Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Painting pebbledash

I've had the masonry painted at work, but the lower half is pebbledash
and now the rest is clean and uniform, the pebbledash looks particularly
****.

I read that painting pebbledash can make it look even worse,

Any real life opinions on this?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 29/08/2019 22:28, R D S wrote:
I've had the masonry painted at work, but the lower half is pebbledash
and now the rest is clean and uniform, the pebbledash looks particularly
****.

I read that painting pebbledash can make it look even worse,

Any real life opinions on this?

Lots of painted pebbledash around where I live. It looks fine if the
paint is in good condition, but you are letting yourself in for regular
work/expenditure repainting it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/08/2019 22:32, GB wrote:
On 29/08/2019 22:28, R D S wrote:
I've had the masonry painted at work, but the lower half is pebbledash
and now the rest is clean and uniform, the pebbledash looks
particularly ****.

I read that painting pebbledash can make it look even worse,

Any real life opinions on this?

Lots of painted pebbledash around where I live.Â* It looks fine if the
paint is in good condition, but you are letting yourself in for regular
work/expenditure repainting it.

pressure wash every 5 years and repaint every 20

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 29/08/2019 22:32, GB wrote:
On 29/08/2019 22:28, R D S wrote:
I've had the masonry painted at work, but the lower half is
pebbledash and now the rest is clean and uniform, the pebbledash
looks particularly ****.

I read that painting pebbledash can make it look even worse,

Any real life opinions on this?

Lots of painted pebbledash around where I live.Â* It looks fine if the
paint is in good condition, but you are letting yourself in for
regular work/expenditure repainting it.

pressure wash every 5 years and repaint every 20

Round where I live, a lot of the houses are around 100 years old. The
pebble dashed ones are, anyway. I'm not sure how well they'd stand up to
pressure washing.

We're in a brick house now, but our second home had white painted pebble
dash, and it was quite difficult to keep it looking good, as the air in
London is quite dirty. That was before the time of pressure washers.

Our neighbour painted his. He mixed some red paint in with the first
coat, then the second coat was pure white. That made it easy to see
whether he had missed a bit when painting.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote:
On 29/08/2019 22:32, GB wrote:
On 29/08/2019 22:28, R D S wrote:
[...]

Our previous house was rendered in something then finished with something
called €˜Terryline. Not sure about the spelling.

Im not sure when the finish was applied, I suspect in the 1960s. We bought
it in 1987/8 and it was still in excellent, sold in 1997 having done no
more than washing it, still looked excellent. I walk by the house from time
to time and it still looks very good, certainly no need for any remedial
work.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/08/2019 22:32, GB wrote:
On 29/08/2019 22:28, R D S wrote:
I've had the masonry painted at work, but the lower half is
pebbledash and now the rest is clean and uniform, the pebbledash
looks particularly ****.

I read that painting pebbledash can make it look even worse,

Any real life opinions on this?

Lots of painted pebbledash around where I live.Â* It looks fine if the
paint is in good condition, but you are letting yourself in for
regular work/expenditure repainting it.

pressure wash every 5 years and repaint every 20

A friend has just repainted pebbledash that was previously painted
approx 30 years ago. The original white looked very dirty until it was
washed prior to re-painting.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

R D S wrote:

I read that painting pebbledash can make it look even worse,

pressure wash every 5 years and repaint every 20

If you fart near the (thankfully small) panels of pebbledashing on my
house a stone or two falls out, I'd hate to see the result of pressure
washing it ..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

R D S wrote:

I read that painting pebbledash can make it look even worse,

pressure wash every 5 years and repaint every 20

If you fart near the (thankfully small) panels of pebbledashing on my
house a stone or two falls out, I'd hate to see the result of pressure
washing it ..

Indeed. Probably the most silly thing to do.

Might be better to just brush gently with a soft brush to remove
dust and crud and seal it a clear sealant of some sort, like
IKO waterseal :-

https://www.ikogroup.co.uk/product-c...pounds/page/4/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

R D S wrote:

I read that painting pebbledash can make it look even worse,

pressure wash every 5 years and repaint every 20

If you fart near the (thankfully small) panels of pebbledashing on my
house a stone or two falls out, I'd hate to see the result of pressure
washing it ..

Indeed. Probably the most silly thing to do.

Might be better to just brush gently with a soft brush to remove
dust and crud and seal it a clear sealant of some sort, like
IKO waterseal :-

https://www.ikogroup.co.uk/product-c...pounds/page/4/

Bleach is pretty good at removing a lot of crud quickly. I can't see sealing it being a great move.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 29 August 2019 22:32:30 UTC+1, GB wrote:
On 29/08/2019 22:28, R D S wrote:
I've had the masonry painted at work, but the lower half is pebbledash
and now the rest is clean and uniform, the pebbledash looks particularly
****.

I read that painting pebbledash can make it look even worse,

Any real life opinions on this?

Lots of painted pebbledash around where I live. It looks fine if the
paint is in good condition, but you are letting yourself in for regular
work/expenditure repainting it.

Pebbledash never, ever looks fine. Trouble is, poorly painted and/or maintained painted pebbledash can manage what used to seem impossible, it can look even worse.

Lots of examples round here of every everything from brand new pebbledash to dirty, flaking painted pebbledash.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 29 August 2019 22:28:47 UTC+1, R D S wrote:
I've had the masonry painted at work, but the lower half is pebbledash
and now the rest is clean and uniform, the pebbledash looks particularly
****.
I read that painting pebbledash can make it look even worse,
Any real life opinions on this?

Is it actual pebble-dash with pebbles, or 'tyrolean' finish (splatted render)?

I don't think the pebbles in pebbledash hold paint well, but painted tyrolean can look quite good, and lasts reasonably well if the environment isn't too dirty or harsh.

If the tyrolean render is coming off the substrate, get it all off and get a new breathable textured coating instead.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/09/2019 12:48, GB wrote:

You're thinking of painting your whole house black

No, it's a shop.
Pebbledash on bottom half. If you are interested Google 'Basecurve Ltd',
should show it you.

Currently the brickwork has been repainted a light blue and the big
stonework concrete grey.
(Not my first choices but exterior paint colours are somewhat limited in
the DIY sheds.)

Wondering now what to do with the pebbledash, cos now the rest of the
building looks a bit better, that aspect of it looks worse, IMO.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/09/2019 12:48, GB wrote:
You're thinking of painting your whole house black, or just a little
feature area? Before doing anything too drastic, I'd want to see a house
painted black.

10 Downing st. That has been painted or stained with some sort of
black paint/stain.

You might get a visit from the LA planning dept if anyone
objects.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 28 Sep 2019 03:34:40 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

As I think about it i'd like to paint it black.

I wouldn¢t

Nobody gives a **** what you would or wouldn't, senile pest!

cretin from Oz:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 29 August 2019 22:28:47 UTC+1, R D S wrote:

I've had the masonry painted at work, but the lower half is pebbledash
and now the rest is clean and uniform, the pebbledash looks particularly
****.

I read that painting pebbledash can make it look even worse,

Any real life opinions on this?

Non-smooth finishes love to gather dirt. Paint of course comes off after a while, looking far worse than if it was never painted. And dirt prevents paint sticking properly, so unless it's a right dog's breakfast I'd not want to paint it, even if ugly. A good clean often helps.

NT

Water proofing over pebbledash? Adrian C UK diy 19 March 11th 09 02:24 PM
Plaserboard over pebbledash?? help drobbrown UK diy 3 August 23rd 05 04:41 PM
Painting pebbledash render Mike Huskisson UK diy 0 June 28th 04 06:58 AM
Pebbledash Painting Jimbo UK diy 6 May 27th 04 06:27 PM
Andura Coatings? Need to do something about pebbledash... Fitz UK diy 5 February 28th 04 08:27 AM