Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Slugs

Green (recycle) and black (general) bins sit side by side in a shelter
outdoors. This morning was green bin day and after emptying I spotted
no less than 12 slugs inside the bin. None at all on the black bin.
Anyone know why so many, why none on the black bin?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Harry Bloomfield
writes
Green (recycle) and black (general) bins sit side by side in a shelter
outdoors. This morning was green bin day and after emptying I spotted
no less than 12 slugs inside the bin. None at all on the black bin.
Anyone know why so many, why none on the black bin?

I think molluscs have an excellent sense of smell.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 10 September 2019 10:52:40 UTC+1, wrote:
Green (recycle) and black (general) bins sit side by side in a shelter
outdoors. This morning was green bin day and after emptying I spotted
no less than 12 slugs inside the bin. None at all on the black bin.
Anyone know why so many, why none on the black bin?

Racism ;-)

Ask Harry about that.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Hogg brought next idea :
On Tue, 10 Sep 2019 10:52:35 +0100, Harry Bloomfield, Esq.
wrote:

Green (recycle) and black (general) bins sit side by side in a shelter
outdoors. This morning was green bin day and after emptying I spotted
no less than 12 slugs inside the bin. None at all on the black bin.
Anyone know why so many, why none on the black bin?

What's the difference in the contents? Food waste? Garden waste? Or
perhaps the black bin, being black, gets hotter than the green one
when the sun shines on it (or vice-versa, whichever slugs prefer).

As I said green recycle is cardboard, plastics, tins and paper. Black
is everything else, food and general waste. Both under shelter, so no
direct sun and the same temperature.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/09/2019 10:52, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Green (recycle) and black (general) bins sit side by side in a shelter
outdoors. This morning was green bin day and after emptying I spotted no
less than 12 slugs inside the bin. None at all on the black bin. Anyone
know why so many, why none on the black bin?

Beer dregs mixed in with all the other bin juices?
I think beer either kills or repels slugs - you used to get 'slug pubs'
to put in your flower borders to get rid of slugs.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Green (recycle) and black (general) bins sit side by side in a
shelter outdoors. This morning was green bin day and after emptying I
spotted no less than 12 slugs inside the bin. None at all on the
black bin. Anyone know why so many, why none on the black bin?

What's the difference in the contents? Food waste? Garden waste? Or
perhaps the black bin, being black, gets hotter than the green one
when the sun shines on it (or vice-versa, whichever slugs prefer).

As I said green recycle is cardboard, plastics, tins and paper. Black is
everything else, food and general waste. Both under shelter, so no
direct sun and the same temperature.

Our bins are blue for recycling, and black for landfill - flies
congregate on the lid of the blue recycling one, and ignore the stinky
landfill one.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Bennet was thinking very hard :
Beer dregs mixed in with all the other bin juices?

No beery dregs here.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , S Viemeister
writes
wrote:

Green (recycle) and black (general) bins sit side by side in a
shelter outdoors. This morning was green bin day and after emptying I
spotted no less than 12 slugs inside the bin. None at all on the
black bin. Anyone know why so many, why none on the black bin?

What's the difference in the contents? Food waste? Garden waste? Or
perhaps the black bin, being black, gets hotter than the green one
when the sun shines on it (or vice-versa, whichever slugs prefer).

As I said green recycle is cardboard, plastics, tins and paper. Black is
everything else, food and general waste. Both under shelter, so no
direct sun and the same temperature.

Our bins are blue for recycling, and black for landfill - flies
congregate on the lid of the blue recycling one, and ignore the stinky
landfill one.

I think flies' eyes are particularly sensitive to the blue end of the
spectrum. Don't electric fly zappers have a UV neon tube to attract them
(looks blue to us humans)? I painted a garden seat with Cuprinol Sage
paint (which is a somewhat bluish darkish-green colour), and it often
was covered with flies.
--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 9/11/2019 4:23 PM, Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , S Viemeister

Our bins are blue for recycling, and black for landfill - flies
congregate on the lid of the blue recycling one, and ignore the stinky
landfill one.

I think flies' eyes are particularly sensitive to the blue end of the
spectrum. Don't electric fly zappers have a UV neon tube to attract them
(looks blue to us humans)? I painted a garden seat with Cuprinol Sage
paint (which is a somewhat bluish darkish-green colour), and it often
was covered with flies.

Hmm. I painted three garden benches with blue paint (marine/royal)- I
haven't noticed flies congregating on them the way they do on the
recycling bin, which is a lighter, very bright, blue.

Slugs in the shower jgharston[_2_] UK diy 17 March 21st 13 11:51 PM
Need Brass Disks/Slugs/Planchets Earl Metalworking 1 May 29th 06 05:16 AM
Tuning slugs [email protected] Electronics Repair 0 December 25th 05 12:28 AM
Mice, slugs, trails? Nat UK diy 6 June 29th 05 01:10 AM
Test equipment manuals & Wattmeter slugs for sale Cowboy67 Electronics 1 September 11th 03 02:50 AM