Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How to DIY "My own website"

Usual story: looking for the voice of experience, rather than the legion
voices of Google ...

We had a friend, who had a great website (logging how he had a new house
built (from Finland) in c.2000). Unfortunately he died a couple of years
ago, and now his website has died. Every now and again, someone would
like to view his site.

I have the complete site in the form of HTML and JPG files, and I'd like
to make it available across the web again.

I'm thinking I might load it up myself. I already have Google blogs of
my own, but this isn't a blog, as such: it's a finished article.

So maybe I need my own website. Or what?

I'm not a real techie, and don't want to get involved in the nitty
gritty of coding.

I've heard of Google Sites -- maybe use that? I'm wondering what the
hidden trade-offs might be. And I don't want to *build* a site, I just
want to upload 70-odd megs of files and jpgs, in one go.

Any opinions, anyone?

Cheers
John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 2 September 2019 16:22:38 UTC+1, Another John wrote:
We had a friend, who had a great website (logging how he had a new house
built (from Finland) in c.2000). Unfortunately he died a couple of years
ago, and now his website has died. Every now and again, someone would
like to view his site.
I have the complete site in the form of HTML and JPG files, and I'd like
to make it available across the web again.

If it's still in static HTML files you need a traditional web host with FTP access, then just upload everything.

Start from about £3 a month.

https://www.tsohost.com/web-hosting

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 2 September 2019 16:22:38 UTC+1, Another John wrote:
Usual story: looking for the voice of experience, rather than the legion
voices of Google ...

We had a friend, who had a great website (logging how he had a new house
built (from Finland) in c.2000). Unfortunately he died a couple of years
ago, and now his website has died. Every now and again, someone would
like to view his site.

I have the complete site in the form of HTML and JPG files, and I'd like
to make it available across the web again.

I'd be happy to host it (for free) alongside my own site (www.newtonnet.co.uk) that covers a previous house renovation of mine. Whilst it only sits on a server in my house I take pride in keeping it (and the other sites and email hosting for friends and family) up-and-running which has been the case since 2002 with only a few hours downtime here and there.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

You also need to be careful of where he hosted it before. Some providers
claim copyright over your work, and need permission to move it. I guess they
do this to discourage people finding a better host, and as the person is no
longer with us and the site has lapsed I doubt this is relevant.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
wrote in message
On Monday, 2 September 2019 16:22:38 UTC+1, Another John wrote:
We had a friend, who had a great website (logging how he had a new house
built (from Finland) in c.2000). Unfortunately he died a couple of years
ago, and now his website has died. Every now and again, someone would
like to view his site.
I have the complete site in the form of HTML and JPG files, and I'd like
to make it available across the web again.

If it's still in static HTML files you need a traditional web host with FTP
access, then just upload everything.

Start from about 3 a month.

https://www.tsohost.com/web-hosting

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/09/2019 16:22, Another John wrote:
[...]

Have you checked it isn't already archived in the wayback machive at
archive.org?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/09/2019 16:22, Another John wrote:
Usual story: looking for the voice of experience, rather than the legion
voices of Google ...

We had a friend, who had a great website (logging how he had a new house
built (from Finland) in c.2000). Unfortunately he died a couple of years
ago, and now his website has died. Every now and again, someone would
like to view his site.

I have the complete site in the form of HTML and JPG files, and I'd like
to make it available across the web again.

Before you do that check to see if it is still archived by putting the
old URL into the wayback machine. If it is then the chances are posting
a link in your blog (or even here) with a description of what it
contains will make the archive searchable again.

https://archive.org/web/.

I'm thinking I might load it up myself. I already have Google blogs of
my own, but this isn't a blog, as such: it's a finished article.

So maybe I need my own website. Or what?

I'm not a real techie, and don't want to get involved in the nitty
gritty of coding.

You would need a domain name (approx £7 every couple of years for a
..co.uk) and some hosting (about £40/year maybe less if it is low traffic
and you don't require anything fancy by way of support or scripts).

FTP the original site image to the right place on the server and you are
done. If you can find someone with similar interests to the content then
you may be able to put the content onto their site if they are willing.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/09/2019 21:25, Mathew Newton wrote:
[...]

As an aside, what do you use to 'store' that site - a NAS? And editing
software - looks simple/effective :-)

Thinking of doing the same myself, so long as the learning curve isn't
too steep . . .

--
Cheers, Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/09/2019 08:50, Martin Brown wrote:

You would need a domain name (approx £7 every couple of years for a
.co.uk) and some hosting (about £40/year maybe less if it is low traffic
and you don't require anything fancy by way of support or scripts).

I think Google Cloud Platform and Amazon Web Services have a free tier
offering free micro servers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, September 3, 2019 at 9:02:15 AM UTC+1, RJH wrote:

I'd be happy to host it (for free) alongside my own site (www.newtonnet..co.uk) that covers a previous house renovation of mine. Whilst it only sits on a server in my house [...]

As an aside, what do you use to 'store' that site - a NAS?

It actually sits on my 'main' desktop PC (well, a Dell T20 so more of a home/small-office server really) that I use every day and hosts various other services e.g. mail server, CCTV hub etc. If it wasn't for these other tasks then a Raspberry Pi or suitable NAS would almost certainly suffice.

And editing software - looks simple/effective :-)

:-) Like many I started out with Frontpage then when I moved over to Linux used things like nvu and kompozer but now I just use a text editor which is perfectly doable for such a simple site structure. New content is limited these days though as my current house project (and 2yr old toddler) take up most of my free time!

Thinking of doing the same myself, so long as the learning curve isn't
too steep . . .

There will always be some gradient to the curve but it should be perfectly climbable given the amount of guides/HowTos out there on setting something like a Pi up with a web server. Search for 'raspberry pi web server' and there'll be loads of hits with most being variations of the same theme.

I'd definitely recommend it - I've given a few people of all backgrounds a bit of a helping hand with their own Pi's and have seen how much of a kick they have got setting something up that they (and others) can access over the Internet. Having a goal, such as a web server to host a few pages about their hobby, has been really helpful in giving something specific to aim for.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/09/2019 08:50, Martin Brown wrote:

FTP the original site image to the right place on the server and you are
done. If you can find someone with similar interests to the content then
you may be able to put the content onto their site if they are willing.

If the content is relevant, there is plenty of space available on the
diyfaq site...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/09/2019 09:30, Pancho wrote:
On 03/09/2019 08:50, Martin Brown wrote:

You would need a domain name (approx £7 every couple of years for a
.co.uk) and some hosting (about £40/year maybe less if it is low
traffic and you don't require anything fancy by way of support or
scripts).

I think Google Cloud Platform and Amazon Web Services have a free tier
offering free micro servers.

They may well do but most such offerings are of the moron user drag and
drop interface type with rigid site templates. He wants a server that
will let him upload old school bare bones HTML (some free sites may).

A sympathetic webmaster might well make available a bit of space for a
low traffic but interesting site. Old hobby sites are tiny 10's of MB
compared with even the smallest aliquot ~2GB of hosting available today.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/09/2019 11:07, Martin Brown wrote:
On 03/09/2019 09:30, Pancho wrote:
On 03/09/2019 08:50, Martin Brown wrote:

You would need a domain name (approx £7 every couple of years for a
.co.uk) and some hosting (about £40/year maybe less if it is low
traffic and you don't require anything fancy by way of support or
scripts).

I think Google Cloud Platform and Amazon Web Services have a free tier
offering free micro servers.

They may well do but most such offerings are of the moron user drag and
drop interface type with rigid site templates. He wants a server that
will let him upload old school bare bones HTML (some free sites may).

I don't think that is correct. I think they provide a basic virtual
machine. You can run what you like on it, A webserver such as Nginx,
Apache, etc, or Wordpress.

I'm not 100% on the limitations as I've only actually used a Google
Cloud paid for service, which was brilliant, but as I understand it the
free services work in the same way.

Here is a guy discussing it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIJdypOqlL4

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/09/2019 11:50, Pancho wrote:
On 03/09/2019 11:07, Martin Brown wrote:
On 03/09/2019 09:30, Pancho wrote:
On 03/09/2019 08:50, Martin Brown wrote:

You would need a domain name (approx £7 every couple of years for a
.co.uk) and some hosting (about £40/year maybe less if it is low
traffic and you don't require anything fancy by way of support or
scripts).

I think Google Cloud Platform and Amazon Web Services have a free
tier offering free micro servers.

They may well do but most such offerings are of the moron user drag
and drop interface type with rigid site templates. He wants a server
that will let him upload old school bare bones HTML (some free sites
may).

I don't think that is correct. I think they provide a basic virtual
machine. You can run what you like on it, A webserver such as Nginx,
Apache, etc, or Wordpress.

There are three broad levels of hosting.

1/. Bare bones static pages. Upload and go
2/. Restricted access to things like databases or some content
management system like word press or joomla
3/. Full virtual private server.

Oddly enough they are all similarly priced. The benefitrs of VPS is you
get to do what you want. Te downside is its more compelx to set up - you
probably need a linux guru to do that in te first instance

I'm not 100% on the limitations as I've only actually used a Google
Cloud paid for service, which was brilliant, but as I understand it the
free services work in the same way.

Here is a guy discussing it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIJdypOqlL4

--
Progress is precisely that which rules and regulations did not foresee,

Ludwig von Mises
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/09/2019 11:07, Martin Brown wrote:

A sympathetic webmaster might well make available a bit of space for a
low traffic but interesting site. Old hobby sites are tiny 10's of MB
compared with even the smallest aliquot ~2GB of hosting available today.

fx Waves!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/09/2019 10:17, Mathew Newton wrote:
On Tuesday, September 3, 2019 at 9:02:15 AM UTC+1, RJH wrote:

I'd be happy to host it (for free) alongside my own site (www.newtonnet.co.uk) that covers a previous house renovation of mine. Whilst it only sits on a server in my house [...]

As an aside, what do you use to 'store' that site - a NAS?

It actually sits on my 'main' desktop PC (well, a Dell T20 so more of a home/small-office server really) that I use every day and hosts various other services e.g. mail server, CCTV hub etc. If it wasn't for these other tasks then a Raspberry Pi or suitable NAS would almost certainly suffice.

Ah, good. I do have a NAS, which is on pretty much all the time anyway.
I wasn't sure how it would work, though, and assumed some latency/lag as
pages loaded. Yours is pretty snappy.

[...]

Thanks - I'll give it a go!

--
Cheers, Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/09/2019 16:36, RJH wrote:

Ah, good. I do have a NAS, which is on pretty much all the time anyway.
I wasn't sure how it would work, though, and assumed some latency/lag as
pages loaded. Yours is pretty snappy.

Depending on what nas it is, it might even have a web server capability
available out of the box (or available from a quick download on its apps
page). Then its just a case of telling it to create a site, sticking the
pages in the right folder, and creating a forward though the router to
allow the outside world to see it.

(having said that, basic hosting packages come setup and cheap, and
don't require the outside world get anywhere near your personal store of
files).

--
Cheers,

John.