Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default What size DVDs will my CDROM cope with?

It is HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH245NSDO. I have 700MB ones, but these are not
large enough to make a Boot-able recovery disc with Acronis. so what are
the larges capacity DVDs that this drive will work with please?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Broadback wrote:

what are the larges capacity DVDs that this drive will work with please?

4.7GB
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:

Broadback wrote:

what are the larges capacity DVDs that this drive will work with please?

4.7GB

or even 8.5GB dual-layer discs

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/09/2019 13:10, Broadback wrote:
It is HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH245NSDO. I have 700MB ones, but these are not
large enough to make a Boot-able recovery disc with Acronis. so what are
the larges capacity DVDs that this drive will work with please?

https://www.ecma-international.org/p...T/Ecma-267.pdf

Page 11

"The disk shall have an overall diameter
d1 = 120,00 mm ± 0,30 mm "

:-p

Seriously, Single layer 4.7GB DVD-R should be sufficient, Acronis will
request additional disks if you backup extends above.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/09/2019 13:26, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
On 14/09/2019 13:10, Broadback wrote:
It is HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH245NSDO. I have 700MB ones, but these are not
large enough to make a Boot-able recovery disc with Acronis. so what
are the larges capacity DVDs that this drive will work with please?

https://www.ecma-international.org/p...T/Ecma-267.pdf

Page 11

"The disk shall have an overall diameter
d1 = 120,00 mm ± 0,30 mm "

:-p

Seriously, Single layer 4.7GB DVD-R should be sufficient, Acronis will
request additional disks if you backup extends above.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD

Many thanks for the information.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/09/2019 13:10, Broadback wrote:
It is HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH245NSDO. I have 700MB ones, but these are not
large enough to make a Boot-able recovery disc with Acronis. so what are
the larges capacity DVDs that this drive will work with please?

You should be able to make a Linux-based Acronis recovery disk ("Rescue
Media Builder / Advanced") if you can't fit WinPE or WinRE on a disk.

But booting Acronis Recovery from a USB drive is much quicker; 4GB
should be plenty big enough.

--
Reentrant
Posted to uk.d-i-y

DVDs are a little bit of a black art due to so many sorts and methods of
writing to them. You need it seems to get the type the drive likes or they
either won't work at all or just give a lower capacity.
Why did they make this so hellishly complicated, I wonder?
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Andy Burns wrote:

Broadback wrote:

what are the larges capacity DVDs that this drive will work with please?

4.7GB

or even 8.5GB dual-layer discs

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote

DVDs are a little bit of a black art due to so many sorts and methods of
writing to them. You need it seems to get the type the drive likes

Depends on the drive. The best of them are happy with most blanks.

or they either won't work at all or just give a lower capacity.

Why did they make this so hellishly complicated, I wonder?

Basically its harder to do right than with most technology.

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Andy Burns wrote:

Broadback wrote:

what are the larges capacity DVDs that this drive will work with
please?

4.7GB

or even 8.5GB dual-layer discs

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 16 Sep 2019 06:20:01 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH

Keep your troll**** out of normally evolved humans' ngs, senile troll!

cretin from Oz: