DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Painting pebbledash (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/639357-painting-pebbledash.html)

R D S[_2_] August 29th 19 10:28 PM

Painting pebbledash

I've had the masonry painted at work, but the lower half is pebbledash
and now the rest is clean and uniform, the pebbledash looks particularly
****.

I read that painting pebbledash can make it look even worse,

Any real life opinions on this?

GB August 29th 19 10:32 PM

Painting pebbledash

On 29/08/2019 22:28, R D S wrote:
I've had the masonry painted at work, but the lower half is pebbledash
and now the rest is clean and uniform, the pebbledash looks particularly
****.

I read that painting pebbledash can make it look even worse,

Any real life opinions on this?

Lots of painted pebbledash around where I live. It looks fine if the
paint is in good condition, but you are letting yourself in for regular
work/expenditure repainting it.

[email protected] August 29th 19 10:53 PM

Painting pebbledash

On Thursday, 29 August 2019 22:28:47 UTC+1, R D S wrote:
I've had the masonry painted at work, but the lower half is pebbledash
and now the rest is clean and uniform, the pebbledash looks particularly
****.
I read that painting pebbledash can make it look even worse,
Any real life opinions on this?

Is it actual pebble-dash with pebbles, or 'tyrolean' finish (splatted render)?

I don't think the pebbles in pebbledash hold paint well, but painted tyrolean can look quite good, and lasts reasonably well if the environment isn't too dirty or harsh.

If the tyrolean render is coming off the substrate, get it all off and get a new breathable textured coating instead.

Owain

[email protected] August 30th 19 06:31 AM

Painting pebbledash

On Thursday, 29 August 2019 22:28:47 UTC+1, R D S wrote:

I've had the masonry painted at work, but the lower half is pebbledash
and now the rest is clean and uniform, the pebbledash looks particularly
****.

I read that painting pebbledash can make it look even worse,

Any real life opinions on this?

Non-smooth finishes love to gather dirt. Paint of course comes off after a while, looking far worse than if it was never painted. And dirt prevents paint sticking properly, so unless it's a right dog's breakfast I'd not want to paint it, even if ugly. A good clean often helps.

NT

Brian Gaff August 30th 19 07:29 AM

Painting pebbledash

Yes I saw one person getting it sprayed on about 10 years ago, people tell
me its lasted very well, but no idea what they actually used.

Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!

Brian Gaff August 30th 19 07:31 AM

Painting pebbledash

Yes I had to have the render fixed, then the joins sealed and then a special
bonding coat of some disgusting looking stuff, and then the textured. I
think the product was Wall. Its been pretty amazing for over 15 years, I
have to say.
Its not a DIY thing though, but, I feel it was worth the extra.
Brian

--
----- --

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] August 30th 19 07:55 AM

Painting pebbledash

On 29/08/2019 22:32, GB wrote:
On 29/08/2019 22:28, R D S wrote:
I've had the masonry painted at work, but the lower half is pebbledash
and now the rest is clean and uniform, the pebbledash looks
particularly ****.

I read that painting pebbledash can make it look even worse,

Any real life opinions on this?

Lots of painted pebbledash around where I live.Â* It looks fine if the
paint is in good condition, but you are letting yourself in for regular
work/expenditure repainting it.

pressure wash every 5 years and repaint every 20

GB August 30th 19 10:10 AM

Painting pebbledash

On 29/08/2019 22:32, GB wrote:
On 29/08/2019 22:28, R D S wrote:
I've had the masonry painted at work, but the lower half is
pebbledash and now the rest is clean and uniform, the pebbledash
looks particularly ****.

I read that painting pebbledash can make it look even worse,

Any real life opinions on this?

Lots of painted pebbledash around where I live.Â* It looks fine if the
paint is in good condition, but you are letting yourself in for
regular work/expenditure repainting it.

pressure wash every 5 years and repaint every 20

Round where I live, a lot of the houses are around 100 years old. The
pebble dashed ones are, anyway. I'm not sure how well they'd stand up to
pressure washing.

We're in a brick house now, but our second home had white painted pebble
dash, and it was quite difficult to keep it looking good, as the air in
London is quite dirty. That was before the time of pressure washers.

Our neighbour painted his. He mixed some red paint in with the first
coat, then the second coat was pure white. That made it easy to see
whether he had missed a bit when painting.

alan_m August 30th 19 05:24 PM

Painting pebbledash

On 29/08/2019 22:32, GB wrote:
On 29/08/2019 22:28, R D S wrote:
I've had the masonry painted at work, but the lower half is
pebbledash and now the rest is clean and uniform, the pebbledash
looks particularly ****.

I read that painting pebbledash can make it look even worse,

Any real life opinions on this?

Lots of painted pebbledash around where I live.Â* It looks fine if the
paint is in good condition, but you are letting yourself in for
regular work/expenditure repainting it.

pressure wash every 5 years and repaint every 20

A friend has just repainted pebbledash that was previously painted
approx 30 years ago. The original white looked very dirty until it was
washed prior to re-painting.

Andy Burns[_13_] August 31st 19 08:08 AM

Painting pebbledash

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

R D S wrote:

I read that painting pebbledash can make it look even worse,

pressure wash every 5 years and repaint every 20

If you fart near the (thankfully small) panels of pebbledashing on my
house a stone or two falls out, I'd hate to see the result of pressure
washing it ..

polygonum_on_google[_2_] August 31st 19 09:55 AM

Painting pebbledash

On Thursday, 29 August 2019 22:32:30 UTC+1, GB wrote:
On 29/08/2019 22:28, R D S wrote:
I've had the masonry painted at work, but the lower half is pebbledash
and now the rest is clean and uniform, the pebbledash looks particularly
****.

I read that painting pebbledash can make it look even worse,

Any real life opinions on this?

Lots of painted pebbledash around where I live. It looks fine if the
paint is in good condition, but you are letting yourself in for regular
work/expenditure repainting it.

Pebbledash never, ever looks fine. Trouble is, poorly painted and/or maintained painted pebbledash can manage what used to seem impossible, it can look even worse.

Lots of examples round here of every everything from brand new pebbledash to dirty, flaking painted pebbledash.

Andrew[_22_] August 31st 19 01:42 PM

Painting pebbledash

R D S wrote:

I read that painting pebbledash can make it look even worse,

pressure wash every 5 years and repaint every 20

If you fart near the (thankfully small) panels of pebbledashing on my
house a stone or two falls out, I'd hate to see the result of pressure
washing it ..

Indeed. Probably the most silly thing to do.

Might be better to just brush gently with a soft brush to remove
dust and crud and seal it a clear sealant of some sort, like
IKO waterseal :-

https://www.ikogroup.co.uk/product-c...pounds/page/4/

[email protected] August 31st 19 06:40 PM

Painting pebbledash

R D S wrote:

I read that painting pebbledash can make it look even worse,

pressure wash every 5 years and repaint every 20

If you fart near the (thankfully small) panels of pebbledashing on my
house a stone or two falls out, I'd hate to see the result of pressure
washing it ..

Indeed. Probably the most silly thing to do.

Might be better to just brush gently with a soft brush to remove
dust and crud and seal it a clear sealant of some sort, like
IKO waterseal :-

https://www.ikogroup.co.uk/product-c...pounds/page/4/

Bleach is pretty good at removing a lot of crud quickly. I can't see sealing it being a great move.

NT

R D S[_2_] September 7th 19 01:53 PM

Painting pebbledash

On 29/08/2019 22:53, wrote:

Is it actual pebble-dash with pebbles, or 'tyrolean' finish (splatted render)?

Looks like pebble dash but multicoloured stone chippings.

As others have suggested it looks like just the right texture to gather
dirt, so i'll either leave it or paint it the colour of the grey dust
that seems to settle on everything, presumably from all the traffic!

R D S[_2_] September 27th 19 11:50 AM

Painting pebbledash

On 07/09/2019 13:53, R D S wrote:
On 29/08/2019 22:53, wrote:

Is it actual pebble-dash with pebbles, or 'tyrolean' finish (splatted
render)?

Looks like pebble dash but multicoloured stone chippings.

As others have suggested it looks like just the right texture to gather
dirt, so i'll either leave it or paint it the colour of the grey dust
that seems to settle on everything, presumably from all the traffic!

As I think about it i'd like to paint it black.
And I thought of a gloss finish? But the price of suitable paint is
putting me off, it's a fair area.

So i'm looking for paint recommendations, reasonable price, smooth
finish....

GB September 27th 19 12:48 PM

Painting pebbledash

On 27/09/2019 11:50, R D S wrote:
On 07/09/2019 13:53, R D S wrote:
On 29/08/2019 22:53, wrote:

Is it actual pebble-dash with pebbles, or 'tyrolean' finish (splatted
render)?

Looks like pebble dash but multicoloured stone chippings.

As others have suggested it looks like just the right texture to
gather dirt, so i'll either leave it or paint it the colour of the
grey dust that seems to settle on everything, presumably from all the
traffic!

As I think about it i'd like to paint it black.

You're thinking of painting your whole house black, or just a little
feature area? Before doing anything too drastic, I'd want to see a house
painted black.

R D S[_2_] September 27th 19 12:59 PM

Painting pebbledash

On 27/09/2019 12:48, GB wrote:

You're thinking of painting your whole house black

No, it's a shop.
Pebbledash on bottom half. If you are interested Google 'Basecurve Ltd',
should show it you.

Currently the brickwork has been repainted a light blue and the big
stonework concrete grey.
(Not my first choices but exterior paint colours are somewhat limited in
the DIY sheds.)

Wondering now what to do with the pebbledash, cos now the rest of the
building looks a bit better, that aspect of it looks worse, IMO.

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] September 27th 19 01:49 PM

Painting pebbledash

On 27/09/2019 11:50, R D S wrote:
On 07/09/2019 13:53, R D S wrote:
On 29/08/2019 22:53, wrote:

Is it actual pebble-dash with pebbles, or 'tyrolean' finish (splatted
render)?

Looks like pebble dash but multicoloured stone chippings.

As others have suggested it looks like just the right texture to
gather dirt, so i'll either leave it or paint it the colour of the
grey dust that seems to settle on everything, presumably from all the
traffic!

As I think about it i'd like to paint it black.
And I thought of a gloss finish? But the price of suitable paint is
putting me off, it's a fair area.

So i'm looking for paint recommendations, reasonable price, smooth
finish....

I've used Sandtex on smooth render and on stucco. Its a tad more hard to
paint a rough surface. After 15 years I pressure washed it. Came up
luvly. I've repainted some bits that had had a hard time with the exact
same color. You can barely see the joins.

https://www.sandtextrade.co.uk/produ...-matt-masonry/

can mix any colour you want.

--
When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over
the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that

Frédéric Bastiat

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] September 27th 19 01:52 PM

Painting pebbledash

On 27/09/2019 12:59, R D S wrote:
On 27/09/2019 12:48, GB wrote:

You're thinking of painting your whole house black

No, it's a shop.
Pebbledash on bottom half. If you are interested Google 'Basecurve Ltd',
should show it you.

Currently the brickwork has been repainted a light blue and the big
stonework concrete grey.
(Not my first choices but exterior paint colours are somewhat limited in
the DIY sheds.)

Then go to a BM.

I've used Ridgeons and Kent Blaxhill for my paints. Mix any color you like.

Especailly sandtex trade :-)

Wondering now what to do with the pebbledash, cos now the rest of the
building looks a bit better, that aspect of it looks worse, IMO.

Use same paint as brickwork.

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] September 27th 19 01:55 PM

Painting pebbledash

On 27/09/2019 12:59, R D S wrote:
On 27/09/2019 12:48, GB wrote:

You're thinking of painting your whole house black

No, it's a shop.
Pebbledash on bottom half. If you are interested Google 'Basecurve Ltd',
should show it you.

Currently the brickwork has been repainted a light blue and the big
stonework concrete grey.
(Not my first choices but exterior paint colours are somewhat limited in
the DIY sheds.)

Wondering now what to do with the pebbledash, cos now the rest of the
building looks a bit better, that aspect of it looks worse, IMO.

Oh sandtext trade paint from here
UNIT 5,DRUMSTONE TRADE PARK
GRIMSHAW PARK ROAD
BLACKBURN
BB2 3AH

Andrew[_22_] September 27th 19 02:10 PM

Painting pebbledash

On 27/09/2019 12:48, GB wrote:
You're thinking of painting your whole house black, or just a little
feature area? Before doing anything too drastic, I'd want to see a house
painted black.

10 Downing st. That has been painted or stained with some sort of
black paint/stain.

You might get a visit from the LA planning dept if anyone
objects.

[email protected] September 27th 19 02:18 PM

Painting pebbledash

On Friday, 27 September 2019 12:59:18 UTC+1, R D S wrote:
Pebbledash on bottom half. If you are interested Google 'Basecurve Ltd',
should show it you.

Next to Kebabish Chippery?

Currently the brickwork has been repainted a light blue and the big
stonework concrete grey.
Wondering now what to do with the pebbledash, cos now the rest of the
building looks a bit better, that aspect of it looks worse, IMO.

A pale colour (eg the same light blue) may show the difference in textures between the brick and render more. A darker blue all over with the stonework showing lighter gray might look better.

Then you will have a good contrast to light or reflective letter signage.

Personally I'd prefer to take all the render and the signboards off and return the whole wall to original coursed stone, but budget and the underlying condition might not allow that.

Owain

[email protected] September 27th 19 02:21 PM

Painting pebbledash

On Friday, 27 September 2019 14:11:10 UTC+1, Andrew wrote:
10 Downing st. That has been painted or stained with some sort of
black paint/stain.

Mmmm, that's the whole terrace though. And the brick was originally yellow, turned black with pollution, returned to yellow when cleaned and was then painted to look black again.

Owain

R D S[_2_] September 27th 19 02:46 PM

Painting pebbledash

On 27/09/2019 14:18, wrote:

Personally I'd prefer to take all the render and the signboards off and return the whole wall to original coursed stone, but budget and the underlying condition might not allow that.

(Went to your inbox sorry...)

I considered having it removed, but exactly, what might lie beneath...

[email protected] September 27th 19 06:14 PM

Painting pebbledash

On Friday, 27 September 2019 14:46:55 UTC+1, R D S wrote:
Personally I'd prefer to take all the render and the signboards off
and return the whole wall to original coursed stone, but budget
and the underlying condition might not allow that.

(Went to your inbox sorry...)

That's okay, that domain expired last century :-)

I considered having it removed, but exactly, what might lie beneath...

At least you could re-render in smooth paintable render.

Owain

Rod Speed September 27th 19 06:34 PM

Painting pebbledash

"R D S" wrote in message
On 07/09/2019 13:53, R D S wrote:
On 29/08/2019 22:53, wrote:

Is it actual pebble-dash with pebbles, or 'tyrolean' finish (splatted
render)?

Looks like pebble dash but multicoloured stone chippings.

As others have suggested it looks like just the right texture to gather
dirt, so i'll either leave it or paint it the colour of the grey dust
that seems to settle on everything, presumably from all the traffic!

As I think about it i'd like to paint it black.

I wouldnt, that shows the dirt very badly.

Peeler[_4_] September 27th 19 07:06 PM

Lonely Psychopathic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!

On Sat, 28 Sep 2019 03:34:40 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

As I think about it i'd like to paint it black.

I wouldn¢t

Nobody gives a **** what you would or wouldn't, senile pest!

cretin from Oz:

[email protected] September 27th 19 11:28 PM

Painting pebbledash

On Friday, 27 September 2019 12:59:18 UTC+1, R D S wrote:

No, it's a shop.
Pebbledash on bottom half. If you are interested Google 'Basecurve Ltd',
should show it you.

nothing remotely relevant comes up

Roger Hayter[_2_] September 28th 19 12:26 AM

Painting pebbledash

wrote:

On Friday, 27 September 2019 12:59:18 UTC+1, R D S wrote:

No, it's a shop.
Pebbledash on bottom half. If you are interested Google 'Basecurve Ltd',
should show it you.

nothing remotely relevant comes up

Except a Google Earth URL that is almost in the right place (look to
your right) to see the front of a shop identifiable from the
description.

--

Roger Hayter

Graeme[_7_] September 28th 19 08:39 AM

Painting pebbledash

In message , Roger Hayter
writes
wrote:

nothing remotely relevant comes up

Except a Google Earth URL that is almost in the right place (look to
your right) to see the front of a shop identifiable from the
description.

The name of the business on the blue door on the corner helps, too :-)
--
Graeme

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] September 28th 19 08:54 AM

Painting pebbledash

On 28/09/2019 00:26, Roger Hayter wrote:
wrote:

On Friday, 27 September 2019 12:59:18 UTC+1, R D S wrote:

No, it's a shop.
Pebbledash on bottom half. If you are interested Google 'Basecurve Ltd',
should show it you.

nothing remotely relevant comes up

Except a Google Earth URL that is almost in the right place (look to
your right) to see the front of a shop identifiable from the
description.

[sotto voce] Huge is a bit DIM...

"What kind of person is not interested in those things?"

"Jeremy Corbyn?"

Andy Burns[_13_] September 28th 19 09:13 AM

Painting pebbledash

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

[sotto voce] Huge is a bit DIM...

He hasn't been seen here for months (unless my killfile has nabbed him
accidentally?)

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] September 28th 19 09:14 AM

Painting pebbledash

On 28/09/2019 09:13, Andy Burns wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

[sotto voce] Huge is a bit DIM...

He hasn't been seen here for months (unless my killfile has nabbed him
accidentally?)

he has, but he is now in my kill file

--
€œIt is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established
authorities are wrong.€

ۥ Voltaire, The Age of Louis XIV

R D S[_2_] September 28th 19 12:08 PM

Painting pebbledash

On 27/09/2019 18:14, wrote:

At least you could re-render in smooth paintable render.

Something else i've considered. I wonder what the cost would be.
It might be going up for sale soon....

GB September 28th 19 12:35 PM

Painting pebbledash

On 28/09/2019 12:08, R D S wrote:
On 27/09/2019 18:14, wrote:

At least you could re-render in smooth paintable render.

Something else i've considered. I wonder what the cost would be.
It might be going up for sale soon....

If you are going to sell it, don't think about the colour scheme you
like, but the one least likely to put off the majority of sellers.
Indeed, consider whether the majority of sellers would prefer unpainted
pebbledash. Perhaps ask the estate agent.

[email protected] September 28th 19 11:48 PM

Painting pebbledash

On Saturday, 28 September 2019 08:40:59 UTC+1, Graeme wrote:
In message , Roger Hayter
writes
tabbypurr wrote:

nothing remotely relevant comes up

Except a Google Earth URL that is almost in the right place (look to
your right) to see the front of a shop identifiable from the
description.

The name of the business on the blue door on the corner helps, too :-)

doesn't help in the slightest when nothing even vaguely like it comes up.

NT

Graeme[_7_] September 29th 19 07:29 AM

Painting pebbledash

In message ,
writes
On Saturday, 28 September 2019 08:40:59 UTC+1, Graeme wrote:

The name of the business on the blue door on the corner helps, too :-)

doesn't help in the slightest when nothing even vaguely like it comes up.

You are the only person who seems to be having a problem, and we're all
following the same clue.
--
Graeme

Brian Reay[_6_] September 29th 19 08:20 AM

Painting pebbledash

GB wrote:
On 29/08/2019 22:32, GB wrote:
On 29/08/2019 22:28, R D S wrote:
[...]

Our previous house was rendered in something then finished with something
called €˜Terryline. Not sure about the spelling.

Im not sure when the finish was applied, I suspect in the 1960s. We bought
it in 1987/8 and it was still in excellent, sold in 1997 having done no
more than washing it, still looked excellent. I walk by the house from time
to time and it still looks very good, certainly no need for any remedial
work.

[email protected] September 29th 19 11:01 AM

Painting pebbledash

On Saturday, 28 September 2019 23:48:57 UTC+1, wrote:
doesn't help in the slightest when nothing even vaguely like it comes up.

https://tinyurl.com/pebbledash

To the left of Kebabish.

Owain

[email protected] September 29th 19 11:24 AM

Painting pebbledash

On Sunday, 29 September 2019 11:01:26 UTC+1, wrote:
On Saturday, 28 September 2019 23:48:57 UTC+1, tabby wrote:

doesn't help in the slightest when nothing even vaguely like it comes up.

https://tinyurl.com/pebbledash

To the left of Kebabish.

Owain

I see it just fine there.

Anyway, black is the worst colour for pebbeledash. It shows dirt terribly & cooks in summer.

NT