Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default This is how someone with a degree......

.....locks a gate.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=106...hZKejz2njIgQW-

I've always said that academic capability does not demonstrate intelligence.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 5 Sep 2019 22:20:01 +0100, R D S wrote:

....locks a gate.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=106...hZKejz2njIgQW-

I've always said that academic capability does not demonstrate intelligence.

Like er what's up with it?

Obviously he lost the key to a previous padlock and used what was
available after liberating the lock with the lost key.

Although the new lock looks high security and might well be. the
application isn't. If it's for a gate it will be to deter rather than
actively stop people.

A tool would be needed to remove the lock. A good heave would suffice
no doubt on the other side.

It just takes a little thought.

Did you vote for Brexit?

AB
Posted to uk.d-i-y

....locks a gate.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=106...hZKejz2njIgQW-

I've always said that academic capability does not demonstrate intelligence.

Art or science graduate?

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 05 Sep 2019 22:34:46 +0100, "Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp ESQ
[IRL]" wrote:

On Thu, 5 Sep 2019 22:20:01 +0100, R D S wrote:

....locks a gate.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=106...hZKejz2njIgQW-

I've always said that academic capability does not demonstrate intelligence.

Like er what's up with it?

Obviously he lost the key to a previous padlock and used what was
available after liberating the lock with the lost key.

I think he's trying to suggest that the hasp and lock should be fitted
to the top loop as the lower one has already been weakened by being
cut (as you have observed).

Although the new lock looks high security and might well be. the
application isn't. If it's for a gate it will be to deter rather than
actively stop people.

A tool would be needed to remove the lock.

But it might (now) be *easier* to remove from the bottom loop than the
top?

A good heave would suffice
no doubt on the other side.

Or with the body of the padlock sitting out on the hasp when on the
top loop, it might be easier to remove with a hammer than when on the
bottom?

The problem is that the hasp was welded to the gate so not easy to
replace now 'damaged'.

I have access though a gate with a similar hasp because whilst the
padlock is strong enough to resist anyone without some tools, it's not
big enough to stop you threading the bolt loop over the top of the
(locked) padlock doh.

I don't suppose 'most people' would think to try as they would assume
it was locked.

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[IRL]" wrote:

[...]

I use a sprung hook, bought from Lidl. I only use it when departing
home for weeks.

I was the last to leave work today, I tied the rope on the gate when
departing.

Security systems such as that are still in operation in rural Ireland.

Bliss!

AB

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 5 Sep 2019 22:20:01 +0100, R D S wrote:

....locks a gate.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=106...hZKejz2njIgQW-

I've always said that academic capability does not demonstrate intelligence.

I don't understand the photo. I'm guessing that the padlock is in a
bracket fixed to the gate. The handle of the bolt is bent up into a
hook which is begind the fixed part, preventing the bolt from being
slid to the right. When the padlock is removed, the hooked handle can
be rotated up by 90 degrees so that the hook is now clear of the
bracket and can be slid open.

I don't see how it could be rotated up without the padlock being
removed. So how would the intelligent OP have installed the padlock?
--
Dave W
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/09/2019 22:20, R D S wrote:
....locks a gate.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=106...hZKejz2njIgQW-

I've always said that academic capability does not demonstrate
intelligence.

It looks as if someone has used an angle grinder to cut through the
lower loop in an effort to remove the padlock. It's not obvious from the
photo that the bolt is still not in the locked position.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave W wrote:
On Thu, 5 Sep 2019 22:20:01 +0100, R D S wrote:

....locks a gate.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=106...hZKejz2njIgQW-

I've always said that academic capability does not demonstrate intelligence.

I don't understand the photo. I'm guessing that the padlock is in a
bracket fixed to the gate. The handle of the bolt is bent up into a
hook which is begind the fixed part, preventing the bolt from being
slid to the right. When the padlock is removed, the hooked handle can
be rotated up by 90 degrees so that the hook is now clear of the
bracket and can be slid open.

I don't see how it could be rotated up without the padlock being
removed. So how would the intelligent OP have installed the padlock?

The lock would normally work well in either hole but the bottom one has
clearly been previously attacked. It wouldnt take much to just twist the
lock and bend the cut loop enough to remove the lock.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well cannot obviously see that. However let me say this. I do not have any
qualifications at all, yet Racal always sent graduates recently hired to
spend a few days with me.
Need I go into details?
It has little to do with intelligence its applying knowledge and common
sense which is not enforced. its rather like the Police. They go to Hendon
and come back thick.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"R D S" wrote in message
....locks a gate.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=106...hZKejz2njIgQW-

I've always said that academic capability does not demonstrate
intelligence.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes probably no match for a stolen Range rover ramming it.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp ESQ [IRL]" wrote in
message ...
On Thu, 5 Sep 2019 22:20:01 +0100, R D S wrote:

....locks a gate.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=106...hZKejz2njIgQW-

I've always said that academic capability does not demonstrate
intelligence.

Like er what's up with it?

Obviously he lost the key to a previous padlock and used what was
available after liberating the lock with the lost key.

Although the new lock looks high security and might well be. the
application isn't. If it's for a gate it will be to deter rather than
actively stop people.

A tool would be needed to remove the lock. A good heave would suffice
no doubt on the other side.

It just takes a little thought.

Did you vote for Brexit?

AB

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 6 Sep 2019 07:49:13 +0100, alan_m
wrote:

On 05/09/2019 22:20, R D S wrote:
....locks a gate.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=106...hZKejz2njIgQW-

I've always said that academic capability does not demonstrate
intelligence.

It looks as if someone has used an angle grinder to cut through the
lower loop

I'd say it was cut with bolt croppers.

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
Well cannot obviously see that.

neither can I

he seems to have removed his picture and sulked away

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tim... wrote:

he seems to have removed his picture and sulked away

No, but you need to make sure your newsreader/browser combination
doesn't chop off the trailing hyphen from the URL

https://drive.google.com/open?id=106GYicXIuNou8zMPx-hZKejz2njIgQW-

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/09/2019 22:20, R D S wrote:
....locks a gate.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=106...hZKejz2njIgQW-

I've always said that academic capability does not demonstrate
intelligence.

It perhaps wasn't clear, given some of the followups. I was trying to
inject a little humour. Tough crowd!*

Anyway,
In locking the gate one has the choice of having the hasp(?) upwards and
then the padlock could go through the intact hoop,

Rather than downwards and have the padlock on the compromised broken hoop.

*I'l get my coat

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 6 Sep 2019 06:57:35 GMT, Tim+ wrote:

Dave W wrote:
[...]

True, but if you're going to use that much force then any
configuration could be defeated. I wondered if the bottom hole had
been deliberately cut and bent to fit the padlock closely. With the
padlock in the original large hole it might have been possible to
twist it sideways sufficiently for the bolt hook to be slipped over
it.
--
Dave W
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave W wrote:
On Thu, 5 Sep 2019 22:20:01 +0100, R D S wrote:

....locks a gate.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=106...hZKejz2njIgQW-

I've always said that academic capability does not demonstrate intelligence.

I don't understand the photo. I'm guessing that the padlock is in a
bracket fixed to the gate. The handle of the bolt is bent up into a
hook which is begind the fixed part, preventing the bolt from being
slid to the right. When the padlock is removed, the hooked handle can
be rotated up by 90 degrees so that the hook is now clear of the
bracket and can be slid open.

I don't see how it could be rotated up without the padlock being
removed. So how would the intelligent OP have installed the padlock?

The lock would normally work well in either hole but the bottom one has
clearly been previously attacked. It wouldnÂ’t take much to just twist the
lock and bend the cut loop enough to remove the lock.

Tim

True, but if you're going to use that much force then any
configuration could be defeated.

Once cut, it would take a lot less force to deform the loop than to break
it. A large screwdriver inserted through the hasp of the padlock would
probably provide enough leverage to twist the cut ring open enough to
remove the lock.

I wondered if the bottom hole had
been deliberately cut and bent to fit the padlock closely.

Why would you weaken a bolt to make it much more insecure?

With the
padlock in the original large hole it might have been possible to
twist it sideways sufficiently for the bolt hook to be slipped over
it.

Youre making no sense whatsoever.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 8 Sep 2019 07:53:22 GMT, Tim+ wrote:

snip

With the
padlock in the original large hole it might have been possible to
twist it sideways sufficiently for the bolt hook to be slipped over
it.

You’re making no sense whatsoever.

I described this elsewhere (but the chances are still not relevant to
this issue as if the padlock was small enough to leapfrog it would
likely been as easy to cut though as the hasp itself, if they wanted
to fit a lock that couldn't be leapfrogged).

Next doors back gate has a small padlock on the same design hasp and
at first inspection looks secure. However, you can easily limbo the
bolt loop over / around the lock, rendering it useless.

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/09/2019 08:53, Tim+ wrote:
Once cut, it would take a lot less force to deform the loop than to break
it. A large screwdriver inserted through the hasp of the padlock would
probably provide enough leverage to twist the cut ring open enough to
remove the lock.

High carbon steel dies not bend. It ultimately snaps.

If bolt cutters dont work and you need a grinder, it's high carbon steel.

--
€śI know that most men, including those at ease with problems of the
greatest complexity, can seldom accept even the simplest and most

ۥ Leo Tolstoy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 8 Sep 2019 11:44:24 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

On 08/09/2019 08:53, Tim+ wrote:
Once cut, it would take a lot less force to deform the loop than to break
it. A large screwdriver inserted through the hasp of the padlock would
probably provide enough leverage to twist the cut ring open enough to
remove the lock.

High carbon steel dies not bend. It ultimately snaps.

Maybe, but I doubt that hasp ring is high carbon steel.

If bolt cutters dont work and you need a grinder, it's high carbon steel.

But it looks like it was cut with bolt cutters so ...

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/09/2019 18:26, R D S wrote:
On 05/09/2019 22:20, R D S wrote:
....locks a gate.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=106...hZKejz2njIgQW-

I've always said that academic capability does not demonstrate
intelligence.

It perhaps wasn't clear, given some of the followups. I was trying to
inject a little humour. Tough crowd!*

Anyway,
In locking the gate one has the choice of having the hasp(?) upwards and
then the padlock could go through the intact hoop,

Rather than downwards and have the padlock on the compromised broken hoop.

*I'l get my coat

Anyway, i'm back with some new material, and it's much better...

This is from the other day.....

How someone degree educated locks a gate (same person, same gate!)...

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Zh...M_TyVggE_-fSIl

I'm here all week.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well, cannot see these but sadly having the best IQ in the world does not
mean you can work practical stuff out. I used to help graduates who came to
our company apply their knowledge in the real world. I feel this often where
education fails, its just too academic and this goes for Nursing as well.
Brian

--
----- --

"R D S" wrote in message
On 06/09/2019 18:26, R D S wrote:
On 05/09/2019 22:20, R D S wrote:
....locks a gate.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=106...hZKejz2njIgQW-

I've always said that academic capability does not demonstrate
intelligence.

It perhaps wasn't clear, given some of the followups. I was trying to
inject a little humour. Tough crowd!*

Anyway,
In locking the gate one has the choice of having the hasp(?) upwards and
then the padlock could go through the intact hoop,

Rather than downwards and have the padlock on the compromised broken
hoop.

*I'l get my coat

Anyway, i'm back with some new material, and it's much better...

This is from the other day.....

How someone degree educated locks a gate (same person, same gate!)...

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Zh...M_TyVggE_-fSIl

I'm here all week.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

R D S wrote:
On 06/09/2019 18:26, R D S wrote:
On 05/09/2019 22:20, R D S wrote:
....locks a gate.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=106...hZKejz2njIgQW-

I've always said that academic capability does not demonstrate
intelligence.

It perhaps wasn't clear, given some of the followups. I was trying to
inject a little humour. Tough crowd!*

Anyway,
In locking the gate one has the choice of having the hasp(?) upwards and
then the padlock could go through the intact hoop,

Rather than downwards and have the padlock on the compromised broken hoop.

*I'l get my coat

Anyway, i'm back with some new material, and it's much better...

This is from the other day.....

How someone degree educated locks a gate (same person, same gate!)...

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Zh...M_TyVggE_-fSIl

I'm here all week.

Brilliant!

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian, its a pretty normal gate/shed bolt which has a shackle loop that
can be flipped upwards or downwards over a plate with a hole in it for a
padlock. The bolt can only be pulled back when the shackle on the bolt is
horizontal, not when it is up it down

The hole for the padlock to pass through has been sawn through in the lower
locking position so it would be easy to twist off the padlock.

This time though, the user has used the undamaged top hole and affixed a
padlock to it. Just a shame he forgot to rotate the bolt shackle towards
the top first and actually secure the bolt.

Tim

Brian Gaff \(Sofa 2\) wrote:
Well, cannot see these but sadly having the best IQ in the world does not
mean you can work practical stuff out. I used to help graduates who came to
our company apply their knowledge in the real world. I feel this often where
education fails, its just too academic and this goes for Nursing as well.
Brian

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 08/09/2019 08:53, Tim+ wrote:
Once cut, it would take a lot less force to deform the loop than to break
it. A large screwdriver inserted through the hasp of the padlock would
probably provide enough leverage to twist the cut ring open enough to
remove the lock.

High carbon steel dies not bend. It ultimately snaps.

Maybe, but I doubt that hasp ring is high carbon steel.

If bolt cutters dont work and you need a grinder, it's high carbon steel.

But it looks like it was cut with bolt cutters so ...

Probably case hardened.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Case-hardening

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 8 September 2019 11:44:28 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 08/09/2019 08:53, Tim+ wrote:
Once cut, it would take a lot less force to deform the loop than to break
it. A large screwdriver inserted through the hasp of the padlock would
probably provide enough leverage to twist the cut ring open enough to
remove the lock.

High carbon steel dies not bend. It ultimately snaps.

Only true if heat treated. (Hardened as in chisels etc)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

R D S wrote in :

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Zh6Vam9o-V

I have something similar on one of my gates - it looks locked as the
padlock hangs down. But it isn't locked - but if I want to lock it I will
not have mislaid the lock.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I have something similar on one of my gates - it looks locked as the
padlock hangs down. But it isn't locked - but if I want to lock it I will
not have mislaid the lock.

Thats the point the guy might be going through the gate several times and may not want to have to use the key each time, putting the padlock on like that means it does not get misplaced until he finally needs to lock it. Used to do that myself with hasps and staples on sheds and garages if I knew I was going to use the door frequently but did not want to leave the door open.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/02/2020 17:58, Chris Hogg wrote:
Perhaps someone (NN,NPD!) should just open the gate and leave it ajar,
to emphasise the point?

She'd :cough: 'locked up' and gone, so We WhatsApp-ed her a video of us
opening it.

The missus did the commentary which included the phrase '####ing genius'.

We're all good friends so it's OK and dealt with in good humpur. At
least until it's left like that, we don't notice, and the local spice
heads clean us out.