use iplayer etc.

No it isn't, and that is the point.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 27/09/2019 06:35, FMurtz wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrot1974
On 26/09/2019 14:11, David wrote:
On Thursday, 26 September 2019 11:10:41 UTC+1, BroadbackÂ* wrote:
So what can I a and can't I watch without a licence?

https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one

The gotcha is you cant even watch the wank channels legally without a
license.

Dunno why you put up with it, civilized countries like Australia
ceased radio and tv licenses inÂ* 1974

I dont thinkj we will put up with it much longer.

I resent having to pay the BBC to watch sony movie channel.

If the government wants a private propaganda channel then it should fund
it directly out of taxation and be open about it.

That is what we have done from 1947 (ABC)

Waste licence fine Matty F UK diy 8 July 14th 09 08:57 AM
OTish - small traders, Waste carrying licence? A.Lee UK diy 4 June 30th 07 02:39 PM
Printing the licence Father Kylesmas UK diy 6 January 20th 07 05:02 PM
Screwfix Descriptive Licence ..? Stuart UK diy 4 March 29th 06 11:16 AM
"Do I need a TV licence" a solution ? T i m UK diy 9 January 27th 05 10:04 PM