Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default BT internet in trouble...

Keep getting calls from a paki or indian call centre from a george smith or
james patterson etc regarding my "BT internet being in big trouble".......I
tell them to feck off as I am with Virgin....does anybody know what the scam
is?......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/09/2019 10:20, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Keep getting calls from a paki or indian call centre from a george smith or
james patterson etc regarding my "BT internet being in big trouble".......I
tell them to feck off as I am with Virgin....does anybody know what the scam
is?......

Also a recorded message from someone speaking relatively good English.
Presumably directs you to a premium rate number or a person/site trying
to steal bank details.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 4 September 2019 10:32:00 UTC+1, newshound wrote:
On 04/09/2019 10:20, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Keep getting calls from a paki or indian call centre from a george smith or
james patterson etc regarding my "BT internet being in big trouble".......I
tell them to feck off as I am with Virgin....does anybody know what the scam
is?......

Also a recorded message from someone speaking relatively good English.
Presumably directs you to a premium rate number or a person/site trying
to steal bank details.

They try to persuade you to download remote access software so they
can poke around on your PC, looking for useful financial data.
Some will also try to sell you a repair service to fix the problems
that you don't have.

John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim GM4DHJ ... brought next idea :
Keep getting calls from a paki or indian call centre from a george smith or
james patterson etc regarding my "BT internet being in big trouble".......I
tell them to feck off as I am with Virgin....does anybody know what the scam
is?......

They will likely offer to get you to install something so they can take
control of your system and keylog, to steal all your banking passwords.

Feck Off is the correct way to deal with them..
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 04/09/2019 12:24, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Feck Off is the correct way to deal with them..

I disagree. The correct way is to ask them to hold on whilst you switch
the PC on. You then go back to whatever it was you were doing before
they interrupted you. The longer you keep these guys on the phone, the
more it costs them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/09/2019 12:24, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Jim GM4DHJ ... brought next idea :
Keep getting calls from a paki or indian call centre from a george
smith or
james patterson etc regarding my "BT internet being in big
trouble".......I
tell them to feck off as I am with Virgin....does anybody know what
the scam
is?......

They will likely offer to get you to install something so they can take
control of your system and keylog, to steal all your banking passwords.

Feck Off is the correct way to deal with them..

You should play them for a while if you have the time to spare - at
least that way they are not using their script on someone who might fall
for it. I generally tell them I will go and get "Fred" who knows more
about computers and leave the phone off hook whilst I continue to work.

Sometimes I get a really irate second call before I block their number.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/09/2019 10:31, newshound wrote:
On 04/09/2019 10:20, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Keep getting calls from a paki or indian call centre from a george
smith or
james patterson etc regarding my "BT internet being in big
trouble".......I
tell them to feck off as I am with Virgin....does anybody know what
the scam
is?......

Also a recorded message from someone speaking relatively good English.
Presumably directs you to a premium rate number or a person/site trying
to steal bank details.

Mostly they get you to install malware on your windows PC.

My record is 20 minutes before I told them I am not with BT and have
Linux on all my computers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Keep getting calls from a paki or indian call centre from a george smith or
james patterson etc regarding my "BT internet being in big trouble".......I
tell them to feck off as I am with Virgin....does anybody know what the scam
is?......

They come from big Indian call-centre operations, run by criminals.

My phone system has a feature to put blacklisted numbers through to an
interactive agent called Lenny, to waste their time and, amuse me.
Here's the latest BT scam call

https://youtu.be/cCdu11KDB48

and here's a good one from a few weeks back.

https://youtu.be/2o_VIabmWyM

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Graham." wrote in message
Keep getting calls from a paki or indian call centre from a george smith
or
james patterson etc regarding my "BT internet being in big
trouble".......I
tell them to feck off as I am with Virgin....does anybody know what the
scam
is?......

They come from big Indian call-centre operations, run by criminals.

My phone system has a feature to put blacklisted numbers through to an
interactive agent called Lenny, to waste their time and, amuse me.
Here's the latest BT scam call

https://youtu.be/cCdu11KDB48

and here's a good one from a few weeks back.

https://youtu.be/2o_VIabmWyM

Trouble with those is that the call center monkeys will recognise lenny very
quickly

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 5 Sep 2019 06:16:11 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Trouble with those is that the call center monkeys will recognise lenny very
quickly

Are you sure, senile idiot? Senilely sure? G

--
Bod addressing senile Rot:
"Rod, you have a sick twisted mind. I suggest you stop your mindless
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 4 Sep 2019 16:03:47 +0100, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

Who knows, but so many now give up when they get the true call, realising
they are on a hiding to nothing.
Brian

+1 I've not had a single phishing or sales call get through since I
installed a trueCall Blocker a couple of months ago.

Some genuine callers though seem to have trouble with the instructions
to "say your name then press the .... key to get connected".
(.... means I'm not revealing it, it's actually just one key press).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Davidm laid this down on his screen :
Some genuine callers though seem to have trouble with the instructions
to "say your name then press the .... key to get connected".
(.... means I'm not revealing it, it's actually just one key press).

# (or hash key) its no big secret. The genuine callers well are used to
the systems. The computer dialled nuisance calls never get through, the
foreign scam callers don't understand the recorded instruction, so that
blocks them to.

I have only ever had one live person nuisance caller actually get
through in three years.